And Other Stories French-language reading group discussion

The Translatability of Celine

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rozzer (new)

Rozzer Do you think Celine can be translated? I've been reading him, in French, for a very long time. I've tried to read an English translation of Voyage and it felt like sex with ten rubbers. And Queneau. Can he be translated? After recently joining GR and starting to list and review books, I've come face to face with the translatability problem for the first time in a long time. What do you think?

message 2: by Christian (last edited Apr 24, 2013 09:00AM) (new)

Christian Adam (christianrib) | 4 comments The problem with Translation is that it can not be too litteral or you lose the jist of most of the Intent of the author, and cannot be too adapted to fit the culture of the translated language or you'll end up rewriting the entire book and risk imposing the translator's own interpretation of the Author's words. The best translations are the ones where the Translator works closely with the original author and the collaboration and the Brain picking is as complete as possible. But that can only be done among contemporaries unfortunately. So until we invent a time machine, for those lucky few who can, the Original language version is best, otherwise, one monst be content with the diminished light of the book as it comes through the prism of the Translation.