Dreamspinner Press discussion

Ryan Loveless
This topic is about Ryan Loveless
Meet the Author > Meet Ryan Loveless

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dreamspinner (last edited Jun 09, 2012 07:56AM) (new)

Dreamspinner Press (dreamspinnerpress) | 2637 comments Mod
Ryan Loveless, author of Kaden's Colors, joins us today from 4-7pm EST to chat about her books, answer questions, and more!

message 2: by Ryan (last edited Jun 09, 2012 01:03PM) (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Hello! This is my first chat, so let me say thank you to anyone who stops by for it.

Kaden's Colors by Ryan Loveless is my new release. I'll be giving that away today.

In addition to talking about that, I'll be sharing excerpts with my other work that fall under the DSP umbrella and giving away something from my backlist.

These are my other DSP titles:

Offside by Ryan Loveless Off the Page by Ryan Loveless The Forgotten Man by Ryan Loveless The Gift by Ryan Loveless Uniform Appeal by Anne Regan Men of Steel by Julianne Bentley

OK, let's do this!

message 3: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Question for you: have you read anything by me or is my work new to you?

message 4: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Starting things off with the blurb from Kaden's Colors by Ryan Loveless :

The first alien immigrants arrived on Earth long before Henry Mekes was born. Now they’re policed by the government, forbidden from attending school, and assigned menial jobs to prevent them from becoming drains on human society. Twenty-two-year-old Kaden, for example, was assigned the job of sex worker.

When eighteen-year-old Henry and his friend Ellil meet Kaden in a grotty backroom to avail themselves of his services, alien rights are the furthest thing from their minds. It’s not until afterward, when Henry is trying to remind himself aliens can’t get enough of sex, that he questions his actions and the rules of the world he lives in.

Something about Kaden compels Henry to return again and again—but only as a friend. Soon he and his classmates hatch a plan to free Kaden, but even if they succeed, the world is still full of prejudice against aliens—and those who love them.

message 5: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Excerpt from Kaden's Colors by Ryan Loveless . If anyone attended the blog party I did a few days ago, this is a fresh one. :)

Madsen whistled a soft tune to the alien. It oriented its head toward him. Madsen wiped a cotton ball over its buttocks, which were red from the night’s hand slaps, and injected something into one cheek.

“What’s that for?” Henry said.

“Helps keep him calm when I untie him.”

Henry didn’t see how it could be any calmer, but right then its left ankle twitched as if putting up a mild fight before it stilled. There was something else that struck him as odd about Madsen’s statement, but it was so strange that it took a moment for him to put his finger on it. As he thought about it, Madsen undid all the bonds, taking care to inspect each bit of newly freed skin and rubbing ointment on any red spots. He moved around to Kaden’s ass, and Henry thought that now Madsen would take his turn, but instead of fucking it, he spread more ointment on his fingers and rubbed it inside.

“You called it ‘he’,” Henry said, realizing.

Madsen glanced at him, his expression a mirror of the pained one Professor Duffy used when someone missed an easy answer, and then returned his attention to Kaden. “You got a pet?”

“Yeah.”

“You call it ‘it’?” Madsen patted Kaden’s back as he continued stroking his fingers inside it.

“No.” Lucy was a part of the family. Henry had got the little dog when he was seven. Of course he didn’t think of her as “it”.

“Even though it’s an animal?”

“I guess….” He’d never thought about it like that.

“Well, Kaden is an alien, not an animal. He’s as bright as you and me when he isn’t drugged. So, if you can’t give him the same pronoun you give a pet….”

“But I always heard that aliens…” were lower than beasts, would die off if humans didn’t make sure they took care of themselves…. Henry could rattle off a hundred things he’d heard. There was a reason the government kept them under care and that was that aliens couldn’t care for themselves. If they could, they wouldn’t have turned their planets into barren wastelands. Granted, Earth wasn’t much better, but humankind had come to its senses and stopped the damage before it resulted in its destruction.

“You think I’d stick my fingers up a dog’s ass?” Madsen snapped.

“No, sir,” Henry said, falling into school protocol for behavior around a pissed-off adult.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the men who come in here would—hell, they probably wouldn’t even notice if I switched Kaden out for one—but that’s a reflection on them, not on Kaden. You get it?”

“Yes, sir.”

Madsen grunted an acknowledgment and turned his attention back to Kaden.

With its bonds off, Kaden could wiggle a little, and he—Henry tried out the pronoun—got enough leverage to pull his chest off the table. For the first time, Henry could see the hard cock that had been trapped there all night. It looked as human as the rest of him. With the final question of Kaden’s appearance that might distinguish him from humans gone, Henry had no way of knowing what separated Kaden from himself, except that Kaden spent each night on the table and Henry spent each night on the floor beside it. Madsen reached beneath him and pulled him off in a few strokes, sending streams of ejaculate shooting across the table. He caught Kaden and pulled him backward before he could collapse in it. Thinking of Kaden as “he” instead of “it” was strange, but not as weird as Henry had expected. He could maybe get used to it, given time.

“That’s my good boy.” Madsen talked as if he had forgotten Henry was there, and Kaden acted like it too, his eyes drugged and hazy as he arched backward and stretched his arms up and behind himself to wrap around Madsen’s neck and hold on. Madsen stroked his stomach. Henry saw it for the first time. It was pale beneath the freckles and dusting of reddish-blond hair. Kaden’s nipples were red from rubbing the table all night long. Madsen dabbed ointment over them.

“You called him a boy?” Henry asked.

“What the hell else am I gonna call him?” Madsen’s mood tipped over to exasperation. “You go on back to your school now, before you really get on my nerves.” He picked Kaden up, put his feet on the floor, and guided him toward a door in the back that Henry had never seen opened. He’d assumed it was a supply closet. Standing, Kaden was a head taller than Henry. Madsen unlocked the door with a key from his pocket, and Henry caught a glimpse of a mattress inside and a jug of water beside it. Maybe that was where Madsen fucked Kaden. Henry couldn’t imagine that Madsen didn’t fuck Kaden, but Madsen laid him down and pulled a blanket over him. He turned back to the door and saw Henry still standing there.

“I told you to go on,” he said. There was a book in his hand now, something tattered, the binding broken so much that Henry couldn’t read the title on the spine. Henry opened his mouth to explain himself, but Madsen closed the door on him.

Henry took off. All the while words echoed in his head: “My good boy” and the ones that he now questioned if he’d heard: “Help me.”

message 6: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Another question for you: what attracts you most to a book? (e.g. what do you look for in the characters, the story, the cover, etc.?)

message 7: by Mardi (new)

Mardi (mardi_s) | 4 comments I try to read everything you write! :)

Hawk

Ryan wrote: "Hello! This is my first chat, so let me say thank you to anyone who stops by for it.

Kaden's Colors by Ryan Loveless is my new release. I'll be giving that away today.

In addition to talking about th..."

message 8: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Mardi wrote: "I try to read everything you write! :)

Hawk

Ryan wrote: "Hello! This is my first chat, so let me say thank you to anyone who stops by for it.

Kaden's Colors by Ryan Loveless is my new release. I'll ..."

Thanks Sweetie! I appreciate you. Thanks for being here!

message 9: by Serena (new)

Serena Yates (serenayates) Ryan wrote: "Question for you: have you read anything by me or is my work new to you?"

Hey Ryan! I've read The Gift and totally adored it. Nothing since then, I am afraid, but I must admit that Kaden's Colors sounds intriguing!

message 10: by Serena (new)

Serena Yates (serenayates) Ryan wrote: "Excerpt from Kaden's Colors by Ryan Loveless. If anyone attended the blog party I did a few days ago, this is a fresh one. :)

Madsen whistled a soft tune to the alien. It oriented its head toward him...."

Wow, you got me with that one...

message 11: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Serena wrote: "Ryan wrote: "Question for you: have you read anything by me or is my work new to you?"

Hey Ryan! I've read The Gift and totally adored it. Nothing since then, I am afraid, but I must admit that Ka..."

I've been busy and varied since The Gift. I hope you'll give me another try some time. I know you read a lot!

message 12: by Mardi (new)

Mardi (mardi_s) | 4 comments Love this teaser...

Ryan wrote: "Excerpt from Kaden's Colors by Ryan Loveless. If anyone attended the blog party I did a few days ago, this is a fresh one. :)

Madsen whistled a soft tune to the alien. It oriented its head toward him...."

message 13: by Mardi (new)

Mardi (mardi_s) | 4 comments A good cover is definitely a plus ;) but then it's the opening paragraph and the first few pages (or sometimes paragraphs. If it doesn't grab me, I walk away. There a a lot of books to read and too little time to be wasted on something that doesn't suck me into the story. Oh -- and grammar. I'm pretty picky about typos and grammar fail!

Ryan wrote: "Another question for you: what attracts you most to a book? (e.g. what do you look for in the characters, the story, the cover, etc.?)"

message 14: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Serena wrote: "Ryan wrote: "Question for you: have you read anything by me or is my work new to you?"

Hey Ryan! I've read The Gift and totally adored it. Nothing since then, I am afraid, but I must admit that Ka..."

The librarian in me wants to give you recs for which of my work you might best enjoy based on what you liked in The Gift, but I don't think I'm supposed to talk about my non-DSP work here, so unfortunately I couldn't be as complete as I'd like. Kaden's Colors is hugely different from The Gift. Between being scifi and sort of YA, it's something new for me. :)

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments Serena wrote: "Ryan wrote: "Question for you: have you read anything by me or is my work new to you?"

Hi Ryan! I have the Gift on my to-read list. Could we have an excerpt from that?

What kind of story have you always wanted to write, but afraid you couldn't do it justice? You know, you unwritten masterpiece :)

message 16: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Mardi wrote: "There a a lot of books to read and too little time to be wasted on something that doesn't suck me into the story. "

So true! I tend to complete everything I start reading, but sometimes it's only after I've put the book aside for a few months. Sometimes it feels like punishment, but other times I'm glad I persevered.

message 17: by Crissy (new)

Crissy Morris | 15 comments Hey Ryan! I just wanted to drop in and tell you that I really enjoyed Kaden's Colors! I look forward to reading more of your work!

message 18: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Crystal wrote: "Hey Ryan! I just wanted to drop in and tell you that I really enjoyed Kaden's Colors! I look forward to reading more of your work!"

Thank you so much! I've been nervous about it because it's a new genre for me, plus I've never written about teenagers before. I'm delighted to hear a positive opinion. :)

message 19: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Susan wrote: "Hi Ryan! I have the Gift on my to-read list. Could we have an excerpt from that?"

Yes. I've got one planned. :) I'll get it up in a minute.

What kind of story have you always wanted to write, but afraid you couldn't do it justice? You know, you unwritten masterpiece :)

I tend to run at challenges full on, which is why The Forgotten Man and Kaden's Colors exist. (Can I write a historical? Can I write YA or scifi?) However, the one story that for years I've wanted to write but didn't know if I could was a story that featured a character with Tourette's Syndrome, which is something that I have a lot of experience with. I've been trying since I was a kid to do this and always hit a wall. Last year inspiration bashed me upside the head and I started writing again, this time to completion. I am so proud of myself to say that I've done it and the result, called "Ethan, Who Loved Carter" will be available from DSP in September.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments Ryan wrote: "I am so proud of myself to say that I've done it and the result, called "Ethan, Who Loved Carter" will be available from DSP in September."

Congratulations! Could we perhaps get a blurp or a small excerpt from that? If you don't want to give out that kind of thing on something that hasn't come out yet, that's cool :)

message 21: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Susan asked for an excerpt from The Gift by Ryan Loveless . This was my first story with DSP, and the first story I ever sold anywhere. I know several authors who sold on their first go. I was not one of those people. I got a decent share of rejections over several years of submitting various projects to various publishers, both epub and traditional, so seeing that first contract in my inbox was a sweet moment. Ah, nostalgia.

Here's a blurb: It took Sean's life-threatening illness to make Lucas realize he was in love with his friend. Now that Sean has recovered, Lucas is determined to give him a birthday gift that will express the feelings he hasn't managed to voice... the gift of himself. However, when Lucas's past negative experiences get in the way, Lucas fears the gift will be ruined. Sean reminds him that Lucas promised him everything, and that's what Sean wants. In return, Sean will give Lucas a gift he never expected... unconditional love.

Excerpt:

Lucas wouldn't say that he was nervous about the plans he'd made--mainly because no one had asked--and it was hot enough that he could tell himself that his palms were sweating because of the heat. When Lucas had thought it up, it seemed perfect. But then Mags gave Sean a day of mini-golf and ice cream, and Sean
loved it and, well, Lucas's present was a little more serious than that, and maybe Sean didn't want serious on his birthday.

Lucas wouldn't be surprised if Sean didn't want serious at all. Ever. And here his great idea was to give Sean willingly what he'd only reluctantly given Brad after a whole lot of begging and blow jobs and that he'd never given Thomas, his next boyfriend, at all. He probably needed to have his head examined.

As he was subjected to another barrage of trash talk on the putt-putt course because his sweaty palms kept making his grip slip, Lucas second-guessed himself yet again. He wanted to give Sean something that would show just how glad he was to have Sean in his life. He'd talked about it with Mags. It had been her idea to discuss gifts. She had asked Lucas about the golf and ice cream. And Lucas had asked her if she thought Sean would like to fuck him. (He had used a more polite word than "fuck".) It might have been weird talking about it with someone else, but they'd gotten close while Sean was ill and Mags was the kind of person you could talk to about anything. She'd not only given her enthusiastic
approval, she'd noticed that he was practically stammering and volunteered to make herself scarce so Lucas didn't die of embarrassment when he told Sean.

So after they came back from the mini-golf, Mags announced that she was going to dinner and a movie with her girlfriends on Sean's birthday night. She shut off Sean's protests by kissing him and cheerily announcing that he still had Lucas's gift to look forward to. Then she swept out the door, leaving Sean smiling expectantly at Lucas and Lucas wondering if he was really up for this. He'd only bottomed a handful of times for a reason: he hated it. But for Sean, he was going to put on his happy face and do it.

"So," Sean said. "What'd you get me?" He was bouncing a little on the balls of his feet and leaning to the side, as if he were trying to see behind Lucas's back, even though Lucas had his hands in front of him and there wasn't anything behind him except the living room with its single couch and flat-screen TV.

Lucas swallowed and stepped toward him.

"Hey." Sean put his hands up. "Whatever you got me, I know I'll love it. Why do you look like you're heading for an execution?"

"I just want to give you something you'll remember," Lucas said. He chewed on his lip and had to look down because he couldn't remember ever being this nervous, not about the act of bottoming—the feeling there was more "get it over with"—but because he was offering it as a gift. It was stupid; he knew that, but he couldn't help it. If Sean didn't like it, Lucas didn't know what he'd do. Sean closed the space between them and put his arms around Lucas's waist. He nestled his cheek against the space below Lucas's shoulder, a place that seemed to be made just for that purpose.

"I promise I'll love whatever you got me, even if it's a scrapbook kit." Sean paused and looked up, squinting and resting his chin on Lucas's chest. "It's not a scrapbook kit, is it?"

"No. It's… not." Lucas squeezed his eyes closed, just for a second, and squeezed Sean. "It's… me." He held himself still, waiting for Sean's reaction.

And there wasn't one. Lucas shifted as Sean blinked at him. "I already have you," Sean said finally, and then Lucas understood. Sean hadn't gotten it. So he dragged one hand from Sean's back and down his arm to Sean's wrist, which he circled and pulled away from his own back, pushing it downwards until it was touching Lucas's ass. Lucas held it there.

"You get me," he repeated.

A second passed. Lucas wet his lips. His throat was parched. Come on, come on, come on. He tried to drill his meaning into Sean's brain with his eyes, tried to silently beg Sean to not make him say it.

Sean's hand was suddenly against Lucas's cheek, framing it gently. "Oh," he said. And then: "Oh. You're sure?"

Lucas nodded. "Yes. I'm sure." Then, to confirm it, both to himself and to Sean, he pulled Sean's hand away from his face, put it on his other ass cheek, and bent down to kiss Sean. Sean squeezed his ass and moaned into Lucas's mouth. When they finally broke away, Lucas had Sean's taste in his mouth, the strawberry ice cream he'd had on the golf course mingling with Lucas's chocolate
chip. "I'm, uh, I'm going to need a minute in the bedroom to get things set up."

Sean nuzzled his smile against Lucas's collarbone. "There's setting up?"

"I don't go halfway," Lucas said. "Not for your birthday." He kissed Sean again and gently pushed him away. "Ten minutes."

Sean nodded. His eyes were already hooded with sleepy desire. Lucas had to stop himself from grabbing him again. Instead, he turned around and headed for the bedroom. He had hidden a trunk under the bed, which he pulled out and opened. Everything he needed was inside, from votive candles to lube, and even a robe for himself. He had put a few toys in as well—a small vibrating plug with a switch that Sean could control, a string of anal beads, and a length of nylon rope—just in case Sean wanted to use them on him. Lucas didn't particularly like toys; he didn't care for their lack of intimacy. It reminded him too much of the
first guy he'd bottomed for, who had used him like a toy, but if Sean wanted to, Lucas would let him use them on him. It was his birthday, after all.

message 22: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Susan wrote: "Ryan wrote: "I am so proud of myself to say that I've done it and the result, called "Ethan, Who Loved Carter" will be available from DSP in September."

Congratulations! Could we perhaps get a blu..."

I can whip up something unofficial for you.

"Ethan, Who Loved Carter", m/m contemporary romance. Coming in Sept 2012 from DSP. Did I mention it will be my first novel with them? That means paperback!

Unofficial blurb (used this in my pitch letter):

Carter Stevenson, 25, is self-conscious about his Tourette's syndrome and cripplingly shy because of his vocal and physical tics. He does all he can to avoid contact with strangers. To that end, he has moved out of LA to a smaller city. He works from home transposing music for an LA-based theater company. Despite Alice, his friend and boss, urging that he not be a hermit, Carter is ready to close the door and leave society on the other side.

Ethan Hart, 27, is the polar opposite of Carter. Even before an accident at age 18 left him with a traumatic brain injury, Ethan loved people. His job at Pepper's Coffee Shop lets him be social as much as he likes, and his dance card is always filled. Sometimes people are jerks when he's slow or messes up a task, but he can always count on his friends to stand up for him. Right now, Ethan is most excited about meeting his cute new neighbor, Carter.

When Carter and Ethan meet, Carter's first thought is that Ethan will understand him because he's a freak too. This thought doesn't fly with Ethan. Despite a rocky start, they soon bond over a love of music. Ethan is interested in Carter immediately. However, Carter has been burned many times before and has more conservative views of relationships than Ethan, i.e. no romances until he knows the person more than 45 minutes. Ethan's idea of romance is more instinct-driven than friendship-based. Through some ups and downs, their friendship grows with the support of their friends and families. They develop a relationship in which their conditions are neither a reason for or against it, but simply a part of who they are.

I'll try to do an excerpt later on. I still want to do some from a few other things too.

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments Great excerpt, Ryan. Though cruel to cut me off like that :)

So, tell us something about yourself. What do you like to do besides writing?

message 24: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Susan wrote: "Great excerpt, Ryan. Though cruel to cut me off like that :)

Sorry! Now you'll have to buy it. *evil*

So, tell us something about yourself. What do you like to do besides writing?"

Who said I liked writing? Sometimes it's work. :D I'm 8K words behind as of today on my current project. Tomorrow it'll be 10K. Every time I think I've figured out how to sit still, something goes awry.

I like watching TV shows all in one go on dvd. Big Bang Theory is my current obsession. I love soccer, as you may have guessed from

Offside by Ryan Loveless , but I rarely get to watch it. I'd love to watch it more.

I'm an unemployed librarian and archivist. I volunteer at those places and hope that one day I'll get a job. For money at the moment, I take whatever temp jobs come my way.

I listen to a lot of podcasts as well, usually from BBC. I love Fighting Talk and Excess Baggage. For word buffs, public radio's A Way With Words is wonderful. I love The Archers, too, though Tom gets on my nerves something awful.

message 25: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Okay, we're doing some contests today. Everyone here unless you tell me otherwise will be in the running to win a copy of Kaden's Colors by Ryan Loveless .

I also want to do something a little different. I don't know if anyone will be able to get this. To the person who answers this question correctly, you can have your choice of any of my DSP books.

Ready?

Which two characters, in two different books, are distantly related?

Give me the characters' names and the books. You do not need to say how they are related.

Hint: The relationship is not mentioned in the books, but observant readers will have noticed a key clue.

message 26: by Mardi (new)

Mardi (mardi_s) | 4 comments Ryan wrote: "Mardi wrote: "There a a lot of books to read and too little time to be wasted on something that doesn't suck me into the story. "

So true! I tend to complete everything I start reading, but someti..."

I always try more than once. :) But sometimes it's better to admit defeat.

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments Yeah, sometimes writing is a chore, no matter how clearly a story comes through your imagination. Just to keep the listlessness from getting the better of me I have several projects open at once.

I'm unemployed too. Sucks, but what can you do? Looking for work should be classified as work, darn it!

I like the premise of "Ethan, Who Loved Carter". It's promising. I haven't read any books with MCs with Tourette's. I haven't read a lot of M/M books yet, since I just discovered the genre existed a year ago - and then writing it took my time. But I'm always looking for good M/M writers, and that story fits the bill: Contemporary with unusual MCs :) Can't wait!

message 28: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Mardi wrote: "Sometimes it's better to admit defeat."

Yeah, it is! LOL

message 29: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments Okay, I don't know what time it is for y'all, but here in Finland it's one a.m., so I'm off.

Ryan, thank you for the excerpt and the blurp. I hope you have a great chat and a good time! :)

Oh, even though I'm off, I'll re-check this thread tomorrow, so if you have an excerpt for Offside lying somewhere, I'd love that.

message 30: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Susan wrote: "Yeah, sometimes writing is a chore, no matter how clearly a story comes through your imagination. Just to keep the listlessness from getting the better of me I have several projects open at once.

..."

You just started writing a year ago? I just looked at your books. You've been busy!! I have bad ADD. Sitting still is so hard for me. It's impossible sometimes. You don't seem to have that problem. LOL What's your method?

message 31: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments Ryan wrote: "You just started writing a year ago? I just looked at your books. You've been busy!! I have bad ADD. Sitting still is so hard for me. It's impossible sometimes. You don't seem to have that problem. LOL What's your method?"

That's where the several open projects come in. That, and self-bribery: For every day I write over 3K, I get some chocolate and a bath (I normally don't have time or the patience for the latter). Also, chewing gum and listening music helps, not to mention a freaking good office chair :D

message 32: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments How about another excerpt? This is from Offside. I'm working on the sequel now, aka returning to my great love: soccer!

Offside by Ryan Loveless

Blurb: Adam Dumas is Major League Soccer's only openly gay player. When he is transferred to St. Louis, his new teammates don't exactly roll out the welcome mat. It doesn't help that Adam sees "the Gateway to the West" as a step down from his high-profile position in LA—an attitude Adam has no problem sharing with his new housemate and fellow center forward, Colin Evets.

Colin is Adam's only friend on the team, but when Adam misinterprets Colin's Midwestern charm for something more, he could end up ruining both their friendship and their careers. As Adam struggles to make a better impression, Colin tries to decide if the person he's been showing the world is who he wants to be with Adam. The pressure to win influences decisions both on the field and off as Adam and Colin discover how making the wrong move can be very right.

Excerpt: ***Adam survives team hazing after his first practice with his new team, but encounters homophobia soon after.***

"Coming in. Don't hit me. I surrender!" He eased the door open wide enough to get through. As soon as he stepped inside, Michaels tackled him, pushing him back into the wall. Michaels crushed Adam into a hug and kissed him soundly on the ear before shoving away. And then the whole team pounced, pounding Adam's back and rubbing his hair and offering various sounds of congratulation. Fitzgerald lifted him off his feet and squeezed him until Adam gasped for breath. Over Fitzgerald's shoulder, Adam saw Doyle watching from his locker. Doyle offered him a nod and slow smile, but didn't move to join the mob. Adam emerged from the upright pile mussed and wobbly. "Uh, thanks, guys," he said. He smoothed down his clothes.

"You're welcome."

Adam looked up. Colin stood in front of him, smiling. With so many hands on him, Adam hadn't been able to tell if one pair was Colin's, but evidently Colin had waited until he could get Adam to himself. Adam grinned at him. Colin put his hand out. "You're officially part of the team now. No more hazing, we promise." Adam pulled Colin into a hug. Just like Colin's hand fit into Adam's palm, Colin fit perfectly against Adam's body.

His nose nestled into a spot below Adam's shoulder and he wrapped his arms around Adam's waist.

"Thank God," Adam said. The other players broke into applause. "So," Adam asked as he and Colin ended their hug, "is there anything to do in this town?"

"Sure, lots of stuff," Colin said. He sat down next to Logan. Logan finished pulling a clean T-shirt over his head and punched Colin lightly on the shoulder. Adam tried to ignore the jealous reaction that flared up in him.

"Like what?" Adam asked. He pulled his sweat-soaked shirt off. When he dropped it on the bench, it landed with a heavy splat.

"We'll all go out as soon as you're ready," Colin said.

"All right." Adam toed his shoes off. "But I have to go upstairs and fill out my tax forms and do some quick shopping first. Darling has a problem with my whites."

"So do I," said Sol. Adam looked over to see if he was serious, but Sol was smiling.

"We haven't had a team outing in awhile," Doyle said. "I like that idea. Usual place?"

"Which is?" Adam asked.

"I'll give you directions," Colin said. "You can join us after you're done."

"Better tell me where to find a sporting goods store too."

"No problem," Colin said. His smile brought out a sparkle in his eyes. "I'll make you a map while you're cleaning up."

"Thanks." Adam headed for the showers. When he came back out clean, the locker room was empty, but Colin's car keys and a carefully drawn map sat on Adam's bag with a note that said, "See you soon, Colin."

THE sporting goods store was a cavernous warehouse of concrete flooring, steel shelving that reached the industrial ceiling, and row upon row of clothing racks. Adam was rifling through a rack of shorts when someone said, "Adam Dumas?"

Adam turned to see a thin man in a frayed flannel shirt and a dust-battered St. Louis Cardinals ball cap. He held a small boy by the hand. The boy wore a Gateway T-shirt. "Yes?" Adam examined the man and smiled at the boy.

"Mr. Dumas, my name's Justin Woodward. This here's my boy Kevin."

"Pleased to meet you." Adam shook Woodward's hand.

About to kneel down and greet the child, Adam stopped when Woodward said, "I don't mean any insult to you, but I don't know what you think you're doing here. We don't take to your kind."

"Soccer players?" Adam asked. He kept his smile, kept his voice calm. Woodward's flat expression didn't change. "You know what I mean. Don't need you here." The boy began to cry as Woodward pulled him away.

"Great job showing your son what's important," Adam said after him. His ears burned. So it was starting already. He'd known that it would, and not because of preconceptions he had about the Midwest, but because it happened everywhere, even in—especially in—LA. Despite the temptation to crawl into the clothes rack and hide, like he had when he was a kid playing games with his brother, he resisted. Glancing through the edge of his vision, Adam saw other patrons casting surreptitious glances his way, so he kept his head up. He took his time finding the perfect pair of shorts and then the perfect T-shirt, selecting two of each. Nothing bothered him. Nothing.

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments BTW, have you ever tried a recorder to speak the story and the dialogue in, and later transcribing it? Sometimes the act of creativity is then over quicker, and the monotony of writing it down can keep you still. I may be restless, but I have no personal experience with ADD, but that has worked for me in the past.

Yeah, I'm stalling going to bed, and I'll regret it in the morning...

message 34: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Susan wrote: "self-bribery: For every day I write over 3K, I get some chocolate and a bath"

I get 25 minutes on YouTube for doing 2K. I was thinking about getting a better office chair the other day...

message 35: by Neko (new)

Neko (loveless3173) Hi Ryan!!
Did I make it?! >_______<

I have two books by you that I have been meaning to read for a while now but alas, V____V I always get distracted by something else and just keep leaving it on my "read soon" list. lol...

The thing that attracts me to a book is the cover, then I read the blurb and and that is what reels me in. So I guess, the story. :)

message 36: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments Ryan wrote: "I get 25 minutes on YouTube for doing 2K. I was thinking about getting a better office chair the other day..."

Cool, you won't regret it :D

You really are determined to not let me sleep tonight, huh. I have Offside on my to-read list as well. Now I have to know what happens next. You are evil.... An evil genius :)

message 37: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Judianna wrote: "Hi Ryan!!
Did I make it?! >_______<

I have two books by you that I have been meaning to read for a while now but alas, V____V I always get distracted by something else and just keep leaving it on ..."

You made it with 45 minutes to spare. :)

Which books do you have? I've got 2 contests going at the moment, so maybe you'll leave tonight with more!

message 38: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Susan wrote: "You really are determined to not let me sleep tonight, huh. I have Offside on my to-read list as well. "

I interpret this as, "You should post more excerpts."

Fine, Forgotten Man coming up next!

message 39: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Susan wrote: "BTW, have you ever tried a recorder to speak the story and the dialogue in, and later transcribing it? Sometimes the act of creativity is then over quicker, and the monotony of writing it down can ..."

I tried that several years ago. Lately I've considered doing it again. Have to get over the self-consciousness inherent in talking aloud to myself. Using Scrivener has been a big help. Keeping organized makes a huge difference in cutting down on distractions.

message 40: by Neko (new)

Neko (loveless3173) Ryan wrote: "You made it with 45 minutes to spare. :)

Which books do you have? I've got 2 contests going at the moment, so maybe you'll leave tonight with more!"

Ehe, That's be so awesome! (*^▽^*) lol...
I have : Pop Life & The Forgotten Man :)

message 41: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments It's funny, but I always found organizing my thoughts about a story too much of a distraction - and if the organizing is too detailed, I never finish the story.

Since I came on a bit late I just read the excerpt from Kaden's Colors. I don't typically read M/M scifi, perhaps because contemporary and paranormal seem to be out there more, but it was a pretty interesting intro into the story. Now I hope I win copy of this...though I haven't even entered yet: two characters related? You sure do know how pick tough ones, eh? ;)

message 42: by Neko (new)

Neko (loveless3173) Hm, thought of a question (not very good at this stuff...) ^^;; It's why I'm usually just a lurker. >____>;

*cough*

What do you love most about writing? World building? chara building? I know that most authors HATE the editing phase, Do you?

message 43: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniescatteredthoughtsrw) | 84 comments Hi all, sorry to be late. Had a post deleted just before it was to be published and had to rewrite the thing. argh. Anyway, hi Ryan.

message 44: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Is it time for some holiday spirit in here? Say hello to The Forgotten Man by Ryan Loveless

Blurb:
In 1932, after Captain Joshua Pascal’s family loses its fortune, the Great War veteran’s sense of duty compels him to help his mother convert his childhood home into a Jewish boarding house. He’s lived openly as a homosexual among his friends, but now Joshua must pretend to be a “normal,” and hiding his nature is a lonely way of life. But in the middle of Chanukah, Joshua meets Will, a street musician with a ready smile, and wonders if he might deserve a chance at love.

During the cold December nights they find comfort in each other. But the specter of the workhouse and the possibility of family and personal ruin hang over them, making their every move dangerous. Which would they rather lose: their lives as they know them... or the promise of a future together?

Excerpt: ***Joshua prays Will won't run in panic when irrepressible Johnny pays a visit.***

“AND then dear Bradley says, ‘Oh I know, I’m always watering my buttercup, and she just never grows, but I love it when she blooms, and the pansies, my God, I can never keep them in my garden’, and my auntie, bless her, asks him if his garden is north-facing or southerly, to which Bradley said, ‘North, love, always north—unless it’s depressed’.”

Joshua sneaked a glance over Johnny’s shoulder out the parlor window into the back garden where icicles dripped off the naked tree branches. Will sat beside Johnny on the settee with Hannah in his lap. She slept, mouth open and sprawled backward on his chest. Bits of milk stained her dress, one of Asher’s from his infancy. Joshua and Will had gone through more boxes in the morning and found a stash. It was a little big, but Laura was pleased to see they’d found it and had helped them find another box, as well as taken Joshua’s coat for alterations.

Johnny had turned up seconds after she left. Joshua wasn’t sure how it happened that he and Will ended up with Johnny in the parlor talking about his ex-lover and beloved aunt, but he was damn grateful that the house was otherwise empty, because Johnny sported a costume inspired by Edwardian England, although with more pink. He’d brushed into the house as soon as Elizabet opened the door, announcing himself as Jonathan von Cartier, which was one of his many pseudonyms. He had dropped it as soon as Joshua told him no one else was home.

He’d pulled Johnny aside. “What’s going on?” Johnny had never come to the house before.

Johnny had glanced at Elizabet, who was hovering, and responded in the same quiet tone. “You haven’t been to the club in two nights. Everyone’s worried about you.”

“I’m fine. I just had…. Something came up.”

“Oh.”

Knowing that Johnny would find out anyway, Joshua had sighed and said, “He’s in the parlor.”

“Oh.” Johnny had raised one eyebrow. Joshua often wondered how he had the facial control to do that.

Holding on to Johnny tight, he’d said, “You be nice to him. He’s shy.” Johnny’s other eyebrow had gone up. He’d looked delighted. There’d been nothing to do but let Will come into contact with the unstoppable force that was Johnny, so Joshua had added another “please” and let him go.

Recovering enough to kiss Elizabet’s hand, Johnny had swept into the parlor, laid eyes on Will, and hadn’t stopped talking since.

Will, for his part, stared at Johnny as if he’d just learned of the existence of a new species, and said species now sat two inches from him.

“How does your friend know so much about gardening?” Will asked.

Johnny turned to him with a winning smile. “Oh, he’s a horticultural lad.”

Joshua sank a little deeper in his seat, fixing a glare on Johnny, inviting him to refrain from speaking.

“My mother used to grow blue stars and mist flowers,” Will said.

Joshua cleared his throat. He did not want to have this conversation, but Johnny was only going to egg Will on with his silliness. “Will, Johnny isn’t being entirely open with you. All these… floral terms--horticultural lad, buttercup, pansy--you know, it’s a joke because they all refer to various types of queer men, so in the joke the aunt is referring to her actual garden, and the other fellow is talking about his friends, who are….” Will stared at him, mouth slack and eyes squinted as he absorbed the new knowledge. “Homosexualists.” Whatever color his own cheeks might have become, they couldn’t have been as red as Will’s.

“Oh,” Will said. “So, that was a joke?” He looked at Johnny, as if Johnny, having led him down this path, would confirm it for him.

Johnny perched a hand on Will’s knee and turned to Joshua. “He is just a darling. I’ll tell you now, if you don’t bring him out, I will.”

He is sitting next to you,” Joshua said. “And he doesn’t need bringing out.”

“Oh?” Johnny looked at Will with appraising interest.

“Not like that,” Joshua said.

“Like what? Bringing out of what?” Will asked.

“It refers to indoctrinating you into the lifestyle of the homosexualist, dear,” Johnny said. “You know, what to do with your bum and where to put your dick and how to properly rouge. The basics.”

“So, you’re a…?”

“As if it isn’t obvious.”

Will cast a nervous glance from Johnny to Joshua. Joshua put a hand up. “Ignore him. Johnny has no filter.” He gave a warning glance to Johnny, who made a show of looking alarmed. “No way of knowing when he’s being too much.”

“Oh dear,” Johnny said. “Have I overstepped?” He looked around at Joshua, Will, and the invisible audience he played to, eyes wide with faux innocence.

Joshua said another silent prayer of thanks that no one else was home. “Will isn’t a homosexual, so slow it down a little, all right?”

“Of course. Yes. We don’t want to frighten the young thing off.”

“I’m twenty-four,” Will said, somewhat defensively.

“And you don’t look a day over twenty-three,” Johnny said, “which in these times of great stress is a compliment. I’m twenty-two, although I feel forty sometimes. Absolutely at death’s door.” He turned to Joshua. Joshua braced himself. “You haven’t forgotten your offer to escort me to the Pansy Ball tomorrow?”

“I haven’t forgotten it because I never made it.”

“Oh, you have to. I have my costume already. Marie Antoinette.” He held both arms over his head, demonstrating the size of his wig. “It’s at the new Waldorf.”

“On Park Avenue?” Will asked. “That’s a beautiful building.”

“Joshua has already been inside it,” Johnny said. He leaned toward Will, taking him on as a cohort.

“You have?” Will asked. He gave his full attention to Joshua.

His curiosity made Joshua want to tell Will all about his dinner there and everything he'd seen inside. He pulled back on the urge and refocused on Johnny. “Yes. And I’ve never seen a building more ‘Johnny’ in my life. The classic architectural splendor on the outside and opulence on the inside is all him.” Joshua nodded to Johnny with the compliment.

“Thank you.” Johnny made a pleased bow. “So, that’s a ‘yes’?”

“I’ll think about it. We are in the middle of a religious holiday, you know.”

Johnny flicked the idea away with the back of his hand. “Excuses, darling, are for getting into my pants, not out of them.”

message 45: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniescatteredthoughtsrw) | 84 comments I was reading the blurb for Kaden's Colors and it's sci fi. The only other story of yours that I have read was in the anthology Men of Steel which I enjoyed. Was this a real departure for you?

message 46: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Susan wrote: "It's funny, but I always found organizing my thoughts about a story too much of a distraction - and if the organizing is too detailed, I never finish the story.

Since I came on a bit late I just r..."

Kaden's Colors really concentrates more on Henry and Kaden coming of age in their particular situations than it does on being scifi. It's more character than genre-based, if that makes sense.

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan Laine (susan_laine_author) | 391 comments Ryan wrote: "Johnny flicked the idea away with the back of his hand. “Excuses, darling, are for getting into my pants, not out of them.”"

God, that one is hilariously good! *chortling* That Johnny is an absolutely...darling, isn't he? Great! :)

message 48: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Judianna wrote: "Hm, thought of a question (not very good at this stuff...) ^^;; It's why I'm usually just a lurker. >____>;

*cough*

What do you love most about writing? World building? chara building? I know that most authors HATE the editing phase, Do you? "

This is a great question. :) My favorite thing about writing is bringing the characters to life. Whether it's a soccer player with an attitude problem, a retired Army captain with a heart of gold and a headful of guilt, or a policeman trying to do the right thing, I love living with them while I'm working on a book. I especially love writing secondary characters. In Pop Life, you'll meet several of my favorites (Bob, number 1 favorite ever). I also have great affection for the secondary characters in The Forgotten Man and Offside, like Johnny, who is in the excerpt I just posted, Shorty and Flo, and Logan, Doyle and Michaels in Offside. It wouldn't be the same story without them.

I have a few great betas who keep me motivated and encouraged, so I don't mind editing so much. It's when I'm looking at a story and I don't see any promise for it that things get rough for me.

message 49: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Susan wrote: "I hope I win copy of this...though I haven't even entered yet: two characters related? You sure do know how pick tough ones, eh? ;)
."

I do! But that contest is only if you want to choose a book. For Kaden's Colors, you're in just by being here.

message 50: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Loveless (ryanloveless) | 129 comments Susan wrote: " That Johnny is an absolutely...darling, isn't he? "

He's a handful. *grin*

« previous 1