Axis Mundi X discussion

Death of a great man

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
My ex-brother-in-law died this morning after a long battle with cancer. My daughter and I are quite busted up about it as he was a super great guy, and her favorite uncle. Jacques was an eccentric man, but well known throughout the world for collecting and restoring tanks and other military vehicles. He was the largest private collector of military vehicles, and has left behind an amazing museum at his home here in California. I feel lucky to have known him and been a small part of his world. One of the best senses of humor I have ever been around, and really a sweet guy. I will definitely miss him.

Here is a blog entry by his second wife:

http://lizditz.typepad.com/i_speak_of...

I'm gonna go be sad now.

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth I'm so sorry, Charissa. It's hard to see a friend go.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I bet he was an interesting man.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh it was the tank man, what a character. I know from past posts how cool he was and how much you loved him. Much compassion for the pain you and your daughter are going thru.

message 5: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
Hugs, Charissa. I know you'll miss him.

message 6: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Thanks each of you for your support and well wishes. It's a sad time. This weekend is going to be difficult.

**C

message 7: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments Hugs Charissa.

You know full well the appreciation I hold for any true Tank Boy. Truly my kinda free spirit.

Not to be flippant, but I picture him engaged in heated debate with Guderian and Zhukov, with Patton laughing whole heartedly in the background.

message 8: by Cyril (new)

Cyril He was quite the man; I am sorry for your loss.

message 9: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Thanks you guys. NB... yeah, there will never be another Tank Boy like him. I'm sorry I was never able to take you up there.

KD... definitely trying to. XOXO

Cyril... he truly was. Thank you.

message 10: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

I have to say that I'm glad the funeral services are behind me. What a perfectly awkward and difficult weekend. Can I also say that there is no good reason to stuff people and stick them out in an open casket for people to see? There is truly nothing more horrifying than looking at the embalmed corpse of someone you knew. It's like they've been turned into a shiny hunk of wood. It's gross. Why do people do this???

My relatives have been warned that if anyone does that to me I will haunt them forever. Please, cremation. Or, at the very least, a plain pine box all shut up tight.

Also... there is nothing you can say to the children of a man who died too young that is adequate or appropriate. I hope to never be in this situation again. However, I suspect that the universe will not comply with my wishes. Death is a whore that way.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Wow -- I sure do understand exactly how you feel about all of that.

message 12: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
Yeah, I've never understood the need to display the departed like that. I would rather remember them alive, personally.
I hope the rest of the service was better than that, Charissa.