On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

On Southern Class and Culture > A little survey

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ali (new)

Ali Massey (aliharpermassey) Hi guys! I just signed up for goodreads and I'm really enjoying this site. Although I'm not from the South, I find myself very attracted to Southern literature. I thought I would post a survey. There are no right answers. :-)

Are you from the South?

Which Southern state(s) have you lived in?

Which Southern state is your favorite?

Why is it your favorite?

Do you consider Florida part of the South?

Who are your favorite Southern writers?

Why are you so attracted to Southern literature?

message 2: by Jessie J (new)

Jessie J (subseti) | 296 comments Hi Alison! This is fun...

Yes, I'm from the South.

I've lived in Alabama mostly but a little bit in Louisiana.

Which is my favorite--that's tough; I think Tennessee or North Carolina, because I like the mountains.

The Panhandle is part of the South, at least! ;^)

Not attracted to Southern Lit., and working on acquiring some favorites through this group (Cormac McCarthy is now on that list, and Tom Franklin).

message 3: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 3877 comments Mod
I am from NC, but now live in Charleston, SC, which I prefer. It seems to have more of a sense of "southerness" about it. Yes, Old Florida was very much a part of the south, I' m not so sure about new Florida. Everyone seems to be a transplant. I love the south and it's literature because we have such pride in who we are, warts and all.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 178 comments I am not from the south! Other than my Dad's brief stint in the navy, I'm the only person in my family to ever relocate here.

South Carolina, where I still am.

Hard question! I love different states for different reasons, but I think the mountains in North Carolina are my favorite escape. And the beaches in North Carolina. Okay! North Carolina! (But I reserve judgement until I've seen them all).

Florida is part of the south! All states have differences; it isn't the only odd duck.

I haven't read enough Southern literature to pick a favorite author, but that's exactly why I'm here!

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike (xolotl-ltolox) | 7 comments Yes, born in New Orleans.

I've lived in Louisiana all my life.

Southern Louisiana and Mississippi. Alabama's great too.

I love the coast of LA and the food and culture; Mississippi mainly because of literature; Alabama just because of fond memories.

In some ways; not in other ways. That's true of many heavily populated areas with lots of northern transplants though. It's true of the south in general.

O'Connor and Faulkner; I'm still catching up with southern literature.

Language use mainly.

message 6: by Kathleen (last edited Jun 11, 2012 06:40PM) (new)

Kathleen | 127 comments I am not sure if I count as from the South. People here in Alabama would say no.

Have lived in Florida, Louisiana, Virginia, South Carolina (six months as a baby, still counts) and here in Alabama.

I like Tennessee the best.

Because it has a little bit of everything (and a Trader Joe's).

I consider Florida part of the South, but not really. This is why my "Southerness" is iffy. I was born in Jacksonville. As a kid lived in Orlando, Miami, Key West and Orange Park. Went to college and law school at UF. But I moved to Alabama and it was like coming to a foreign country. Compared to here, Florida (particularly places like Miami) seems decidedly unsouthern.

Rick Bragg, Tom Franklin, Tennessee Williams, Fannie Flagg, Mark Childress.

I like the sense of place that the distinctive language gives it. I love when people talk on the page and it sounds right in my head.

message 7: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
I am from the South, born and raised in Alabama, where I still live.

It is difficult for me to limit my favorite Southern state to just one, but rather a series of locations across the South are uniquely dear to me--
The Blue Ridge Mountains of Tennessee and N.C.
The waterfall country of N.C.
Oxford, Mississippi--home of William Faulkner
Milledgeville, Georgia--home of Flannery O'Connor.
Mentone, Alabama--a former resort town in Northeast, Alabama, during the height of taking the mineral baths at various resorts about the South.

I consider Florida a part of the South, although a rapidly changing part of the South. It was firmly a part of the South until Henry Flagler began to build elegant resort Hotels along the Atlantic Coast of Florida in 1871. He developed the Florida East Coast Railway in 1876, running from St. Augustine to Miami. He is considered the founder of Palm Beach and Miami. He began the transformation of Florida from a truly Southern State to an ever changing area. However, Florida remained Southern to the degree that it allowed Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings to create The Yearling and Cross Creek. Snow Birds may have a modern connotation. However, Flagler's development of the East Coast of Florida is the origin of "Snow Birds."

My favorite Southern authors include, Faulkner, O'Connor, Penn Warren, McCullers, Harper Lee, Lee Smith, William Gay, Tom Franklin, Rick Bragg, Clyde Edgerton, and Mark Childress.

Mike
Lawyer Stevens

message 8: by Jayme (new)

Jayme I am not from the south. I am the only family member to cross the Mason-Dixon Line. I currently live in Virginia (15 years), but have also lived in Mississippi where I attended Southern Miss for graduate work.

I can’t pick a favorite southern state, but we do vacation in the outer banks of NC every summer so we must really like it.

I don’t have a favorite southern write. I am still in the discovery mode, but I have been reading Eudora Welty lately and am enjoying her work.

message 9: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Roberts I'm from the UK and am just fascinated by the Southern States! Always have been.

message 10: by Zorro (last edited Aug 18, 2012 06:07PM) (new)

Zorro (zorrom) | 177 comments Are you from the South?

In my experience, the dividing line in Texas for Southern culture and Western culture is Interstate 35. So I was born in the South -- East of IH 35 in Texas, but am not a Southerner because I grew up in West Texas and have West Texas attitudes and cultural preferences.

Who are your favorite Southern writers? Cormac McCarthy (first his Western novels and now I am reading his Tennessee novels)