What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Rebecca
This topic is about Rebecca
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > book about a young girl traveling with her obnoxious aunt [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristen | 2 comments I am going crazy trying to think of the title of this book. It is about a young girl, probably in her late teens or early twenties, who is traveling (abroad?) with her aunt. The aunt is annoying, overbearing, and uncouth. At one of the hotels they stay at, they meet a famous older man (maybe a famous author? I can't remember why he is famous). The girl and the man start taking long drives together and eventually fall in love, but there is some sort of conflict, in addition to the big age difference. I think his wife recently died or something. It is set in the past, maybe right around the same time period as Theodore Drieser's "an American Tragedy"... I may be way off on that, though. But it is definitely not a modern book. I think it was on my list of required reading in high school. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Seriously, it is driving me nuts!

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments I'll move this to the UNSOLVED folder so more members will notice it, Kristen.

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments Kristen wrote: "I am going crazy trying to think of the title of this book. It is about a young girl, probably in her late teens or early twenties, who is traveling (abroad?) with her aunt. The aunt is annoying,..."

I think it sounds like Rebecca

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy It sounds a lot like A Room With a View by E.M. Forster. Some of the details don't quite match up but that would be my guess. Also I love that book :)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 48 comments I agree it sounds a LOT like Rebecca

message 6: by Pogue (new)

Pogue (nulaanne) | 113 comments I agree with Rebecca as well.

message 7: by Melpup (new)

Melpup | 15 comments another vote for Rebecca!

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
yet another vote for Rebecca. I mean, who can forget that opening line from the book (and the film)

"Last night I dreamed that I was at Mandalay". . .?

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments Made me remember a clip on youtube.

This one is pretty funny ;) Mitchell and Webb-Rebecca skit

Kristen | 2 comments Yes yes yes!!! It IS Rebecca! Oh hooray, thanks everybody!!!!!

message 11: by Cathy (last edited Jun 20, 2012 11:08AM) (new)

Cathy | 108 comments Manderley!

That Mitchell and Webb piece was also hilarious and also really quite creepy.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Rebecca (other topics)