Our Story GLBTQ Historical Fiction discussion

Can historical fiction repair the erasure?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nan (last edited Jun 08, 2012 05:20PM) (new)

Nan Hawthorne (nanhawthorne) | 5 comments Mod
On our main page at http://bookworld.editme.com/Our-Story... nan Hawthorne suggests that historical fiction can fill in missing history for people whose history was erased or never recorded.

What do you think? Can it do that? What are the pitfalls? Are there any other solutions?

What have other erased groups like women, Afircan Americans, aboriginal peoples, people with disabilities, ethnic and relgiious minorities, done to establish a history of their own?

What are Best opractices for achieving a viable historical fiction story of GLBTQ people?

Nan Hawthorne

message 2: by Nan (new)

Nan Hawthorne (nanhawthorne) | 5 comments Mod
I know some people worry a great deal about novels being purported to be history. Frankly i have never in my life, with one possible exceptiion, seen a historical novel that said it was dead on accurate. It's really beating a straw man. Pracitcally every historical novel I have read had notes on the actual history behind the story.

So I don't know why this is even up for debate. Of course the novels are fiction. If anyone thinks otherwise, then it's not the author's fault.

My pooint about Our Story is that thanks to the sort of records on GLBT life there is, primarily negative, and the lack of much at all, there is no other way to create a sort of OUr Story. The assumption from the start is that it is at best an educated guess. What else do we have? And no one, I repeat no one, is pretending it's all dead accurate. That's why they call it "ficion".

The one exception I mentioned about is a book about the Crusades called Deus Lo Volt that is writen like fiction but hotly denies it is.

Nan
Nan

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 1 comments All historical fiction does that (as does a lot of history)—fills in the gaps. But I do like my HF as accurate as possible which will vary depending on the era and subject.

What I don't like about a lot of Queer HF is that so much seems to devolve into common romance. This is true of a lot of Queer genre fiction. I like a more literary approach, one requiring reader input. I also like them to be primarily HF which of course can have romantic elements.

I was looking over the review page on http://bookworld.editme.com/Historica... especially the ancient world which is a prime interest of mine. There is a lot of fine HF with Queer elements missing. Do you want a more exhaustive list of novels, even if they have not been reviewed? Do they have to be romance too. That you included works by Mary Renault suggests not.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim Blakemore (kimtaylorblakemore) Nan wrote: "On our main page at http://bookworld.editme.com/Our-Story... nan Hawthorne suggests that historical fiction can fill in missing history for people wh..."

This is interesting - and my mission as an author is to write historical fiction that brings gay women out of the shadows of history. My work in progress, Under the Pale Moon, is set in post-World War II Monterey, California. It explores the relationship of a married woman breaking the bonds of conformity, and a combat nurse struggling with PTSD and haunted by the ghosts of war. Not such a great time to be gay in the US.

We need to fill in our own history, I think. If you have some suggestions of good historical lit, I'd love to know.

Also, I am adding a page to my website soon that looks at lesbians' experiences in the late 40's-1950's, and if you pop over to my website, www.outoftheshadowsofhistory.com, and add yourself as a contact, you'll get an email when that is live on the web.