Chick Lit discussion

Marian Keyes

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (chamilton12) | 29 comments I know a lot of Chick Lit lovers love Marian Keyes. I've only read one book by her, The Other Side of the Story, and I didn't think it was that great. I was actually really relieved when it was finally over.

But, I am wanting to give her another shot since I hear good things about her. What is your favorite Marian Keyes book? And, what order do the books go in? I know there are quite a few that go together and I'd hate to start reading them in the middle!

message 2: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) I love Marian Keyes, and I think The Other Side of the Story was my least favorite of hers, so I'd definitely give her another chance! I think the ones that "go together" are the ones about the Walsh sisters: Rachel's Holiday, Watermelon, Angels (I think...someone correct me if I'm wrong!) and Anybody Out There. I don't know that they necessarily go in any particular order - just that the characters show up from one novel to the next.

Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married and Sushi For Beginners are great stand-alone ones as well.

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin (wwwgoodreadscomgenregirl) Watermelon is the first book featuring the Walsh family - then rachel, angels and anybody out there - each book focuses on one of the five sisters

I might try Sushi For Beginners next

She's also great on audio - the actress has a wonderful Irish accent which adds to the atmoshpere!

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (angelashly) | 30 comments I just finished Angels and loved it. The other one I have read is Anybody Out There and really liked it.

I have Lucy Sullivan is getting married at home to read.

message 5: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) I really loved Anybody Out There. It's a sad story (I was bawling by the end of it) but she tells it really well. And there's a whole second storyline woven throughout that's much lighter and adds some humor to it.

Has anyone read her new book, This Charming Man? I'm on the PaperBackSwap waiting list for it, but I'm so far back on the list that I won't be getting it anytime soon. I might just break down and buy it when it comes out in paperback!

message 6: by Jenger (last edited Jan 08, 2009 08:12AM) (new)

Jenger | 18 comments I didn't care for The Other Side of the Story and a few of her other books but I did really enjoy Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, Sushi for Beginners, and Watermelon. You may want to try those for a better experience.

message 7: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 53 comments I have on my to-read shelf Lucy Sullivan...I'm a little nervous because people seem to either love it or hate it when it comes to Marian Keyes...

message 8: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Kourtney, Lucy Sullivan is a good one! That was the first of hers I read, and it hooked me on her books.

message 9: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kc0217) | 9 comments I liked This Charming Man. Very different from her previous books.

message 10: by Jann (new)

Jann | 17 comments Kristine wrote: "I liked This Charming Man. Very different from her previous books."

Different but in my opinion more mature and really powerful. She is such a good writer. But for those who like her "laugh out loud" books, this one is somewhat more serious.

message 11: by Francesca (new)

Francesca (cesca) | 9 comments My favourite was "Angels". I really loved that book. Her collection of humorous articles in "Under the Duvet" is wonderful. I've not yet read "This Charming Man".

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (angelashly) | 30 comments Jen wrote: "Kourtney, Lucy Sullivan is a good one! That was the first of hers I read, and it hooked me on her books."

Good to hear. I have that one at home to read soon.

message 13: by Amica (new)

Amica (amicable) | 1 comments I loved Sushi for Beginners.
It was the first of hers I read. I picked it up because I saw "Sushi" on the title:) (I'm Japanese, by the way.)
I really enjoyed the book so I tried the Other Side of the Story but I didn't like it that much.
I'm currently reading Watermelon and I think I like it so far.

message 14: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 53 comments I picked up a few other Marian Keyes books to get a feel for her - I can't wait to finish the books I started reading to jump into them as I have been hearing about her books for years! I think Lucy Sullivan will be the first since I've had it the longest. What is the order that the Walsh sister books go in?

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (angelashly) | 30 comments Kourtney wrote: "I picked up a few other Marian Keyes books to get a feel for her - I can't wait to finish the books I started reading to jump into them as I have been hearing about her books for years! I think Luc..."

Watermelon
Rachel's Holiday
Angels
Anybody out there?

I have read Angels and Anybody Out There though and not the other 2 yet so I don't think you have to read them in order.

message 16: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 53 comments Thanks Ashley!

message 17: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 6 comments My favorites are Lucy Suiilvan and Rachel's Holiday

message 18: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl Browne | 6 comments Jen wrote: "I love Marian Keyes, and I think The Other Side of the Story was my least favorite of hers, so I'd definitely give her another chance! I think the ones that "go together" are the ones about the Wal..."

Hi I’m new to the group--a reader and writer (for my sins! :))—and I thought I’d just introduce myself around this topic. I actually love Marian Keyes. Watermelon was my first MK read (when it first came out years ago). I absolutely adored it, and went on to read the Lucy’s and Rachel’s stories, etc, not realising initially that they were centred around the lives of the sisters of the same family. So, yes, I would say that they absolutely do stand alone. That said, whichever order you read them in, the familiarity you have with other members of the family (including mum and dad), having read their stories, does add to the experience. It’s like, you know their secrets, how the tick, and you don't have to read them in any particular order. Marian does do it extremely well! I aspire to write as well as she does. One editor once said I did (I wish). Another said, no, you’re more Katie Fforde. Katie Fforde’s agent didn’t agree, and my first ever agent said I wrote like Helen Fielding. Now, I really wish!

Ah, well, still trying to find my style, I suppose. I’m a UK writer, BTW, a mum, a rescue dog adopter, part-time worker-bee, and overall busy bee. Lovely to meet you girls.

Hope I’ve posted this in the right place-ooh,er??

Happy reading!

Sheryl w/a Charlotte Chalmers