CIRCLE OF FRIENDS discussion

Challenge Yourself

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patty (new)

Patty (pattyb31) | 29 comments Mod
Ok so I was thinking about reading today and wondered if any of you ever challenge yourself to "read outside your comfort zone?" Why do you always pick the books you do? Do you tend to gravitate to the same genre all the time? I have made it a goal of mine for every book I buy or take out of the book store/library, I am going to go into a section I have never bought/borrowed from before and challenge myself to "read outside the box" I challenge you to do the same. Drop your comments here let me know what you think, if you will participate why or why not. Oh and has ANYONE brought the wine yet?

message 2: by Patty (new)

Patty (pattyb31) | 29 comments Mod
I tend to read all over the place genre wise however there are certain genres I never touch. This should be interesting for me and I can't wait to see how it develops. Who knows I might surprise myself and fall in love with another genre I never liked before.

message 3: by Jigme (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:08AM) (new)

Jigme Datse (JigmeDatse) | 15 comments I really mostly read in a fairly "narrow" range. Some stuff just doesn't interest me. Though if I see something that someone really liked, that I trust there judgment on whether the book is really good or not I will often pick that book up even if it's outside (usually only slightly)of what I normally read.

For instance I started reading Neal Stephenson because someone said they really liked his stuff. I demolished his copy of Snow Crash . He didn't seem too upset about that.

Another author, and another genre I have read that was because someone else was reading was Rita Mae Brown who writes really easy to read mysteries. Can't think of what of her's I have read, but I started reading her, and I think that's what got me to start looking in the mystery section.

So there are a couple of examples I've come up with.

Jigme Datse Rasku

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin (karinwithani) | 13 comments I avoided reading non-fiction for a long time. I started reading biographies and autobiographies and if I am interested in theperson I love them. Another book I love that was outside my normal box was The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman. It was written using diaries from Antonina Zabinski, the woman who, along with her husband, Jan, ran the Warsaw Zoo in Poland prior to WWII. Duringthe war the hid Jewish people from the Nazis. It is one of the most incredible books I have ever read.

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth Allen (saintseester) One of the reason I love being in a regular book club is just for this reason. The other members will choose books I would not otherwise consider reading, and I have been surprised often. Each person, when it is their turn, gets to choose. We don't take a vote or anything.

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan (poseysessions) I am trying to have a more balanced reading experience and for this year I am trying to write a monthly reading list. I am especially focusing on reading a few more "fluff" books that I always want to read but constantly put off.

message 7: by Notameangirl (new)

Notameangirl | 14 comments I read all sorts of things. I hate westerns and "spy" or political fiction though. I'll try anything once or even twice if recommended by someone I respect. :)