Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > How do I best add this book, author on cover "Samuel Clemens"

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sigrun (new)

Sigrun (ranugis) | 26 comments I happen to have a Grosset & Dunlap, Companion Library copy with Samuel Clemens as the author. I thought there might be some example of how best to do this somewhere among his other books, but there is no book listed where SC is one of the author's names. How do I best do this to retain the integrity of this volume? I know there is a way of doing this at Gutenberg, but I don't know if that would be the same here. I'm supposed to be a librarian, but I'm stumped by this. Twain isn't mentioned anywhere.

Thanks for any help.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42006 comments Mod
Did he really publish any of his work under his own name? I had not thought so.

If the cover shows Samuel Clemens, then list Mark Twain as primary (so it can be combined with the other editions), and Samuel Clemens as secondary author.

message 3: by Sigrun (last edited Jun 08, 2012 04:39PM) (new)

Sigrun (ranugis) | 26 comments I guess that was my real question: which to put first. Actually I was very surprised to see it Tom Sawyer with only the real name.

What does "combining the editions" mean? Does it just mean making sure there are no doubles of any one edition? I've tried not to post any if possible.

For "Led into Sunlight" I put the publisher of the 1982 edition in brackets behind the name of the current name of the publisher. I'm wondering if that was all right.

message 4: by Amara (last edited Jun 08, 2012 04:44PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) Sigrun wrote: "What does "combining the editions" mean? Does it just mean making sure there are no doubles of any one edition? I've tried not to post any if possible."

Combining is essentially linking editions of a single work. As an example, these books have all been "combined" as editions of Huckleberry Finn.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42006 comments Mod
Sigrun wrote: "For "Led into Sunlight" I put the publisher of the 1982 edition in brackets behind the name of the current name of the publisher. I'm wondering if that was all right."

No, please only list the publisher of the exact edition you are entering.