Christian Fiction Fans discussion

What war do you like to read about best?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abigail (last edited Jun 08, 2012 11:23AM) (new)

Abigail Mitchell | 177 comments My choice is World War 2. I prefer the part when we fought with Hitler over the part with the Japanese, because it is more action packed.
One of my favorite series set during WW2 is The Secret of the Rose by Michael Philips.

message 2: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah I like reading Civil War and WW2 stories.

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine Lindsay (wwwchristinelindsaycom) Aerykah wrote: "I like reading Civil War and WW2 stories."

I love stories about World War One. It was such a time of change.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 24 comments Civil War, then WWII, then Revolution

message 5: by Abbi (new)

Abbi I love WWII stories! I love the time period and it makes for some great stories. I like stories set during the other wars too but WWII is my fav!

message 6: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Mitchell | 177 comments High Five Abbi!

message 7: by Dan (new)

Dan Walsh | 9 comments Abigail wrote: "My choice is World War 2. I prefer the part when we fought with Hitler over the part with the Japanese, because it is more action packed.
One of my favorite series set during WW2 is The Secret of t..."

Abigail (and other WW2 lovers), I LOVE writing books in this era, too. 3 of my 5 out so far are set during WW2 (or have a major WW2 subplot). The Unfinished Gift, The Homecoming and my most recent, The Discovery. Sarah Sundin has written 3 great WW2 love stories (and her 4th is coming out in Sept, read it for an endorsement, her best one yet). Susan May Warren and Tricia Goyer have also written some great WW2-era novels in recent years.

message 8: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) I really enjoyed The Refiners Fire series by Lynn Austin which takes place during the Civil War. I am actually thinking about buying this series:

http://www.christianbook.com/battles-...

For the price, $9.99 for all 8 books in 2-in-1 hardcover editions, I can't leave it there! Has anyone read any of these books?

message 9: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Diane U wrote: "I really enjoyed The Refiners Fire series by Lynn Austin which takes place during the Civil War. I am actually thinking about buying this series:

http://www.christianbook.com/battles-......"

I've read a lot of Al Lacy (not that series) and while I enjoyed them when I was younger they just aren't as good now!

message 10: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) Abbi wrote: "Diane U wrote: "I really enjoyed The Refiners Fire series by Lynn Austin which takes place during the Civil War. I am actually thinking about buying this series:

http://www.christianbook.com/batt..."

Really? Why?

message 11: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Mitchell | 177 comments I love Al Lacy's books! This last Christmas I bought the Collection you are talking about for one of my sisters. I haven't read that series yet. By the way at that time it was only $4.99.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

This may sound strange, but I'm not crazy about books with wars and I try to avoid those.

message 13: by Dan (new)

Dan Walsh | 9 comments Elizabeth wrote: "This may sound strange, but I'm not crazy about books with wars and I try to avoid those."

Doesn't sound strange, Elizabeth, but my books (and I know this is true with Sarah Sundin's) aren't really war books. They're just set during WW2, because it was such an amazing time in our history. My books mostly take place on the homefront, what families were doing and how the war affected relationships.

message 14: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Diane U wrote: "Abbi wrote: "Diane U wrote: "I really enjoyed The Refiners Fire series by Lynn Austin which takes place during the Civil War. I am actually thinking about buying this series:

http://www.christian..."

They writing style is not that great (at least in my opinion)and there is nothing to pull me in. As I said I used to love them and my sister did too but now when I compare them to all of the great books out there today they don't even come close.

message 15: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) I am just going to buy the first volume for $2.99 to try it and I can always buy the rest if I enjoy it! I hate spending money on serieses when I may not like the whole thing! Thanks for the advice!

message 16: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Diane U wrote: "I am just going to buy the first volume for $2.99 to try it and I can always buy the rest if I enjoy it! I hate spending money on serieses when I may not like the whole thing! Thanks for the advice!"

No problem! That's a good plan! And I hope you like them even if I didn't-let me know!

message 17: by Patriciaw (new)

Patriciaw | 5 comments WW2 or the Civil War. (How come no one ever says WW1?) But I like that writers are starting to explore the Korean and Vietnam Wars as well.

message 18: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Patriciaw wrote: "WW2 or the Civil War. (How come no one ever says WW1?) But I like that writers are starting to explore the Korean and Vietnam Wars as well."

I agree WWI is sadly not as much of a fav. But I have to say I do enjoy reading books set during it-there just aren't as many!

message 19: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 24 comments Abbi wrote: "Patriciaw wrote: "WW2 or the Civil War. (How come no one ever says WW1?) But I like that writers are starting to explore the Korean and Vietnam Wars as well."

I agree WWI is sadly not as much of ..."

Because according to my older brother (a history teacher)nothing happened. The main book about this was is All Quiet on the Western Front

message 20: by Anne (new)

Anne Mateer (annemateer) | 8 comments Dawn wrote: "Abbi wrote:

I agree WWI is sadly not as much of..."

Actually, there have been some really good WWI books in the past few years, such as Promise Me This by Cathy Gohlke, Promise Me This by Cathy Gohlke , And the Great War series by Maureen Lang Look to the East (The Great War, #1) by Maureen Lang , Springtime of the Spirit by Maureen Lang , and Whisper on the Wind by Maureen Lang .

My first novel was set during WWI but the war happened offstage and you only hear about the aftermath.

message 21: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 24 comments Anne I've read Promise Me This and LOVED it! Also recently read Springtime in the Spirit.

message 22: by Dan (new)

Dan Walsh | 9 comments Patriciaw wrote: "WW2 or the Civil War. (How come no one ever says WW1?) But I like that writers are starting to explore the Korean and Vietnam Wars as well."

Patricia, keep an eye out for my next novel, The Reunion. Comes out in Sept. All about an aging Vietnam vet who lost everything after coming home from the war, including his family. He's now just a handyman in a trailer park. But God sets in motion a wonderful plan to redeem the situation, stirring up the 3 men whose lives he saved to try and find him. In the end, there's a Reunion that includes far more than he could ever hope for. You can read about it here: www.danwalshbooks.com/books/

message 23: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Lang | 8 comments World War One has always been my favorite war to read or write about - mainly because it feels like that particular time is right on the edge between very historical and nearly modern. Plus the war itself is such a terrible mystery. No clear right/wrong as it was with the Nazis in WW2. Thank you, Anne, for mentioning my Great War Series. :-) Your Wings of a Dream is also a wonderful novel with this backdrop, set here in the states.

All that said, I've chosen to shift my focus and am now enjoying America during the Gilded Age - no more war for me for the time being, though I miss the natural conflict that accompanies a war backdrop, even for a romance.

message 24: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 24 comments Maureen wrote: "World War One has always been my favorite war to read or write about - mainly because it feels like that particular time is right on the edge between very historical and nearly modern. Plus the war..."

Maureen, my brother agrees with you. We were talking about it last weekend on the drive to my grandfather's. He also mentioned that every major event in modern history can be traced back to WWI. A new type of warfare was introduced in that war. He's even had his high school students test him on it.

message 25: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Lang | 8 comments Dawn wrote: "Maureen wrote: "World War One has always been my favorite war to read or write about - mainly because it feels like that particular time is right on the edge between very historical and nearly mode..."

How interesting! I don't think people realize just how far that war reached - even to the Middle East, so if there are ramifications everywhere from it, beside just the obvious one of WW2, I wouldn't be surprised! Thanks for the insight.

message 26: by Abbi (last edited Jun 18, 2012 09:31AM) (new)

Abbi @Anne-I've been wanting to read the Maureen Lang series for awhile now! I just finished a really good story that was set in WWI Homefront Hero by Allie Pleiter It's one of the best Love Inspired books I've read!

message 27: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Mitchell | 177 comments Actually isn't it Allie Pleiter?

message 28: by Abbi (new)

Abbi Abigail wrote: "Actually isn't it Allie Pleiter?"

Yeah-I was replying to another comment and for some reason it jumbled up the words