The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1: 1950-1952 The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 1 discussion

Importance of this series for boys...

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacy My 9 yo son has the first 3 books of this series and they were a wonderful way to transition from our usual read-aloud time before bed. We had been doing that for so many years I knew it would be a struggle to simply get him to read independently before bed instead. Boys are very visual creatures so these books were engaging on that level and got him into the habit of curling up with a book...solo. He now reads chapter books on his own before bed but he still pulls these out and wants to continue collecting them.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

It's important to point out that Peanuts is very UNimportant to girls and females of our species.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I was thinking your wife was transgendered and that you never paid enough attention to, y'know, down there.

As for the tattoo, I can only assume that woman is very manly. 'Cause, y'know, Snoopy was the Red Baron, all shoot-em-up, bang-bang, German fighter pilot.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 03, 2007 05:09PM) (new)

Sir, you cannot expect me to SERIOUSLY cast aspersions on the woman who married Donald. It was totally jest, and nothing but. The woman who scored the gentleman behind coke-sniffing cereal mascots, well, she is a diamond in the Southern California rough.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

And, all my obnoxious comments aside, I can definitely see how kids would enjoy "Peanuts," especially early, cynical Peanuts. It is surprisingly realistic for a cartoon about small, cute children. Its uncomfortable situations are like "Curb Your Enthusiasm" for kindergarteners.

message 6: by Stacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacy Wow. You know, it's funny because no one ever jumps all over someone making a suggestion for a great book "for girls" but I have found that when I make gender-specific comments about something being good "for boys" someone *always* gets irritated, and usually it is the hostile daddy of a little girl. Let me explain now, since I didn't do it fully in my original post (I was in a hurry). I was never a boy, so I can't know for certain...but many mothers I know complain that their sons don't like to read. Teachers everywhere say "Hey, boys are often visual learners so maybe he would dig a comic book!"--at an early age many boys are not yet ready for marvel comics or even Calvin and Hobbes...but within a certain window Peanuts fits the bill. So that's what I was getting at - the visual aspect without the violence. This is my first day on goodreads, thanks for the welcome!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Comic books rule. You're onto something, Stacy.

message 8: by Stacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacy If it isn't hostile daddies of little girls it's men trying to get laid by making clever feminist remarks.

message 9: by Stacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacy I also must say two things. I started this discussion after having just added this title to a group I joined called Books for Boys and it was with this audience in mind that I composed my post. Being new to this platform I had not considered the possibility of an audience that may not be entirely empathetic. SOme of you will question the validity of having a group devoted to books for boys in the first place. When my son was in first grade he came home from school with tears in his eyes asking why everyone preferred girls to boys. He was sad and he was feeling a degree of self-hatred based on nothing more than his gender. It is no more acceptable in this age of "girls rule, boys drool" than it was when my mother felt inferior for being a girl in the 1950s. I think boys today DO need a little more reassurance than they have in years past that it is not only "ok" to be a boy, but that boys have qualities worthy of celebration.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I made a clever feminist remark? Cool!

I think a group of books for boys is awesome. Studies show that boys are underperforming girls in school, yet many teachers still treat classrooms as hotbeds of anti-female sexism.

Actually, I think THIS discussion bore the brunt of my dissatisfaction, when really I took SERIOUS issue with your OTHER discussion on books on war. War is terrible, but necessary. We do a disservice to our young boys and men when we lead them to believe their testosterone-fueled aggression doesn't have a place in this world. It does. Good men who learn to channel their aggression will grow up to defend society from criminals, tyrants, and terrorists. I hope parents aren't afraid to let their young boys read books that glorify those who fight for right.

message 11: by Stacy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacy You thought I was referring to YOUR remark? I simply meant...in general. I have experience with this brand of interaction.

That's interesting that you thought I was against books about war for boys, I'll have to re-read and possibly edit my post about that. My entire point was that as a mother of a boy who is now growing older I consciously choose to come to grips with his boyness (including his fascination with violence and battle) rather than fighting against it and trying to make him feel bad about it. We are on the same side of this issue Brendan, but you are male and I am female and it is natural for me to feel I am in foreign territory here. I see so many mothers (I hang with a pretty left/liberal/hippie-esque crowd) who discourage their boys from certain kinds of play and activities because of the danger level or violence. I am *against* this and strongly believe that this attitude hurts boys, but I also admit that it is a challenge for me to let go of my worry.

I'm curious about this statement: "many teachers still treat classrooms as hotbeds of anti-female sexism" - do you have a child in elementary school? My son was looking forward to participating in a writing workshop at his school but we later found out it was FOR GIRLS ONLY. I type it in all caps because that's how it appeared in the school newsletter, apparently following a barrage of inquiries from parents of boys. I wish I could say this was unusual. I find your statement curious because everything I've read seems to support my assumption that classrooms today are designed to cater to the needs of girls. There is not enough physical movement, for one thing. I'm not saying your statement is not valid or true, just saying I was not aware of this type of sexism's persistence in 2007.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 04, 2007 07:02AM) (new)

I apologize. My statement was poorly worded. I meant, studies and anecdotes show that teachers at ALL grade levels still make an inordinate effort to encourage female students in school, when often it's the boys who are undermotivated and disillusioned. That all-girl writing group is a perfect example. There was a time when the nation worried that women were being looked down on as unable to handle "boy" topics like math and science. Today, female students dominate math and science in school--even if they don't choose to go into those fields upon graduation. Boys are ABSOLUTELY struggling. I completely agree.

I can only look at this from my own viewpoint, and I'll tell you my viewpoint is Judaism. I like the way traditional Judaism looks at the issue. Judaism traditionally believes women are more moral, less dangerous people than men. The urge to do bad is stronger in boys than girls. But that's a tremendous opportunity! The urge to take and fight and rule can be channeled and then lead to all the wonderful things we see from men through the millennia--good rulers, honorable fighters, brilliant artists. That same energy that turns some people off from boys, that same energy that people find so "unruly" is part of what makes boys and men excel.

I'm in your camp.

I still think sexism is alive and well, and I'm a feminist. But I also see the ways teachers, many of them female, don't like what makes your boy and other boys special. Violence can be good. Aggression can be good. It leads to tremendously good things. Rockets! Leonardo da Vinci! John F. Kennedy! The United States of America! God bless your boy and all boys.

With a mom who cares like you do about how he's treated in an environment that prefers girls, I bet your boy will turn out to be a winner.

P.S. I learned most of my vocabulary as a child from the big words comic book writers used.

message 13: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya deleted user wrote: "It's important to point out that Peanuts is very UNimportant to girls and females of our species."

how rude

message 14: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya deleted user wrote: "It's important to point out that Peanuts is very UNimportant to girls and females of our species."

this is like, my favorite book series ever so how rude

Amanda I think it's important to girls as well as boys. I adored the Charlie Brown comics as a little girl and I still love them to this day. I love how they have standed the test of time also. They don't feel any bit aged which is hard to achieve.

http://divaliciouzbookreviews.blogspo...