The Sword and Laser discussion

Tigana
This topic is about Tigana
2012 Reads > TIG: Alienor & Devin * spoilers for ch 10 *

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

John (johntai) | 35 comments "She reached, naked and magnificent, flushed and scored with his marks upon her, and brought something up from the floor beside the bed. His eyes grew wide when he saw what it was she held. [...] He saw her caress what she had claimed from the carpet by the bed."

What is it?!

Chris Palmer | 61 comments I think it's like those "unnecessary censorship" things.* Whatever you are imagining is probably weirder or kinkier that what Kay was envisioning :-)

Interesting chapter...

*"Peter, Peter ______ eater, had a wife and couldn't ________. He ________ her in a ______ ______ and there he ________ her very well."

Robert (robwriter) | 11 comments I think that was his intent. He could have described what it was but I'm sure he felt it would enrich the scene if he let the readers make it up in their own mind.

Joshua Zucker (joshuazucker) | 12 comments I thought it was pretty clearly a whip or cat o' nine tails or something of that sort (which later is a partial explanation of how shredded his clothes have become)?

But maybe that's just the sort of thing my imagination fills in with. Did anyone have a different picture?

Chris Palmer | 61 comments Whips, crops, paddles, restraints, blindfolds, clamps, dildos, gags, feather dusters, ...

Javier Quintana (javier_quintana) | 43 comments It was clearly a

Chaz | 32 comments This book finally got good on Ember Night. Not specifically for the sex scene but for me it turned on the conversation Devin has with Alienor as he is leaving quickly followed by a great interaction with Catriana and then the awesome scene with Baerd and the Night Walkers. That was a most excellent couple of chapters.

message 8: by Sam (last edited Jun 14, 2012 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Erwin | 26 comments Darren wrote: "The Night Walkers could have been excised from the book and it would have worked just as well or better, for me."

And yet for me that sequence is an incredible addition to the story. It shows that the world is bigger than we or the characters we follow know, it gives Baerd a chance to regain some of his faith in himself as a person, and let's us see more of this world that Kay has created (okay, that last may be redundant).

It's possibly the root of something I loved the time or two he used it in The Last Light of the Sun. There's a few times that he'll take a few paragraphs or pages (no more than a few) to follow and extrapolate out the life of someone the main characters have talked to for maybe one or two lines, emphasizing how that brief moment might have affected them.

John (johntai) | 35 comments Joshua wrote: "I thought it was pretty clearly a whip or cat o' nine tails or something of that sort (which later is a partial explanation of how shredded his clothes have become)?"

I like your explanation. My imagination is very poor.

message 10: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John (johntai) | 35 comments Darren wrote: "The Night Walkers could have been excised from the book and it would have worked just as well or better, for me."

Totally agree. At first I felt lost (that happened a few times in this book) not understanding what this was about, then it just felt like I was reading another book starring Baerd. And their presence was inconsequential in the final battle.

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments Sam wrote: "Darren wrote: "The Night Walkers could have been excised from the book and it would have worked just as well or better, for me."

And yet for me that sequence is an incredible addition to the story. It shows that the world is bigger than we or the characters we follow know, it gives Baird a chance to regain some of his faith in himself as a person, and let's us see more of this world that Kay has created (okay, that last may be redundant)."

Kay is also a huge geek about these things. When I went to a reading over a decade ago, he talked passionately about how he'd throw in things he found in his historical research just because he thought they were cool. I have no doubt that he came across the stories of the Benandanti at some point during the writing of Tigana and just had to work them in.

message 12: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John (johntai) | 35 comments Joe wrote: "I have no doubt that he came across the stories of the Benandanti at some point during the writing of Tigana and just had to work them in."

Thanks for the reference. I didn't know.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) She seems like a Circe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circe figure to me, but not exactly. Kay definitely found some goddess in some old myth, transmogrified her into Alienor. Find that myth, and you'll discover what she grabbed. Circe grabs a flute.

Ulmer Ian (eean) | 341 comments The Night Walkers just provide more world building. There's not much about what's actually true about the religion of the Palm and what's superstition. I find this mostly annoying in fantasy universes that shroud their religion in mystery. It doesn't really fit with how I think religion would work when magic plainly exists.

The Night Walkers made it clear that the Triad, if they existed, were likely middling gods of no account outside the Palm.

From reading his Wikipedia page I'm guessing it also ties in a bit with his multiverse (I haven't read any of his other books).

thecmancan | 9 comments Darren wrote: "Joe wrote: "Kay is also a huge geek about these things. When I went to a reading over a decade ago, he talked passionately about how he'd throw in things he found in his historical research just be..."

It was just so funny when they all picked up stalks of corn as weapons. I just pictured a bunch of hippies standing in a corn field having a good ol' smoke out.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) Stalks of corn can slice you up. When I was skydiving, a jumper screwed up his landing and skimmed a field of corn cutting himself on the stalks. He safely landed in a cleared path a foot away.

But being a city kid, my gut reaction was a guffaw too.