School Librarians & Teachers discussion

2nd Year Librarian Adding Complex Text

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lena (new)

Lena (biblio_phi_l) | 4 comments Hi all, I'm a second year Librarian working for DC Public schools and I'm looking for suggestions as to how to incoporate complex text into my library instruction. I figured I'd have my students complete brief constructed responses based on what they feel the author is getting at then have them answer questions based on the reading. The only thing is--that's all I've got for now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and, more than likely, incorporated.

Also, I try to keep up with librarians on twitter in order to share ideas/suggestions. Please, if you have a twitter account, would you mind sharing it with me?

message 2: by Liam (last edited Jun 16, 2012 08:26PM) (new)

Liam O'Donnell (liamodonnell) | 9 comments Hey Lena - so far you've got some good ideas. If you want to put a critical literacy spin on it, you could challenge students to "ask questions" of the text. Who's voice do you hear? Who's voice is missing? Have them re-cast scene or create a missing scene from different perspectives.

Making comics is always good - lots of good websites for that. Bring in drama and you can have a lot of fun and keep the moving - always a good thing.

Have fun and let them lead the learning.

i'm @liamodonnell in twitter.

message 3: by Tabletj (new)

Tabletj | 2 comments What grades are you looking to do this for?
I'm @Tabletj.

message 4: by Lena (new)

Lena (biblio_phi_l) | 4 comments Thank you both for responding!

Tabletj. It's a mixture, honestly. My first year was 9-11th graders and this year I had 10-12th. Who knows what i'll have next year, but I wouldn't put it past anyone to give me students from each grade.

Liam, I'm taking note of your suggestions...especially the "ask questions" part. Perhaps instead of me creating the BCR, I could have them do it based on the reading?

Oh! I'm hitting you guys up on twitter right now!

message 5: by Lena (new)

Lena (biblio_phi_l) | 4 comments i'm @Biblio_PHI_L btw.

message 6: by Tabletj (new)

Tabletj | 2 comments Sometimes it can be interesting to let them find something they disagree with and argue against it. Of course it has to be within the parameters that it makes sense and is in response to the text.

message 7: by Liam (new)

Liam O'Donnell (liamodonnell) | 9 comments Lena wrote: "Perhaps instead of me creating the BCR, I could have them do it based on the reading?"

Definitely! Never be afraid of letting the students drive the learning. Welcoming their own lived experiences and interests into the lessons - if they love drama, then guide them through drama activities. Others will prefer computers, etc.

Come in with a plan and an idea, but when students are engaged and take the learning in a new direction, step aside and follow along. Be there to guide them as they discover the learning and you build it together. What they create will often be very different from what you imagined, but it will be authentic as opposed to a force "schooly" type activity (doing it because the teacher told them too.)

Good luck it. Give me a shout in Twitter any time.