What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Historical novel set in textile mills - maybe Lowell?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 3 comments Hello and thank you for reading this! :)

The book I'm looking for is about a young woman and perhaps her young brother who leave the family farm and go to live in a textile mill town so that she can support her family by working in the mills.

She lives in a boarding house and has a tough time, suffering one setback after another. If I remember correctly, the book has a rather predictable ending, but it contains a lot of details about life in a mill town and the work in the mills.

Thanks and have a great day!
Elizabeth

message 2: by Melanti (last edited Jun 08, 2012 07:50AM) (new)

Melanti | 333 comments Possibly Lyddie.

One detail from it that you might remember is her gluing pages of Dickens to her looms so she can read as she works.

Her siblings aren't in town with her, but she is using her salary to pay for her brother's schooling.

Failing that, here are a list of books set in Lowell:
http://www.goodreads.com/places/1206-...

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 3 comments Thank you - none of these are the one that I am searching for, but I've ordered some of them, anyway. :)

Happy reading!
Elizabeth

message 4: by Dawn (new)

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 71 comments Do you remember if it was young adult or adult?

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments It's adult- the Lowell stuff is the background. The main character, the girl, winds up pregnant

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 3 comments I think it was before the "young adult" genre even existed, so I'll bet it was for adults.

Emmeline looks kind of familiar, but I can't say for sure. I'll order that one, too.

A new quilt Block of the Month club is starting to honor the "girls of the mill," with fabrics and quilt blocks reproduced from the 19th century, so I thought it would be fun to give the quilt shop owner some books to put with the display model. :) But I will have to "test drive" them first, of course. ;)

Thanks y'all!
Elizabeth

message 8: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 389 comments There is another thread where someone was looking for a book set in Lowell in a textile mill, with some suggestions that haven't been mentioned yet here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris | 68 comments Call the Darkness Light by Nancy Zaroulis?

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris | 68 comments Dawn wrote: "It's adult- the Lowell stuff is the background. The main character, the girl, winds up pregnant"
Emmeline gets pregnant -

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Elizabeth, are you still looking for this book? Was it anything suggested?