The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, I'm new to this site. My name is Roisu, which is my actual name in Japanese. I'm from Ireland.
I love reading all types of books, except for very gruesome/scary ones. I especially like books on psychology and current affairs. I'm reading 'A Problem from Hell: America and the age of genocide' by Samantha Power at the moment, anyone else read it? So far its amazing.
Ok,thats me. Slan!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Welcome to Goodreads! This is a really fun group, plenty of discussions to check out :-)

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10087 comments Mod
Roisu,
Welcome to the group! Youre using a Japanese name but you are Irish? Or are you Japanese living in Ireland? Either way, I soo want to go to Ireland before I die!

message 4: by Malena (new)

Malena (thefieryheartnz) Welcome Roisu!!

message 5: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi Roisu, welcome and happy reading!

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 07, 2009 03:15PM) (new)

Hahaha, thanks, you guys! No, I'm an Irish girl who is facinated with Japan. Yeah, ye should come to Ireland someday, its good oul craic! T'would be great!

message 7: by Darla (new)

Darla (isishalo1) | 573 comments Welcome Roisu!

message 8: by Leah (new)

Leah (lulu328) | 2 comments Roisu wrote: "Hi, I'm new to this site. My name is Roisu, which is my actual name in Japanese. I'm from Ireland.
I love reading all types of books, except for very gruesome/scary ones. I especially like books o..."

Hello Roisu,
By the way how do you pronounce your name? If you don't mind me asking.
My husband is irish (born in USA) I would love to take him there, maybe for our 20th.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Leah!
No, its cool. Its like this...RO-EES-SUH. Maybe it would be easier if I just told people my real name.....

Thats cool! Where in Ireland is your husband from, if you don't mind me asking?

Nice to meet ya!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Its cool that you know about your great great grandfather! Wouldn't have liked to have been in Ireland at that time, what with the famine and all...

Yep, Quinn is quite a common name in Ireland, I know several!

You should come over here sometime if ya can (and if you can handle the contant rain!).

message 11: by Leah (new)

Leah (lulu328) | 2 comments Roisu wrote: "Hi Leah!
No, its cool. Its like this...RO-EES-SUH. Maybe it would be easier if I just told people my real name.....

Thats cool! Where in Ireland is your husband from, if you don't mind me asking?..."

I'm not sure, he was adopted as a baby, but father's side settled in North Dakota when they came over. I believe his grandmother lived in Nova Soctia (not sure on spelling sorry)

Petra hugged a guy who got Covid next day. Oh dear (petra-x) Hi there Roisu, pretty name. I like psychology books too. Also neurology.

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments Welcome to the group - I'm marreid to an "Irishman" so would love to get there someday.

message 14: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Welcome Roisu!!!

message 15: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Welcome Roisu

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 69 comments Welcome, welcome!

message 17: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Hi Roisu! Welcome and good luck with all the fun here!
Where in Ireland do you live?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Jeane, thanks! I live in Dublin, on the East coast. Petra X, neurology is deadly, that is really cool!

message 19: by Mikki (new)

Mikki (aussietwins99) Wow! You have a Japanese name and Irish! That explains your contriversal post..
I've always wanted to visit both those countries and I will one day! I wonder what the difference in living in Ireland is how things have changed as a result of Peace with religious factions...
My parents and sister visited Ireland and I always wanted to get there but haven't yet, got as far as Scotland and headed to Scandanavia from there! Anyhow Welcome Im also new here and live in an even more contriversal country!

message 20: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments Welcome Rosiu !

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Mikki, you went to Scotland? Deadly! I've always wanted to go there... Where are ya from?

message 22: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Scotland is great. Been to Edinburg twice and adore it. The first time we took a bus trip with a great Scottish guide who knew so much about history and things guides normally don't tell. We saw the Highlands and went till Inverness. We almsot were going to go and live in Edinburgh last November.... .

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, Jeane, that sounds amazing! Do many people speak Scots-Gaelic there? It seems like a really beautiful country. Whats Edinburgh like?

message 24: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments they have a very beautiful Scottish accent! I love it. Edinburgh has history everywhere you look in the centre. You can see the castle from every point, the long mile is great, the street towards the castle and all the other parts that make you think about their rich history. If there would have been jobs in Edinburgh we for sure would have gone there, but it will be a place to keep going on holiday and hopefully to see more from Scotland too!

message 25: by Mikki (new)

Mikki (aussietwins99) Roisu wrote: "Hey Mikki, you went to Scotland? Deadly! I've always wanted to go there... Where are ya from?"

iM Originally from Australia but live elsewhere!
Somewhere very contriversal these days!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group!

message 27: by Mikki (new)

Mikki (aussietwins99) Thanks Emilee I'm looking forward to get to know you all!

message 28: by Mikki (new)

Mikki (aussietwins99) How apt! Maybe I can be saved by Grace this time!
thanks for the welcome!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Saved by Grace! Love your name- what made you pick it/where did you get your inspiration? Come to Ireland! Sure its great craic (or it would be if it STOPPED RAINING! GRRRRRR). Do you know much about Japanese-English name translations? Because if you do, you will be able to figure out my actual name...

message 30: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I would love to see Ireland someday. As others have already said, your name is lovely. Welcome!

message 31: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Don't go now Kandice, you could be blown back just because of the storm!!!!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

A fellow Irish gal, eh? Hahaha, you're right!

message 33: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments hello,
I've been out of town for a few days and not on the board - just wanted to welcome you to the group!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Robin, thanks a lot! Hope you enjoyed being out of town!

message 35: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Roisu wrote: "A fellow Irish gal, eh? Hahaha, you're right!"

Me? Actually not:-) Just a Belgian girl who is never in Belgium....

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Heather! Thanks, yeah, I absolutely love those books, they rock! If I may say so, you have great taste too! :-)