The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2012: WIND/AIR > 20.5 - Bigger is Better - Wendy UK's task: Let's Talk About the Weather

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 08, 2012 06:35AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17876 comments Mod
20.5 - Bigger Is Better - Wendy UK's task: Let's Talk About the Weather

A feature of summer in Britain is unsettled weather - I think that's why we talk about it so much! We plan in the hope that the weather will be warm, dry and sunny - but often it's not. So the Queen has just celebrated her Diamond Jubilee with a river pageant - in the rain, and a carriage procession - in the rain! Street parties and picnics have been cancelled, or endured in the rain.

Share in our British Summer by reading a book with a rainy picture on the cover, OR the word RAIN in the title or subtitle, series titles are excluded. Or as an alternative - in acknowledgement of the Jubilee - a book with the homophone REIGN in the title or subtitle, series titles are excluded.

Rains, rained, rainy, raining or reigns, reigned reigning may also be used, but not compound words such as rainbow or raincoat.

And hopefully the weather here will turn hot and sunny soon!

message 2: by Wendy UK (last edited Jun 20, 2012 03:19AM) (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Here are some rainy cover options:

Gym Candy by Carl Deuker Past Perfect by Leila Sales The Accident by Linwood Barclay Daphne by Justine Picardie Midnight Rain by Dee Davis Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry, #2) by Simone Elkeles Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2) by Becca Fitzpatrick Perfectly Matched (Lucy Valentine, #4) by Heather Webber

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17876 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 5: by Bea (new)

message 6: by Dee (last edited Jun 08, 2012 07:52AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7692 comments and of course, I just finished up a book end of last month with Rain in the title...lol!!!

I enjoyed The Scent of Rain and Lightning if anyone likes mysteries

message 7: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments I know what you mean Wendy, it seems to have been raining constantly since Easter!

What about this one for rain on the cover, based on the black clouds that look just like the ones outside my window, and the glistening road?
The Greenhouse by Auður A. Ólafsdóttir

message 8: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 911 comments Dee wrote: "and of course, I just finished up a book end of last month with Rain in the title...lol!!!

I enjoyed The Scent of Rain and Lightning if anyone likes mysteries"

I had nothing on my 500+ TBR list to use for this task, but The Scent of Rain and Lightning looks good. Thanks, Dee!

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7692 comments no problem Ann - I'd like to hear your thoughts when you are done ;)

message 10: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Rosemary wrote: "I know what you mean Wendy, it seems to have been raining constantly since Easter!

What about this one for rain on the cover, based on the black clouds that look just like the ones outside my wind..."

I'm not sure about that one Rosemary - it doesn't look to me as if it's actually raining in the picture, when I enlarged it it looked more like gravel on the road than puddles - so I think I'll have to say no. Sorry.

message 11: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments Does Gym Candy by Carl Deuker work for the cover option?

message 12: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Randi wrote: "Does Gym Candy by Carl Deuker work for the cover option?"

Yes - I think that looks like rain.

message 13: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments does this work. it looks like a rain storm to me. Birthmarked (Birthmarked, #1) by Caragh M. O'Brien

message 14: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments does this work for rain? Thanks:)
Past Perfect by Leila Sales

message 15: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments Wendy UK wrote: "Randi wrote: "Does Gym Candy by Carl Deuker work for the cover option?"

Yes - I think that looks like rain."

Thanks, Wendy! :)

message 16: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments Keltie Lee wrote: "does this work for rain? Thanks:)
Past Perfect by Leila Sales"

That's a really cute book! I read it for the spring challenge. :) I love the setting.

message 17: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments Randi wrote: "Keltie Lee wrote: "does this work for rain? Thanks:)

That's a really cute book! I read it for the spring challenge. :) I love the setting."

It looks really good, I can't wait to start it:)

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 967 comments Let me recommend a book I discovered in the last SRC and really enjoyed. It is not a "light" read, but the writing is excellent and the story about a half-Chinese half-English boy and the Japanese occupation of Malaysia is compelling.

The Gift of Rain A Novel by Tan Twan Eng

message 19: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments The British weather has been awful hasn't it. So wet & windy here today.Just wanted to see if either of these would work for a rainy cover
The Accident by Linwood Barclay
These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 08, 2012 01:59PM) (new)

I took Thursday and Friday before the Bank Holidays off. It was blue skies and sunshine here until Wednesday evening.

Daphne by Justine Picardie

Does this one work? You can't see the rain but she is using an umbrella.

message 21: by Bucket (new)

Bucket | 369 comments OMG - I like to do all the 20 point tasks and the one book I hadn't fit in yet was After Rain by William Trevor! Wendy, you read my mind when you created this task!

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) | 672 comments I have the perfect book for this one. :) Rain in the title, AND it is raining!

Midnight Rain by Dee Davis

message 23: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments JennRenee wrote: "does this work. it looks like a rain storm to me. Birthmarked (Birthmarked, #1) by Caragh M. O'Brien"

The sky is very black, but as the girl is totally dry, and the book description mentions it being parched dry, I think it's a wind storm, so I don't think that can be classed as a rainy picture - sorry.

message 24: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Keltie Lee wrote: "does this work for rain? Thanks:)

Yes, that's rain.

message 25: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Sam wrote: "The British weather has been awful hasn't it. So wet & windy here today.Just wanted to see if either of these would work for a rainy cover
The Accident by Linwood Barclay
These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf"

I would say yes for this one The Accident by Linwood Barclay

but no for the other as the water doesn't seem to be disturbed by raindrops.

message 26: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Chris wrote: "Let me recommend a book I discovered in the last SRC and really enjoyed. It is not a "light" read, but the writing is excellent and the story about a half-Chinese half-English boy and the Japanese ..."

Good recommendation - I was thinking of that one myself.

message 27: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments Thanks Wendy.

message 28: by Wendy UK (last edited Jun 09, 2012 05:58AM) (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Pigletto wrote: "I took Thursday and Friday before the Bank Holidays off. It was blue skies and sunshine here until Wednesday evening.

Daphne by Justine Picardie

Does this one work? You can't see the rain but she is usi..."

Yes - she's wearing a raincoat and boots, and carrying an umbrella - so we'll say it's raining.

That's strange - the picture seems to have changed! Anyway, approved for your book cover: Daphne by Justine Picardie

message 29: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Bucket wrote: "OMG - I like to do all the 20 point tasks and the one book I hadn't fit in yet was After Rain by William Trevor! Wendy, you read my mind when you created this task!"

Happy to help, Bucket!

message 30: by Wendy UK (last edited Jun 09, 2012 05:12AM) (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Christina (AKA Babbling) wrote: "I have the perfect book for this one. :) Rain in the title, AND it is raining!

Midnight Rain by Holly Lisle"

Yes - that certainly is very rainy!
Or at least your cover picture is - it seems to change when I reply!
Now I see it's another book by a different author! Still that one works too.
And here's yours: Midnight Rain by Dee Davis

message 31: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments I notice the Brits are talking about the weather when they post their questions!

We have heavy black clouds this morning, and it's very windy, but not raining at the moment!

message 32: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments do these work Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2) by Becca Fitzpatrick and Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry, #2) by Simone Elkeles

message 33: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4091 comments All this Brit talk about rain has brought some to CT! What ever happened to the sun today?

message 34: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments JennRenee wrote: "do these work Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2) by Becca Fitzpatrick and The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis"

Yes - they both look rainy enough.

Your covers - the wrong one's come up again!

message 35: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments JennRenee wrote: "Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2) by Becca Fitzpatrick"

Thanks for the idea! I just got that one on audio, but I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the cover! I gotta read the first book first though...

message 36: by Marscha (last edited Jun 19, 2012 04:33AM) (new)

Marscha (mysterymb) | 429 comments Does this Perfectly Matched (Lucy Valentine, #4) by Heather Webber work for a rainy cover?

message 37: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Marscha wrote: "Does this Perfectly Matched (Lucy Valentine, #4) by Heather Webber work for a rainy cover?"

Yes, that looks fine.

message 38: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments I am going away to Scotland for a week's holiday. Back 4th July to answer any questions. Hope it won't inconvenience anyone.

message 39: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments Hope you are having a good holiday Wendy! Just wondering if this will work for a rainy cover:
Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger

message 40: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Rosemary wrote: "Hope you are having a good holiday Wendy! Just wondering if this will work for a rainy cover:
Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger"

Hi Rosemary - I had a very wet holiday!

I can't really see if it's raining on the book cover -it just looks foggy to me. If the cover hadn't mentioned parasols I would have assumed that was an umbrella and therefore it would be raining - it certainly doesn't look bright enough for a sunshade! As you have the book I think I'll have to trust your judgement on this one -does it look rainy to you?

message 41: by Kim (new)

Kim (goodreadscomkimber) | 731 comments Here's one I'd like to get approval for -

Spring Fevers by Matt Sinclair

Just want to make sure. Thanks!

message 42: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Kim wrote: "Here's one I'd like to get approval for -

Spring Fevers by Matt Sinclair

Just want to make sure. Thanks!"

Yes - the cover looks rainy enough. But it seems to be only a kindle book, so you'll need to get it approved for length.

message 43: by Kim (new)

Kim (goodreadscomkimber) | 731 comments Thanks for the quick reply Wendy UK! I did also check on length and I'm good on that too so I'm all set to go for your task! Looking forward to it! :)

message 44: by Nicki (last edited Aug 17, 2012 12:49PM) (new)

Nicki H (nickihermann) City of Women by David R. Gillham Would this work? It is as thought the women is behind a window in the rain.

Thanks.

message 45: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Nicki wrote: "City of Women by David R. Gillham Would this work? It is as thought the women is behind a window in the rain.

Thanks."

Yes - that's what it looks like to me too.