What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's Picture book. Composer in medieval court loses his music written for king? Bird finds the sheets & brings them back. Rich, beautiful illustrations. Read in 1980's.

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrealb) | 58 comments I'm sorry, this is very vague, but this was a picture book with beautiful illustrations.

In a medieval country the court composer writes a piece of music (for the king's birthday?). Somehow the sheets of music blow away or get lost and the composer is very upset because he'll get into trouble if he doesn't have any music for the king. But a bird finds all the sheets and brings them back.

I read this in the 80s as a child. The illustrations really stuck with me - very rich and lavish.

Can anyone help? This is driving me crazy!

Thanks in advance!

[x-posted to Library-Thing forum "Name that book"]

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) You might want to cross-post also to the Children's Books group here on GR. It sounds vaguely familiar to me; I'll think on it.

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrealb) | 58 comments Thanks, Cheryl! I'll try that.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrealb) | 58 comments Bump.

(P.S. I looked at the Children's Book group and it's a bit scary - they have all sorts of rules regarding who may post where and why. I couldn't figure out where I'd put a lost book query. So I ran away.)

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Oh, no, the rules are just because they(we) keep getting spammed from authors. They (we) like to be organized, but if you misplace the query it's easy for them to move it. :)

We're actually quite friendly. Here's a link to the best folder for the query: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_...

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrealb) | 58 comments Thanks, Cheryl. I have cross-posted it there :)

message 7: by Andrea (new)

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37832 comments Mod
Andrea, are you still looking for this book?

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrealb) | 58 comments I am indeed :(

message 10: by Kris (last edited Dec 13, 2013 09:51AM) (new)

Kris | 33505 comments Mod
Could it have been a famous composer?

Was the story only about the composer, or about preparations for a big event (king's birthday?)?

Were the illustrations realistic, cartoony, bold like acrylics/oils, whimsical and delicate like watercolors, etc.?

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrealb) | 58 comments Hi Kris,

No, this wasn't about a real composer. It's definitely fiction.

The pictures were vibrant and detailed, lots of rich primary colours and precise lines. Two illustrators whose work looks similar to how I remember the book's are K.Y. Craft and P.J. Lynch. But it's been about 30 years, so I might be remembering wrong.

The story was set in a medieval castle town. I think the composer's room was in the castle wall, and when he looked out the window next to the table where he worked, he could see the palace in the centre of the town, on a hill.

The bird was something small and simple like a dove or a sparrow, I think.

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I'm glad you're still looking. I'm interested, too. I hope we can remember to bump this every few months.

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrealb) | 58 comments Bumpity-bump

Justanotherbiblophile | 1740 comments Bump for beautiful illustrations

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrealb) | 58 comments Bump

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrealb) | 58 comments I'm starting to think I dreamed this book... But anyway, here's another bump!

message 17: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrealb) | 58 comments Bumpity bump!

message 19: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrealb) | 58 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "King Wilbur the Third's Birthday Present?"

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I can't find any information on this book, not even a picture, so I have no idea if it's the one I'm looking for.

message 20: by Kris (last edited Apr 05, 2019 06:50AM) (new)

"Jim Rogerson: King Wilbur books..." - sample illustrations by George Him: http://www.georgehim.co.uk/wilbur.html

King Wilbur the Third's Birthday Present by James Rogerson - 32-page picture book (some color), 1976, London: Dent (publisher)
https://www.worldcat.org/title/king-w...

message 21: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrealb) | 58 comments It looks like these are focused on the king. In the book I'm thinking about, the king was in the background and the focus was on the composer's experience.

Thanks anyway!

message 22: by Andrea (new)

message 23: by Kris (new)

Andrea, I added some details to the topic header, so your book might be recognized from the header alone. Many members only read the headers.

Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 24: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 4 comments This makes me think of The Nightingale by Hans Christian Andersen...

message 25: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrealb) | 58 comments Kris wrote: "Andrea, I added some details to the topic header, so your book might be recognized from the header alone. Many members only read the headers.

Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" li..."

Thank you, Kris!

message 26: by Kris (new)

You're welcome.

message 27: by Andrea (new)