Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) Daughter of Smoke & Bone question

Should I keep going?
GoAskPerl GoAskPerl Jun 07, 2012 09:56PM
I am 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through and I have no desire to keep going. I really don't care to find out what happens. They broke the wishbone a couple of chapters ago (I think) and I'm reading about who Karou was in her past life. I've been losing interest for a while... Does it get better or should I move on to another book?

READ THIS. omg please read this. It's amazing, It's hands down one of the most beautifully crafted books out there. I strongly, strongly recommend you give this another try.

I started reading this and after the first few chapters I put it down for about a week.
I picked it back up and finshed it. I was already loving it by the breaking of the wishbone part of the story. If you're not into by then I'd let it go because it probably isn't for you.

S.L.J. (last edited Jul 22, 2012 04:21PM ) Jul 22, 2012 04:20PM   0 votes
I had a hard time with this book as well. I liked that it was full of different and surreal ideas that you don't usually see in YA but in the end, none of the characters intrested me very much.

But then, I've never been a big fan of 'past lives' books. Seems too much like forced background or set dressing for the characters. At worst it's an excuse for characters actions. I prefer first time, coming into something new with no previous help books.

This just wasn't my kind of book.

I remember the end being the best part

Well it depends on if you care. Since you don't then you should put it down.
I felt the same way in the beginning of the book and was irritated with it but then I kept going and loved it, all of it because I thought it was so amazing!
But you may not like it, so don't continue if you think that you are wasting your time and don't care to know what happens.

Personally I loved every word of this book. I found myself trying to read slower as I got closer to the end...I just didn't want it to be over. But that's me...honestly if you're still not into it after this much I don't think you're going to like the rest of it. So I vote move on to something that really speaks to YOU.

Annie I loved every word too...and am dying for book 2!!! you must have great taste!!!! :)
Sep 07, 2012 04:23PM · flag

KEEP GOING!!!!!!! I really loved this story and the end is awesome!!!!! I cant wait for #2!!!!!!!!!

Nothing in the book impressed me, no character interested me and the story line was puerile to say the least. I disliked it, all of it, from start to finish.

Life is short. Read what you love.

Jessica So true!
Sep 16, 2012 03:30PM · flag

deleted member Jul 22, 2012 04:07PM   0 votes
I thought that that part was a bit difficult to get through also, but I still enjoyed it. If you're like me then you should deffinately keep reading, because I really love the book.

But if you're more then having just a little bit of difficulty then it might be best to stop.

I would like to add that the ending, and having all of the pieces of the puzzle fit, were awesome and made the whole book better for me.

YEEEEES!

Well i loved this book :)

I enjoyed this book very much. I understand how you feel, however. You feel as if you were just getting to the good parts with Karou and Akiva, then WHAM, you have to read about Mad and their love and it feels like a completely different story. Then, you are frustrated because you want to skip over those chapters and see what happens.

But, at the same time, I was curious to know about what happened in the past. What were the teeth for? Why did she die? What happened for Karou to be here now? So, it the long run, the seven chapters of her past life are very important and actually very enjoyable as you read along.

I promise you will find the ending both enjoyable yet heart wreching. Laini Taylor likes to rip out her readers hearts.

Merce (last edited Jul 24, 2012 02:58PM ) Jul 24, 2012 02:51PM   0 votes
I never got into it even in the beginning. If you don't like it now that probably won't change. At least it didn't for me and I read the whole book. At the point where it talks about her past life it does that until about the last chapter. So if you don't like that I wouldn't recommend continuing.

Anthony (last edited Sep 18, 2012 11:30AM ) Jul 22, 2012 04:19PM   0 votes
It's funny, but I think the last half of the book dealing with Karou's origin...is probably the one thing that a lot of readers comment negatively about. I mean, that's about all I hear "Oh, it's a wonderful book...except until it gets to the history part at the end..."

I guess, I don't understand this negative perspective. What did people think was going to happen? The whole thing was leading up to revealing who she is and where she came from, etc. etc. and the only way to do that...is to tell the story of the past, on how she got to this point. So I'm a little perplexed by the negative reaction. The second half does move at its own pace, but if it moved faster, it would have felt forced...and if she moved slower, it would have felt like she didn't care enough.

I personally loved the book. And I thought the first part made you care deeply about Karou and Akiva...and then the second part...put their relationship in a completely different but ultimately more tragic and heartbreaking context. Because before the second part, it was almost feeling like "love at first sight" type of thing, which is fine and all that. But after the second part, their relationship is shown to have not only tragic origins, but also tragic consequences.

and now I can't wait for the sequel to appear and see where she takes these characters from here.

deleted member Jun 10, 2012 08:25PM   0 votes
I loved it... Just give it a chance!!