Daily Diary discussion

Fun, fun, fun > Any Recommendations?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin | 10 comments Hi, I'm new to Goodreads. And I don't have anything else to read. So does anybody have any recommendations for a good book? thanks!!

message 2: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 100 comments What types of books do you like in general?

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Hey Erin, Here's my advice: Look at your friend's (or anyone commenting that you think sounds intelligent) book lists and check out any books you think might be interesting. They give a blurb about the book if you click on the title. Also some groups, like Chicks on Lit, have discussions about books that people are planning on reading or read last year and loved. And, of course, many groups have bookshelves.

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 100 comments Or look at our top ten reads of the year for some more suggestions.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 41 comments IF You like environmentoriented books -WORLD WITHOUT US by ALAN WEISMAN

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin | 10 comments Thank you guys a lot! I'm really into all different kinds of books. Especially the ones that have a twist in the end like 'Identical' by Ellen Hopkins. You think its two different people explaining their life, but really its just one person.

And I only have 1 friend on here because I'm new. :)
But thank you all for replying and if you want you can add me as a friend. Thanks!

message 7: by Peanut (new)

Peanut "Especially the ones that have a twist in the end like 'Identical' by Ellen Hopkins. You think its two different people explaining their life, but really its just one person."

Guess I don't need to read that book now!!!! Word to the wise - be careful with your spoilers.

message 8: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 100 comments It is hard to view you with private profile.

If you want books that have twists in the end try Jodi Picoult.

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin | 10 comments Thanks Meg. I'll look into it.

And Peanut...I'm sorry. But with Identical, i don't really think you'd like it anyway.

message 10: by Peanut (new)

Peanut No worries Erin! I'm an all over the board reader and twist endings usually intrigue me. Granted it definitely isn't anywhere near what I'm reading now (Gossip Girl)!

DOH (said with a slightly embarrassing grin). :)

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Erin wrote: "Hi, I'm new to Goodreads. And I don't have anything else to read. So does anybody have any recommendations for a good book? thanks!!"

I have a (very outdated, it's three years old) generic list of the 100 books I'd recommend to anyone, at any time, anywhere, here. Hopefully a few of them tickle your fancy...

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin | 10 comments Thanks Peanut. I didn't know they actually had a series of books about Gossip Girl. I've only heard about the show. Are they any good?

And Robert, thanks for the list. I'm looking forward to looking up some of them.

message 13: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 100 comments Robert, Can I see the list too?

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin | 10 comments Hey Meg, just click on the "here" and you can go there.

message 15: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 100 comments Thanx!

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin | 10 comments You're welcome.

message 17: by Ika (new)

Ika (devita) | 19 comments I sometimes see the cover - I know that we should not judge the book by its cover, but it sometimes help me to find the book I want to read.. lol..- to find and decide which book I want to read.

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I agree with Icha. When I browse around the bookstore, I often pick up books whose covers attract me. I reserve judgment until I read the back and see what it's about. I now feel bad for the books with unattractive covers because I don't know if I'll ever pick them up...

message 19: by Ika (new)

Ika (devita) | 19 comments yes Lori. me too. I always read the back and then decide whether I want to read it or not. Sometimes the bad cover is good but sometimes they are bad too. lol.. anyway, browsing the books at the bookstore is like a heaven for me.. lol..

message 20: by Erin (new)

Erin | 10 comments I'm that same way. I look for books where the cover attracts me and then I'll read the back to see if it is interesting.

message 21: by Erin (new)

Erin | 10 comments If you guys have any good recommendations for books, please let me know. Or any good authors.

message 22: by Terri (new)

Terri Has anybody here read "March" by Geraldine Brooks? I checked it out on Amazon and it certainly sounds good.
I'm going to check out that 100 list here also. Thanks for listing it.

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Erin, Hemingway is pretty good. I've read a couple of novels and some short stories. They have different tones, so don't let one put you off forever. A Farewell to Arms was my first experience with him. The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Tales was my first experience with his short stories. I've since bought bunches of his novels and his entire short stories.

message 24: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I often wonder about the power of covers...I've gotten so many books I've reserved from the library but when I'm in a bookstore I have to admit, covers often attract me to a book.

message 25: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
Great, great list of movies and books, Robert!

message 26: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Ed wrote: "Great, great list of movies and books, Robert!"

Thanks! I need to do a new one covering the last three years of my reading.

message 27: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) Terri wrote: "Has anybody here read "March" by Geraldine Brooks? I checked it out on Amazon and it certainly sounds good.
I'm going to check out that 100 list here also. Thanks for listing it."

Brooks' best is her first, "Year of Wonders". I really looked forward to her next, which turned out to be "March". Different, attracted my attention by it's connection to "Little Women", kept my attention, but not as good as the first. Her next, "People of the Book", I just could NOT get into (and I tried a few times) - disappointing ;o(

message 28: by Erin (new)

Erin | 10 comments I haven't read "March", is it good? Is Geraldine Brooks any good? I'll have to look into her.

message 29: by Terri (new)

Terri I just glanced at your profile and see you enjoy chick-lit......there's so many chick-lit authors out there, Erin.
I bet I know a book you'd really enjoy, The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen. Cute story. Get it at your local library.

message 30: by Terri (new)

Terri Liz.....thanks for heads up. I wasn't certain about March and now I'm convinced I wouldn't probably like it, but I'll check out Year of Wonders. Thanks.

message 31: by Erin (new)

Erin | 10 comments Thanks Terri. What's it about? (The Sugar Queen)??

I'll have to check it out, because just the title alone caught my attention.