Dark Prince (Dark, #1) Dark Prince discussion

What is your opinion on this book?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Mercelle I really am interested in reading this but there is a lot of mix reviews on this book.

So please leave your opinion as to why it's worth a read or not.

thank you

Patsy I have read all of the Dark Series books. I think that The Dark Prince which is book one in the series was one of my favorite. I think there are 22 books in the series at this point. I love that the men in this series love their women so completely and are very protective. I would definitely give you the thumbs up on reading this book and the series.

Julie Perham I'd say read it. Admittedly Dark Prince has a special spot as it was the first Christine Feehan I picked up.

A.D. Trosper I like her Dark Series. Dark Prince is one of my favorites.

Christy I love the Dark Series. The first one is the BEST!!! It is worth the read..

Sharon Honestly it was really hard for me to get into this book. I had a little bit of a problem with the heroine being so wishy washy and the hero being so overbearing. I almost put it down halfway through but because it is by Christine Feehan I decided to keep going. I am really glad I did. Is it the best book I've ever read? No. But the last half did pick up the pace enough for me to stay interested and I will be trying at least one more of this series.

message 7: by sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

sam i really liked the book
the fact that the guy is a little too possessive a bit irritating. but all in all a really good book.

Sylvie I've enjoyed most of the books in the Carpathian series. But honestly, I think that if somebody hadn't said "keep reading - they get better!" I wouldn't have read past Dark Prince. As Sharon and DudeWhatever both pointed out, Mikhail was way too overbearing and possessive, and Raven was just too passive. But then again, CF has written some of my favorite characters (among them Lucian, Gabriel & Gregori) so I'm glad I stuck with them.

Sian I wasn't sure when I started reading this, but I gave it a fair chance. By the end of the book I was a big fan and completely gripped, every new book in the series that comes out is now a must read and this book has become a favourite.

Although Mikhail is possessive, Raven balances him and shows him change. When someone is so old I guess I can get why he is the way he is.

message 10: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Curry I loved this book. From page 1 I became instatntly addicted. The whole series is a wonderful and thrilling ride.

message 11: by Gena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gena I have read the whole series, and Dark Prince really is one of my favorites!! Love this book.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 12, 2012 01:38PM) (new)

I say, go for it !! This was my first C Feehan book, and it's the first of the series, i loved it !!
I still think it's one of the best, and i belive you will be addicted to the series. Christine Feehan is a great author and this series is amazing !!

message 13: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Curry This is one of my favorite book of the series, as well. But every book in the series are all addicting also. Looking forward to the last book

Melinda I love the Dark Series! I actually read it out of order because I was lent one of the ones in the middle, so when I read Dark Prince I basically knew what to expect. This is not my favorite in the series, but it is still a good book and a must read if you are a fan of the series as a whole. I am not a big Romance reader (this is, in fact, the only series that I read in the Romance genre), but Feehan keeps me coming back. She writes very well and does not throw in unnecessary sex just because, she only uses it when needed (she actually has a few books with only one or two) and knows how to write good dialogue.

Michielle Dark Prince is a good read. But with most of the first books I have read of any series, it is usually not the best one for me. It takes a lot of time setting up the situation at hand. And as you read more books, there are several story arcs that start to take place. I would suggest reading Dark Hunger Dark Hunger (Carpathians, #14) by Christine Feehan in the anthology Hot Blooded Hot Blooded  by Christine Feehan if you're not sure if you want to invest the time in an entire book to decide if you may or may not like the series. There are no spoilers to the series, well that I can recall. It is also the first story I read of the Dark series and I was hooked on all Feehan's series after that.

Kimberly Christine Feehan's Dark Series is an Awesome series. I would recommend them to anyone!

Sheila I'm with you Pam

Carina Twilight ruined these books for me... I cannot help but compare the way the women in Feehans books don't really have an option over who they're going to end up with, which is the same issue with the Werewolves in Twilight.

Ignoring that - these books are well written and actually have plots which is always a bonus.

message 19: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I love the dark series. Yes, Mikhail is overly possessive, but I would be too if I'd lived such a bleak existence. I also love the idea that there's only one person out there who can complete you.

I also find it humorous that for all his power, he's a sucker for this one woman Raven. Don't let anyone fool you, she has a lot of power over him.

Sylvie I agree with Pam and Sheila! (Except for Rafael and Aidan - especially Rafael - blecch!)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Pam wrote: ":) forget Twilight give me a Carpathian any day :)"

I'm with you, Pam, Carpathians are much, much better than Twilight.For me Twilight, was more young adult romance ! Carpathians are the real thing!!

Sheila Dark Prince started out so bleak and sad I almost put it down. But, I decided to at least read a chapter. After that I couldn't it down. I was hooked.

message 23: by Jess (last edited Aug 07, 2012 09:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess I was in two minds before reading this book because of the reviews as well. However, I ended up loving it. Of course it's not perfect and does have its issues, but overall I was just really entertained. If I feel connected to the characters and the world like I did here, other things like editing errors ect don't really bother me. So my advice, try it and see for yourself :)

There have been better written books in the series, but Dark Prince and Mikhail/Raven remains a top favorite of mine and I actually owe this book in getting me back into Paranormal Romance.

The interesting thing is that Mikhail actually grows a lot in the following books compared to how he was in Dark Prince. He's more laid back & funny now and (well as much as a powerful and alpha Carp can be, lol). He and Gregori are hilarious together.

Loretta Mercelle wrote: "I really am interested in reading this but there is a lot of mix reviews on this book.

thank you"

This was the very first book that I read..loved it...became hooked on all off them.I have the whole set and I do re-read them all :)

NanaV The Dark Series was my first paranormal series I read.. The Dark Prince was a slow read at first, but I didn't start reading until a few more books from series were available . Dark Prince wasn't my favorite book, but he was my favorite character.

Loretta, I feel the same way..I've reread it a few times, and run into things I wasn't aware when I read it the first time.
Dark Hunters was the second series I read..

message 26: by Shawn (new) - added it

Shawn I've read all the books in this series and I'm never disappointed. I think this one was my second or third PNR series and I remain a fan with each new book. Dark Prince is the first book and as with most series the first book can start out slow because of the world building the author creates. She pulls you in though and leaves you eager for the next book.

Enjoy!!!!

Sharon I do believe another reason I struggled with this book was the length. I downloaded the author's special cut edition to my kindle. After I finished I read on her website that it has like 100 extra pages in it. I really think had I read the shorter version I wouldn't have struggled so much with it. I will definitely give the series another shot though. I do love Christine Feehan's other books.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

hm...reading this book depends on what type of books you like. if you like those really emotional, romantic books (and i stress on romance), then you should read it; but if you're looking for a strong female character, don't; Raven just doesn't pull it off as a strong female lead.

Maryanne if you're a fan of paranormal / fantasy romance... adventure...then you'll like this series... I find I can nit pic in just about any fantasy series I read.. but the bottom line is, it's a captivating story line and it's well executed :D

message 30: by A.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

A.D. Trosper I guess it depends on your definition of strength. Strength comes in many forms. I think Raven had quiet strength, the kind that does what is needed when it is needed, but not in an 'in your face' kind of way.

message 31: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess I agree A.D. I personally really liked Raven.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

lol, yes it does depend on your definition of strength, and i was refering to raven's implusiveness, not the 'in your face' kind of way, which borders on scary.

NanaV I do love Raven...I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself well, but to me she had a quiet strength ~ a woman of substance. Perfect for Mikhail.

Maryanne My initial response was- yes it's a good paranormal romance series... But that was only based on the first book. Think I jumped the gun a little. After reading 3/4 of the second book I realized the actual storyline was quite lacking, particularly when you compare it to immortals after dark which I'm also reading (and loving :P)... You just have to give it a try, everyone has different tastes... I have half the carpathian series sitting on my book shelf. I'm not sure I'll be tackling them ;/

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* NanaVamp wrote: "I do love Raven...I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself well, but to me she had a quiet strength ~ a woman of substance. Perfect for Mikhail."

Me too. I thought Raven was fun and interesting, and Mikhail sexy and pretty amazing himself. Enjoy the other subcharacters in this one quite a bit too and meeting them for the first time, they without mates yet and all being protective. Personally one of my favorites and I don't get the dislike.

Natasha I have to say this is my favorite book in this series next to dark magic that is.

Demica Woodrow I really enjoyed this series, it gets better with next book. i have read the whole series and is waiting for the next one. I love how all her men are so different in how the get the women and she always adding something new into it. I liked so much i got my husband to read it. we enjoy find books and sharing it with each other.

Paganalexandria I am not a fan. I actually have to realize the Carpathain series is one of the few established paranormal romance series that I can not get into. They all seem too stalker crazy for me to find hot. I don't like have to women have no choice in their own future. I usually love mate-mate storylines, but these I just can't...

Julie Ramsey Mercelle wrote: "I really am interested in reading this but there is a lot of mix reviews on this book.

thank you"

Julie Ramsey awesome book great series. Read them in order, you will get more out of the series. You can read them out of order but you might not get the full story experience!

Tracy Tuggle I have only read Dark Prince only because I can't find the other ones. I will not read them out of sequence. LOL. I LOVED the book. My daughter has read several of them and loves them. It is the start of a great series and I can't wait until I find the others.

Julie Ramsey Look on amazon for the books. You can get kindle version or hard copies. A lot of the hard copies are cheaper. I also know our library has many of them!

message 43: by Jess (last edited Oct 11, 2012 03:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Well it seems Mercelle the thread starter read the book and gave it 4 stars. Glad she ended up liking it.

Michielle Jess wrote: "Well it seems Mercelle the thread starter read the book and gave it 4 stars. Glad she ended up liking it."

=) Great follow up Jess. I would never thought of checking.

Michielle Tracy wrote: "I have only read Dark Prince only because I can't find the other ones. I will not read them out of sequence. LOL. I LOVED the book. My daughter has read several of them and loves them. It is the st..."

There are a lot of good ones. My favorite is Dark Slayer.

Seanna Huber the Dark Series is one of my favorite series. I read them all starting with book 1. its nice to know each character and how they came to be....

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Dark prince was good until his woman opened her mouth...she sounded so whiney...i thought the prince deserved another..whether she was shy but loving or guts...but not whiney

Moarbooxpls I love me some PNR but I could not finish this book. It was too date rapey/Stockholm Syndrome-y for me.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Moarbooxpls wrote: "I love me some PNR but I could not finish this book. It was too date rapey/Stockholm Syndrome-y for me."

I could not finis it 'cos she was whiney...she was neither assertive or a fighter as Ms Fee an would like us to think...and he was ( poor thing) was going out of his mind to explain his ways but she was just annoying!!! If i was him, I would rather enter a monastery or start looking at others in sheer desperation like screaming on the streets "Christene Feehannnnn. How could you do this to meeeeeee...."

message 50: by Nyla (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nyla DarkMoon I read the series backwards and it was amazing. I think if I would have started it with this book I would have had a harder time. It was hard to get into at first and I struggled a bit. But once you are into the series its much much better. Plus I am not a fan of whiney female characters.

« previous 1