Chaos Reading discussion

Bookshelf Nominations > Bookshelf Nominations: B-MOVIE BOOKS: Tales From the Drive-In

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (last edited Jun 09, 2012 10:10AM) (new)

Meg (megbulloch) | 20 comments JJ wrote: "I've learned from other Chaos Reading discussions that some of our members are, like myself, big fans of b-movies: sleaze, trash, cult, drive-in, and underground cinema. It'd be wonderful to have a..."

Hey, JJ:

You might like these two.

Dove Season

And this magazine --

Blood and Tacos. http://www.bloodandtacos.com/ (I can't find it on the goodreads business thingy). I read the first magazine and it was pretty hilarious. Gary Wolf of Who Censored Roger Rabbit? fame has a story in it. [I initially "add authored" this but it's a TOTALLY different Gary.

message 2: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (last edited Jun 10, 2012 09:31PM) (new)

Ruby  Tombstone Lives! (rubytombstone) | 3260 comments Mod
The one I'm after is "I'm Screaming As Fast As I Can" by Linnea Quigley. I've also been trying to get her workout DVD for ages.

This one's quite good too, but not so much b-movie specific as zombie movie specific.
The Dead Walk
The Dead Walk by Andy Black

I saw John Waters a few months ago and got my copy of this signed, but I have to admit, I haven't read it yet.
Role Models by John Waters
Role Models

Most of my non-fiction is packed up at the moment & I can't remember what the hell is in there anymore.

message 3: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

I was just browsing and came across this too. I don't know if it's any good, but it sounds intriguing: Crimson Orgy by Austin Williams.

Apparently the author is a film scholar and grindhouse film fan, this is his non-fiction debut novel set inside the film industry, about the production of a snuff film, and there is now a film of this book in production. Phew - meta!

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 58 comments WowJJ, that's a helluva list!! I'll definitely have to get my hands on some of those titles. May I also humbly suggest :

Joe Bob Goes To the Drive-In
Kind of dated by now but still funny as hell.

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 58 comments This thread is great, lots of suggestions.
Ruby said I was just browsing and came across this too. I don't know if it's any good, but it sounds intriguing: Crimson Orgy by Austin Williams.
I just ordered it, sounds surreal. I'm looking at some of JJ's suggested titles too, but the import prices are way high, although I think i'll splurge on the VideoHound guide.

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 58 comments Who's that on the cover of Hammer Glamour?

message 7: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

JJ wrote: "That's one of Waters' works I don't have yet Ruby, thanks for the tip. How cool is it that you got to meet him!
I have a friend who actually knows John Waters and I've met him on more than one occasion. The best time was after a screening of the Cockettes movie at the Charles Street Theater in Baltimore. After the movie, a few of us, including John Waters, went to a bar for some beers. We actually had to leave the street and drive through a trailer park to get to the bar. ."

John Waters in a trailer park? I'm very, very, very jealous! The thing about meeting him is....I feel so bad about this, I'm putting it in as a spoiler... (view spoiler) I am a terrible person. Here's me with John Waters.

message 8: by Mr. (new)

Mr. E (mrefans) | 2 comments JJ how about 275+ pages of bmovie/pulp noir?

My ebook "A Pine Box Vacation" is an omage to the b-movie genre from horror, action, social satire and crime fiction. I share your passion and hope you give a look to my ebook. Thank you for your time and keep posting!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...

message 9: by Peter (new)

Peter Fenton (peterfenton) Hi JJ: I'm new to the group, so late to the discussion. Here are a couple of favorites: Keep Watching the Skies! American Science Fiction Movies of the Fifties: Volume II, 1958-1962 is a two volume, 1,200+ page discussion of every American scifi/monster movie made between 1950 and 1962. I actually read every page, though at this point, can't say why.

Another is A Youth in Babylon: Confessions of a Trash-Film King, by David F. Friedman. David started out in the carnival business, went on to producing nudie/cuties and wound up working with Herschel Gordon Lewis on Two Thousand Maniacs, etc.

Peter FentonEyeing the Flash: The Making of a Carnival Con Artist

message 10: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

I'm thinking it might be time to do a bookshelf for this thread, so I've moved it into the NOMS folder. Yay!

message 11: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Nice. When my boyfriend and I were first going out, I found out about his Bettie Page obsession and got him a copy of the one with her doing the dance of the seven veils. (Varietease I think) It was the first time he ever heard Bettie speak, and I very much enjoyed watching him on the edge of his seat to see whether it would ruin her for him or not. It didn't.
Also, the woman who sold me the DVD met Bettie in Paris at age 70 something, with her boyfriend along for the ride. She said it was very strange watching her boyfriend processing the situation - his favourite pin-up, but also a 70year old (very christian and a bit nutty) woman.

Yay to experimenting on boyfriends!

message 12: by Peter (new)

Peter Fenton (peterfenton) JJ wrote: "Peter, I must read the Friedman book. I'm very familiar with his work. I have many of his movies in my collection. I met the man twice at Chiller Theatre conventions a few years ago. A charming gen..."

JJ: You're lucky! Would've loved to meet him. Sorry to hear of his passing. I think I first read about him in Psychotronic Video magazine.

message 13: by Peter (new)

Peter Fenton (peterfenton) JJ wrote: "Peter wrote: "I think I first read about him in Psychotronic Video magazine."

Ah, Psychotronic. One of my early gateways into realms of the odd. It suited my mutating tastes perfectly. I learned a..."

Unfortunately, I gave mine away to a deserving party. At least I don't have to watch them yellow.

message 14: by Ben (last edited Nov 07, 2012 10:09AM) (new)

Ben (bennywisest) | 62 comments Demon Theory- Stephen Graham Jones is a very interesting book. It is a novelization of a horror trilogy complete with references to the horror movie cliches and staples used. I read it several years ago and it was a worthwhile read for fans of the horror movie genre.

Also there is It Came from del Rio- Stephen Graham Jones. I haven't read this but it has "B-Movie" written all over it.

message 15: by Peter (new)

Peter Fenton (peterfenton) The first book reminds me of Silver Scream if no one has mentioned it already.

message 16: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Just came across this great New Yorker article by Colson Whitehead on B-Movies: A PSYCHOTRONIC CHILDHOOD