The Stand The Stand question

Books similar to "The Stand"
Lisa Haydel Lisa Jun 07, 2012 08:15PM
I really liked Stephen Kings, "The Stand" and "Under the Dome," does anybody have any recommendations on books similar to these. Either by Stephen King or any other author.

Swan Song by Robert McCammon.

Brian Wiley I just finished Swan Song. I think It's better than The Stand ...more
Sep 25, 2020 07:07PM · flag

A Jun 16, 2012 11:15AM   3 votes
Try "Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

There are no books like The Stand

You can't go wrong with either Swan Song by McCammon or Earth Abides by Stewart!

I second the recommendendation of The Passage. I finished it last week and thoughts of Stephen King's The Stand (read many years ago) kept popping up. They have many things in common, and not only their lenght. Unfortunately, and unlike King's, Cronin's book is the first of a trilogy and the only one released.

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank. A classic from the late 1950's. Something of an artifact in 2014, but still very readable.

Want a good post-apocalyptic minus the supernatural try EARTH ABIDES by George R. Stewert.

Lynn (last edited Jan 09, 2013 01:57PM ) Jan 09, 2013 01:54PM   0 votes
I'm another person who would recommend Swan Song. I actually think it was even better than The Stand (though I did love that book.) Robert McCammon is a brilliant writer.

Another book, though different from The Stand is Cormac McCarthy's, The Road. It's a post apocalyptic story and very different to most books, in the way it is written. I highly recommend it.

I will continue to recommend one of my favorite EOW novels, and one that was special to me as a former English teacher and former bookseller, A Gift Upon The Shore by M.K. Wren is a classic!

Brian Wiley I just finished Swan Song. I would definitely agree that it's better than The Stand ...more
Sep 25, 2020 07:08PM · flag

On The Beach. Written in 1957 about WWIII and nuclear war.

I'm reading Red Mars. It's part of a trilogy and I can tell you for certain I'll read the rest of it. It's not apocolyptic - more like starting a new world on Mars because Earth is overcrowded and falling apart, but it reminds me of "The Stand" in some ways, like the small group trying to start a new world. I highly suggest it.

lol, I was just going to post about Niven and Pournelles "Lucifer's Hammer". If Hammer hadn't been written, The Stand would be the best EOW story I've ever read. Luckily, Lucifers Hammer was written and is by far, the most complete and realized EOW story of all time.

Try Life as We Knew It and the others in that series by Susan Beth Pfeffer

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21...

thanks all - adding "Lucifer's Hammer" and "Earth Abides" to my to-read pile

The Walking Dead, Compendium 1The Walking Dead, Compendium 2

This is perhaps as close as you can get to a similar danger/threat/adventure/violent action-thriller/end-of-the-word narrative with depth and deep character focus.

Sean (last edited Feb 02, 2017 03:55PM ) Feb 02, 2017 03:54PM   0 votes
How I Live Now
Wool
Station Eleven
World Made by Hand
The Crossing

Two that came right to mind are:
Swan Song and Lucifers Hammer.
The Stand is one of my all time favs by any author and those two stand up well against it. (sorry, no pun intended)

Geodyssy series from Piers Anthony is good too

If you are looking for a really good series about the end of civilization you should read Dies the fire, it is not about disease wiping out civilization but how the power goes out and humanity destroys itself.

Dies the Fire by S M Stirling It is a series of books
One Second After by William R. Forstchen is very good as well

Buck (last edited Dec 10, 2012 05:30AM ) Dec 10, 2012 05:29AM   0 votes
About the same time I read The Stand, I also read Lucifer's Hammer, back in the late 70's, I think. I'm currently reading Earth Abides. both of these are very good end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it novels. On the Beach is on my to-read list. I saw the movie, before The Stand came out, I think.

Day of the Triffids is an excellent book of this ilk. I didn't see it listed in the comments above.

"Lucifer's Hammer", "The Road" and "Swan Song" would be my picks.

Swan Song by Robert McCammon. I am reading it now, and thoroughly enjoying it! Long book like The Stand, but goes by quickly.

This is my first McCammon book, and I find myself really liking his writing style. I read a lot of books and sometimes I like to read horror and disturbing. McCammon's style has me picturing everything with vivid detail, and at times I find myself grimacing or making a face. He is that good!

Down to a Sunless Sea - this would be dated now but it was a fun read back in the 80's - a jet plane flies above the outbreak of world war 3 and limps it's way to safety and an uncertain world

The Chrysalids - this takes a while to warm up but once it gets going it is peerless

I'd recommend "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, or "The Strain" by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.

I read Cell before I read The Stand and enjoyed it a lot more, because I found The Stand to be very similar. Cell is like a much, much shorter version basically.

I second "Swan Song" by Robert McCammon. Really similar plot. I am a King fan, but am really liking the books by Robert McCammon.

"Swan Song" and "The Stand" will be the gold standard for quite some time. I reccomend EE Knight's "The Way of the Wolf" for a look at life trying to come back. Jack London took a stab at the genre and wrote a quick little read called "The Scarlet Plague." Historically I think the first book in the genre was Mary Shelley's "The Last Man," which I will be honest was a challenge to slog through. Many of the lists I've seen reccomend Gordon Dickson's "Wolf and Iron." I actually never finished that one, but I think fans of "Lucifer's Hammer" might get into that one too (couldn't finish that one either).

What Came After- Sam Winston
Wool(Omnibus Edition)- Hugh Howey
Binary Man- Jacob Prytherch
Ready Player One- Ernest Cline

All four books are by relatively young writers who explore territory similar to Stephen King's The Stand.

I never read much of "The Stand", but I intend to soon.

My own books are somewhat related to this, though unintentionally so.
"I Miss Your Purple Hair" - 2009
"Shadows of the Moon" - 2018
both by Robert R. Chandler

Shadows is a distant sequel to IMYPH. Both deal with a post-Apocalyptic vision.

IMYPH is set in present day, depicting worldwide seismic tragedy. Synchronicity is at the heart of the intimate tale of survivors trapped in the San Diego Zoo, when the crisis begins. The central character in IMYPH is a 15 year-old who has unique abilities as a galvanizing leader. Young Swedish teen environmental activist, Greta Thunberg, is a living embodiment of my "Violet" character.

Shadows takes us far into the future, in the throes of Earth's last gasps. It is written as a "future fable", almost prose-like. An easy read, but chock full of underlying spirituality. The story illustrates my theory on how humanity may find a way to continue, despite the demise of our dear home planet.

I have been fortunate to receive very specific and clear visions, in waking moment as well as via dreams. I have kept journals of these events, and every time I receive a vision, it manifests in reality within 24 hours. My broader (more worrisome) premonitions are of a different nature - but I write what I have written because I have had multiple premonitions for several years (a decade actually) about the coming massive geological events that are on the horizon. It is not that I can save any lives through my work, but I feel I was granted these visions and premonitions for a reason - and the only outlet I can generate is sharing through writing.

You can find lists here at goodreads of dystopian and/or post-apocalyptic books. :)

If you dont like this book, your either a fool, or your one of the types who just denies king cause he is well known and "bandwagon". His celebrity status as an author doesnt take from the fact this book is gold. Ive read all your other selections. theyre also gold. But denying kings THE STAND? thats just grade A jealousy and sucess spite. If you want to be taken serious. Give credit where its due

The Book of the Unnamed Midwife

Two of John Brunner's books - The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner and Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner

You could try The Passage by Justin Cronin. It's a huge book, which I understand is the first of a trilogy with the second book due towards the end of the year.

"The Stand" is one of my favorite books, and I really enjoyed Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood for that "end of the world as we know it" flavor.

Checkman (last edited Feb 19, 2014 02:16PM ) Feb 18, 2014 02:44PM   0 votes
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank. A classic from the late 1950's. Something of an artifact in 2014, but still very readable.

Also A Gift Upon the Shore by M.K. Wren.

Oh you might find The Scarlet Plague by Jack London interesting. Originally published in 1913 there are aspects to it that have dated. But it's one of the first PA stories and that alone give it an historical interest. It's more of a novella and can be found for free on the net. The Guttenburg Project has it available.

An older book that raises some interesting "end of the world" questions is Malevil by Robert Merle. Malevil

"Swan Song" by Robert McCammon. Great read. I'm surprised the publishers haven't reprinted it.

Stop Press:- Anyone interested in reviewing one of my novels?

I will gladly reimburse the costs.

9/11: Official Complicity by Michael Rowland and Leap Year by Daniel M Warloch (anagram of Michael Rowland).
Thanks
www.michaelrowland.me.uk

Okay...I see a personal favorite of mine is absent here. While it lacks the battle between Good and Evil, The Last Canadian might very well slide in if you are after humanity dying from an engineered disease while one survivor looks for justice angle.

Troy (last edited Oct 11, 2012 08:44AM ) Oct 11, 2012 08:44AM   0 votes
A couple of options that are quite different stylistically, but similarly about the end of the world:

Gene Wolfe's superb "The Book of the New Sun" series and
Michael Moorcock's romp "The Dancers at the End of Time."

For those who like there post-apocalypse/end-of-the-world stuff to follow a more literary bend, there's nothing comparable to Gene Wolfe's Shadow of the Torturer. Perhaps the best book I've read in the last decade.

Oryx and Crake is a great one. It is an EOW but totally unique in anything I've read before.

I loved Swan Song, and Dark Advent by Brian Hodge was nearly as good. Very similar in concept, as I recall, but it's been many years since I read either book.

It's out of print, but if you can track down Dark Advent I think that's a spectacular, if more more grounded, book on good vs evil in a plague wiped america.

THE PASSAGE and THE TWELVE by Justin Cronin, the first two in a trilogy. Stephen King endorses it, even. It is similar to THE STAND in that it is after post-apocalypse and there is a lot of walking. There is also the element of of good vs. evil.

Or try an be unique by bashing quality cause its common. Admitted, most generally liked things are rubbish.. but The stand?!? Ill slap someone. thats hust hyperbole and i dont find you more interesting for staying "under the radar"

« previous 1