SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Heat Stroke (Weather Warden, #2)
This topic is about Heat Stroke
Archive: 2012 Buddy Reads > July Buddy Read - Heat Stroke by Rachel Caine (Weather Warden #2)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited Jun 09, 2012 03:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Continuing on from our Ill Wind Buddy read in June, we will be reading the 2nd book in the Weather Warden series together. This is open to anyone who would like to participate, read along with us, or join in on the conversation.

This will start on the 22nd of July. Feel free to join at any time!

message 2: by Julianne (new) - added it

Julianne | 354 comments I'll be camping the third week of July so the 4th would work better for me.

message 3: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Camping! Fun! :D

message 4: by Julianne (new) - added it

Julianne | 354 comments I'm looking forward to it. :) It's the only vacation I get.

message 5: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments Cool! Hope you have a great time! Wishing you sunny skies.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments Either week would work for me, so it sounds like the 4th week will be the best one. Happy camping, Julianne!

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Excellent 4th week sounds like the go-er here :) I'll update the first post with the date. That sounds fun Julianne, hope the weather is good for you!

message 8: by Julianne (new) - added it

Julianne | 354 comments Thanks guys. :) I hope the weather holds up too. It usually rains when we go...my husband has the kiss of death...his vacation always raine, his team always loses. lol

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments My husband's kiss of death is jury duty. He has to go quite a lot. I hadn't had jury duty for 12 years and then had to go about a year after we got married. His mother gets called for jury duty frequently too. I do seem have better luck now with winning raffles, contests, etc., but it comes with a price. Jury duty is probably better than rain while vacationing or losing teams though. At least, I have a 2-year grace period before I get called for jury duty again. I have no doubt that I'll be called again when my time's up... : )

message 10: by Julianne (new) - added it

Julianne | 354 comments LOL. That's too funny, I think only one person I know has ever been called for jury duty and she didn't get chosen.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments So I found Heat Stroke (Weather Warden, #2) by Rachel Caine and Chill Factor (Weather Warden, #3) by Rachel Caine at my local used bookstore today, so I'm set for the end of July. I checked and Heat Stroke only has 3 chapters. And I thought 5 chapters was weird. : ) Looks like Chill Factor has 11 chapters though. That's a little better...

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Yay that's great that you can join us! Oh no, 3 chapters? For some reason not having many chapters sort of makes the book feel longer. It could do with some splitting up.

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments Oooh if I get the book from the library in time I might have to join you ladies. My biggest problem with book 1 was that there were only 5 chapters. The book just felt really long. Hopefully reading this one with other people will make the 3 chapters not seem like an eternity.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments Why don't I get notifications on some threads? Grrrr.

Anyway, the 3-chapter thing has me a bit scared, but I'm still excited to see what happens. So much has changed. That's probably the understatement of the year. : )

I don't like really long chapters, but I also don't like a bunch of super short chapters either (i.e., only 5 pages or so). It makes it too choppy. I guess 15 to 20 pages per chapter is my sweet spot. Any preferences?

I think the shorter the chapters are, then the more likely I am to keep reading. "I'll just finish up this chapter. Oh! That was so quick. I'll have time to read one more." Before I know it, it's way past my bedtime. : )

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments I agree with you Jean, I like the medium amount of pages between each chapter. I think the Dan Brown books had really short chapters and it was really frustrating after a while. The chapters kind of give you short goals to achieve while reading "I'll read til the next chapter" lol. It sounds like later on the chapter thing is fixed up with this series though.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments Jeann wrote: "It sounds like later on the chapter thing is fixed up with this series though."

Right. We just have to push through the second book with the scanty three chapters. It'll be easier to get through it since it's a buddy read.

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments I agree with you too Jean. I think if a chapter is too long it feels like it's dragging on and I start to get bored even if the book is really good. I need a little break between chapters and when they are shorter I do the same thing you do. "Just one more before I go to bed. Oh wait, that was short, just one more then I'll go to bed."

Oh and I haven't been getting notifications either for some threads. It's driving me crazy.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments Paris wrote: "Oh and I haven't been getting notifications either for some threads. It's driving me crazy."

I wonder if publishers or authors think about how many pages per chapter is the preferred amount.

I didn't get a notification for this thread again. Grrrr. I try to remember to check on my own, but I can't keep track of all of them...

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Agh it isn't notifying me either, how annoying!

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments You guys ready for this in a few days? :) I'm excited to see what comes of it!

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments I'm really looking forward to this one!

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments I won't be able to jump in on Sunday, but I'll start reading on Monday if that's okay? Have an unexpected 4 hour round trip plus hang time with some people on Sunday. I'd rather be reading of course, but such is life.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments No problem at all Paris, catch up when you're ready!

message 24: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited Jul 22, 2012 03:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Yay this fits into the Bingo Shelf if anyone is interested :D Picking it up tomorrow I think.

so I started it yesterday and it's just so nice and comforting to return to Rachel Caine's writing, there's something that's so easy to read about it!

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments I'm starting this one tonight. I like how there's a "previously" section in the beginning to remind us what happened.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Where are you up to at the moment Jean? I've just reached paged 159 (47%) of the way through and I'm really enjoying it.

The whole Djinn thing is awesome! Like if the first one was all awesome scientific explanations of manipulating the weather, this one just explains a whole different plane of being a Djinn. The way that Rachel Caine writes is in an easily readable format, making the science parts easy to digest.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments I'm at page 144 (43%), so pretty close to you. I like this one a lot better than Ill Wind. Easier to get into.

I also love the Djinn thing. I'm amazed at Ms. Caine's imagination. Her whole world is so different. Sometimes it seems like urban fantasy can be sort of the same thing, but this is totally different. I'm surprised we don't hear more about this series. Very underrated. I really have no idea how it's going to turn out.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments Here's a question for everyone. It's a slight spoiler and happens before page 50. (I think it's even earlier than that.)

(view spoiler)

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments Jean wrote: "Here's a question for everyone. It's a slight spoiler and happens before page 50. (I think it's even earlier than that.)

[spoilers removed]"

I just hit page 64. I'm really enjoying all the Djinn stuff too. Sometimes scientific speak can totally feel like major encyclopedic info dump to me, but so far this is pretty cool.

(view spoiler)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments (view spoiler)

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments Couldn't help myself. Stayed up way past my bedtime to finish this. I liked it way better than Ill Wind. I'll post more tomorrow. Must try to get some sleep now.

message 32: by Paris (last edited Jul 24, 2012 03:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments So surprisingly the whole only three chapters thing wasn't as big of a problem as I initially thought. The story gets going so much that I barely even noticed. Learning more about the Djinn was great. I find them more interesting than the Weather Wardens, although the wardens have their upside.

I am really looking forward to the next book. (I should have mentioned that this spoiler is for the end. Sorry ladies if you read it already.) (view spoiler)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments I'm at about page 239 now and this story is so fast moving! The three chapter thing is weird, but they put breaks in the paragraph and I just treat that as a new chapter.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments Paris is done! Wow! You must have liked it. : )

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments I didn't get that much further last night - only to about page 200.

I was so upset when (view spoiler)

I've been pretending the paragraph breaks are actually chapters too. I think Ms. Caine is using chapters to signify major parts of the story. Other authors usually use "Part I, Part II, Part III."

Minor spoiler for the first 50 pages: (view spoiler)

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments Yeah I just couldn't stop myself. It's not the best book I've ever read, but there is something about it that wouldn't let me put it down. (This spoiler is for what you've both already read) (view spoiler)

Spoiler regarding first 50 pages: (view spoiler)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Ah I just reached Chapter 2 (page 253, 76%) and yes (view spoiler)

message 38: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited Jul 24, 2012 08:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Nearly finished, just up to Page 319 but unfortunately had to cut it short and go back to work (why does real life get in the way of a good story?)

Anyway, this one is definitely faster paced and an easy read, compared to the first one.

(view spoiler)

Major spoiler (view spoiler)

How awesome are the descriptions about the Djinn's power and the outer planes? Surely it'd be a super complicated thing to communicate but Caine just does it so well!

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments Real life always gets in the way. Totally sucks.

Yvette spoiler (view spoiler)

Response to major spoiler (view spoiler)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Are you guys keen on buddy reading the next in the series too? I'm booked up in August unfortunately but can do it afterwards. Or see when it fits in with bingo.

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments I'm definitely down to buddy read the next one with you ladies. Whenever you're free or it fits with Bingo works for me. Just let me know.

message 42: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited Jul 25, 2012 02:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Will do Paris!

Ahhhh just finished it! (view spoiler)

My review is here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments The end spoilers (view spoiler)

I haven't written my review yet. Got that on my list of things to do today.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments I had to stop last night with only 55 pages left. I just couldn't keep my eyes open and had already stayed up way past my bedtime. : ( I won't check any of those spoilers yet just in case. I'll definitely finish it tonight.

I would love to do a buddy read of Chill Factor (Weather Warden, #3) by Rachel Caine . I can do it whenever we can fit it in.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments I finished! Unfortunately, I don't have time to talk about it tonight. I'll be back.

(view spoiler)

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments I was super upset (view spoiler)

At least (view spoiler)

Ms. Caine certainly gave us lots of surprises. (view spoiler)

Jeann's question: (view spoiler)

I'm looking forward to the next book just to see what Ms. Caine comes up with next. I agree with Paris: (view spoiler)

Also, the description of the weather in the first book was a bit dull for me, but it was definitely more interesting in this book.

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments Argh. Never got a notification that you posted again Jean.

So (view spoiler)

I picked up book 3 from the library so I'm good to go whenever you ladies are. Since Goodreads likes to eat my notifications I'll try to check back in here every couple of days or so.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments I've been having the same problems with Goodreads. I try to remember to check certain threads, but I'm sure there are some that I've lost.

I have a buddy read the week of August 13. Other than that, I'm pretty flexible.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Eeek the notification thing is really annoying isn't it?

I can fit it in week of August 27, how does that sound?

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 370 comments August 27 works for me!

« previous 1