Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

Book Group Protocol

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (suzannevreese) | 10 comments I have a question I'm hoping some of you can answer. Tomorrow I'm joining as bookgroup as a guest author. The women have not read the book - they just want me to talk about it and have told me to take 45 minutes. Have any of you participated in a group like this, and do you have any advice on what to talk about? I can't imagine spending 45 minutes talking about a book they haven't read! Thoughts?

message 2: by Nina (new)

Nina | 89 comments Interesting, Suzanne.I have never been asked to do this. You could certainly talk about the process of writing and publishing your book if you don't want to discuss the actual book. Good luck!

message 3: by K.G. (new)

K.G. Cummings (kgcummings) | 143 comments What an opportunity! Just imagine a group of people wanting to know what your book is about, what inspired you to write it, the personal satisfaction you felt with that first copy in your hands and traced your name with your fingertip. Yes, I've spoken in front of several groups where no one had read my book. Be sure to leave time for questions and answers at the end. And SMILE, be approachable and friendly. And remember, they can't lynch you!
kgcummings... Kathy

message 4: by David (new)

David Korinetz | 77 comments Suzanne wrote: "I have a question I'm hoping some of you can answer. Tomorrow I'm joining as bookgroup as a guest author. The women have not read the book - they just want me to talk about it and have told me to t..."

One thing I can suggest is to pick a chapter from you book, preferably short and fast paced, to read towards the end of your time slot. Have a second one ready just incase you need to fill in time. I had to do much the same thing, only with grade 6 and 7 students. The article I wrote about my experience describes what I did. It was all by the seat of my pants and I was really nervous, but I had a blast just the same.

Here is link to my article if you are interested:
http://www.okanaganarts.com/summer08/...

message 5: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (discipleshirley) | 49 comments I have done this and I started on how the book became an inspiration, the writing process, characters...........I even had everyone write a question to one character, put it in a hat and answered them..........If it will give the plot away make the character coy. A female can say "I never kiss and tell" keep your characters in character though. Have fun with it.