Welcome to Anderson, Louisiana discussion

Swamp Houses > Louisa's Home

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by the sound of Autumn (last edited Jun 14, 2012 01:05PM) (new)

the sound of Autumn

The whole house creaks as you walk through it. For the most part, Lou and her father keep it pretty clean.

Lou's room is a dark blue color, with a faded floor covered in worn shaggy carpet. There's a mattress that lies in the corner of the room by a lamp. On the mattress is a towel to sleep on, a single white pillow, and a dark brown throw blanket. In another corner is a small stool with a chair pad in front of it, and a small cardboard box filled with pens, pencils, and papers tossed in it messily. By a small woven trash basket is an old wooden wardrobe. A picture is taped to one of the walls, low to the ground: (view spoiler)

the sound of Autumn Lou scowled at everything, eyeing a tree she felt like she wanted to punch, but wouldn't. She had faint scars on her knuckles from doing that before. She sat by the bank, staring at the reflection. The girl staring back at her was quite obviously upset, her dirty loose jacket, messy hair, lack of make up and gash on her head giving her a tough look. Back to zero. she thought again, shaking her head and throwing a stone, ruining the reflection and causing the girl to disappear.

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) Josh ran after Lou, finding her sitting by the river bank. "Lou, you okay?" He asked, sitting down beside her. She didn't look okay, she looked like she was about to kill someone, but he still asked it anyway.

the sound of Autumn Lou jumped, her head swiveling to look at Josh. "Y-you followed me?" she asked in shock, wondering if she was just seeing things. She blinked heavily, but Josh didn't disappear before her eyes, and his reflection was sitting next to hers now as well.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) "Yeah, I am here." He said, waving at her. "You were kinda wobbling when you ran off, so..." It was true. She looked aweful. He didn't know what to say. "I"m guessing you don't really like that August guy."

the sound of Autumn Lou shook her head. "No, I really don't." she said, staring off at the water. It was getting a bit dark. "We were uh, we used to be in a band together. Me on strings, him on drums, both of us doing vocals. But it just... didn't work out."

message 7: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) "I see." Josh said simply. "And I"m also guessing you didn't like seeing him with my sister." Based off of the death glare she'd given them both, he was betting he wasn't to far off.

message 8: by the sound of Autumn (last edited Jun 13, 2012 07:36PM) (new)

the sound of Autumn Lou bit her lip for a moment before replying. "No," she said, still looking off, "it didn't surprise me at all."

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) "Really?" Josh said, surprised. Then he stopped himself, and changed his tone. "If you don't mind me asking, why?"

message 10: by the sound of Autumn (last edited Jun 13, 2012 07:48PM) (new)

the sound of Autumn "You don't know August, he can get any gal he wants, and it's just about impossible to say no to him." she answered, her face growing upset again as she remembered the day where he'd kissed her, and they promised to forget it. They'd promised, and now he was using it against her? She never wanted it in the first place, but it's not like she put up a huge fight about it... at the time. All she wanted to do was forget it, she never wanted anyone else to know, she wanted to forget August. "Anyways, thanks for coming to check on me, I thought he'd made the two of you hate me all over again."

message 11: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) Josh glanced out at the water, not saying anything for a couple minutes. Whatever August had done to her, it wasn't pleasant. "I'm sure whatever happened, it wasn't your fault." He said, looking back to her. "He does seem like that kind of guy. A player, makes promises, then breaks them." Josh knew how to spot those guys. They were the ones that went after Kia.

the sound of Autumn "Whatever, I'm done with him." she grumbled, "And I'm totally throwing those guitar picks into the swamp." Her gaze then shifted to Josh's reflection, and she sighed, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. "What do you see in me?"

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) Josh nodded his approval. "That sounds like a good idea." He turned and looked at her, completely taken by surprise. "Wh...what do you mean?" He asked, confused.

the sound of Autumn She looked him in the eye. "I mean, you don't seem to want to run away every time I turn my back. You don't just let me go, even when I'm being... Anyways, I'm jut asking, why?" she blinked, her voice completely sincere. "What do you see in me?"

message 15: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) Josh shrugged with one shoulder. "Honestly, I think its just a good break from Kia. I've always had a hard time making friends, and Kia, love her to death, but she can get annoying. And you...stand on your own, you don't take anything from anyone, and your different."

the sound of Autumn Louisa smiled a little and looked down at her boot laden feet, not really knowing what to say. "You'd be the only one." she admitted, lightly kicking loose a chunk of mud and watching it tumble into the water.

message 17: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) Josh shrugged again, and picked up a piece of grass, twirling it between his fingers. "I don't mind." He said, moving the grass back and forth between his fingers, twisting it into a small, rope-like shape, then pulled it apart.

the sound of Autumn Louisa sat for a moment, soaking up the silence. People ever rarely came near her home, she considered it her sanctuary. Then she laid down on her back, staring uo through the trees' dangling leaves and branches, up to the clear night sky. So many stars were already coming out. "You ever see this many?" Lou asked, a small blade of grass tickling her hand.

message 19: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) "Stars?" Josh asked, looking up. "Yeah, without light pollution from cities, there are millions you can see in the forests up north." He remembered all the different constelations his dad once pointed out to him, and he tried to pick out a few through the trees. Everything was in a different spot now, because they were closer to the equator than they used to be. But Josh could still find Polaris, and Orion's belt, and a few others.

the sound of Autumn Lou turned on her side and laid her head on her arm, facing Josh. She wondered if he would notice her silently looking at him. Her gaze traveled over his body and features, as though she were trying to memorize him, fully get herself used to him.

message 21: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) Josh stared up at the stars, learning their new positons at this latitude. They were all farther away from Polaris, or at least they looked like it, and Polaris wasn't directly in the middle of the sky. But everything was in its relative places. Then there were other constellations that Josh had never seen before. He guessed they were the ones that could be seen closer to the equator, and started memorizing their positions.

the sound of Autumn Louisa propped her head up on her hand, turning her chin so she could look at the stars. "You know 'em all?" she asked Josh, her eyes flickering back over to him with a small smile.

message 23: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) "Well, most of them." He replied, and pointed to the south of them. "I've never seen those ones before. I guess we're just closer south, so they appear. And I've never seen the Big Dipper there." He said, pointing at it. With a shrug, he dropped his hand. "I guess its just where you are in the world."

the sound of Autumn Lou nodded, tapping her fingers along to the music that was playing lightly in her head. Goosebumps lined her arms from the chilly night air as she watched the silvery moonlight dance across the still water.

message 25: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) Josh glanced over at Lou, and a small smile spread across his face. "What are you listening to?" He joked, seeing her fingers tap. A gentle breeze came in from across the water, and Josh rubbed his arms, warming himself up.

the sound of Autumn "Oh, it's nothing." Lou said with a faint grin as she looked down. "Music just kind of plays in my head when things get quiet." She didn't really want to admit which song was playing in her head now, because it was slow and had a lot of feeling in it. But, she guessed if there was anyone in the world she'd tell it to, it'd be Josh.

message 27: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) Josh nodded in understanding. "I see." He said, turning his eyes back to the stars. Something about them was just captivating, the fact that they were so far away, but yet they were positioned in such a way that they made constellations. It was mindblowing, and Josh completely understood and shared his dad's love of them.

the sound of Autumn A gentle breeze made the long grass brush against her skin, giving her another round of goosebumps. "Here, you look cold." Louisa said, tossing Josh her jacket. She leaned back with the back of her head cushioned by her hands, and she crossed her legs.

(( Haha, the girl is giving the guy the jacket XD ))

message 29: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) ((Haha, I was waiting for that to happen...Lol XD))

"I'll be fine." He said, putting the jacket on the ground instead. The breeze felt good, and it was finally comfortable after the dead heat all day. It actually started to feel like home, for a few minutes.

message 30: by the sound of Autumn (last edited Jun 14, 2012 01:20PM) (new)

the sound of Autumn Louisa grabbed back her jacket, balling it up and putting it under her head. "Fine then, I'll just use it." she said, closing her eyes and humming to the tune in her mind. Maybe Josh would recognize it, maybe he wouldn't. She hummed lightly to, "Maybe I've been here before, I know this room, I've walked this floor. I used to live alone before I knew you..."

message 31: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) Josh vaguely recognized the song, and closed his eyes, listening to her hum. She had a nice voice, even if she didn't realize it. To himself, Josh wondered what it was like to hear her sing.

the sound of Autumn Lou blinked at Josh, scanning his reaction. "You know the song?" she asked, her fingers pausing from where they danced on a pile of grass and dirt.

message 33: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) "I recognize it." He said with a shrug. "But I don't remember the title or singer." He picked up a piece of grass and started ripping it up, just for something to do with his hands.

the sound of Autumn "Hallelujah, my favorite cover is by Rufus Wainwright." Lou replied, smiling a little. "It's uh, it's kind of my favorite." She paused, quietly singing a small part of it like a sample. "There was a time when you let me know what's really going on below. But now you never show that to me, do you?"

(( This is kind of what I imagine her singing like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=... Dude, I love Christina Grimmie so much, and the way she sang this song absolutely blew my mind. ))

message 35: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) ((I love Christina Grimmie! Oh, and I have to go for about an hour, but I'll be back))

Josh listened. Her voice was beautiful, and the song was powerful, making for an amazing song. He let it wash over him, absorbing it all as he looked out over the lake, watching the twinkling stars reflect off the water.

the sound of Autumn (( Isn't her voice amazing? And alright, I'l talk to ya later! ))

Lou looked over and saw Josh, immediately thinking that it was a negative reaction. "You don't like it, do you?" she asked, biting her lip. This is what she feared most, her singing was the thing she was most sensitive about.

message 37: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) "What? No! Its beautiful." Josh said hurridly, looking over at her. "Your an amazing singer." He assured her, turning to face her.

the sound of Autumn "Thanks." she mumbled, smiling a little again. Relief washed over her body, causing her to relax again. She never really let anybody hear her sing because it was one of the few things she really cared about, an feared it gave too much away about her. It felt good for somebody to hear though. "I thought about maybe using it to get outta here, but I don't know..."

message 39: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) "I think you should try it." Josh said. "You never know, someone might want to give you a deal." He could tell this was important to her, but she was good, and maybe someone out there wanted something like her sound.

message 40: by the sound of Autumn (last edited Jun 14, 2012 05:40PM) (new)

the sound of Autumn "Oh no, I've had a bunch of people come up to me offering deals. Every one of them was a creepster, didn't believe them for s***." she replied, but her grin had grown wider. "Anyways, you uh, wanna come inside or anything? I don't know if my dad's home or not, he may be out with a few buddies of his." Usually she didn't offer people to come into her house, but she felt kind of weird not giving Josh the option.

message 41: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) "I'd love to," Josh said, but glanced up at the sky. "But its getting late, and I don't think my mom would be extremely happy if I stay out to late." He stood up, brushing off his pants. "Sorry."

the sound of Autumn "Nah, it's fine." Louisa replied, shrugging her shoulders. She stood up as well, bringing her jacket with her. "Um, are you sure you'll know your way out of the swamps?"

message 43: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) "I think I can." Josh said, looking down the road. "It doesn't seem that complicated now." He was pretty sure he could get back home. There were only a couple roads and turns.

the sound of Autumn "Good," she said. "Alright, I'll see ya later." She gave a final crooked grin and salute-like wave before turning around to walk to her house.

message 45: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (imweirdgetusedtoit) He waved back and started walking back towards his house. It was dark, but the star and moon's light helped him see the right turns. In a few minutes, he was back on the road, and he started home.