The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > What Art/Subject is Your Calendar This Year?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Okay, I LOVE calendars!!! I think they are inexpensive ways to enjoy some beautiful artwork (paintings, photographs, etc), or just have something to smile about each time we check out our busy schedules. And I love to get new ideas for what to get the upcoming year. So, what calendars do you have for 2009???

I have (at home or work):
A big Charles Wysocki cat calendar

A "Flowers of Friendship" mini calendar, precious artwork of little ladies amongst the flowers, by Silke Leffler

A Hello Kitty engagement calendar

A mini-calendar of photo kitties (admittedly, I got this as a gift so I *only* bought three calendars for myself!)

And for my husband (though I laugh, too) a day-by-day calendar of country sayings, "Butter My Butt and Call Me a Biscuit, Look Who's Here" :-p

message 2: by Jaime Lynn (new)

Jaime Lynn (jmelynnou) Mine is a Billy Graham calendar.....has beautiful landscape scenes and quotes from the Bible and/or Billy Graham.

message 3: by GraceAnne (new)

GraceAnne Tremain | 31 comments Home: This year I bought a calendar with Black/White photos of Chicago. Last year, I had a calendar with beautiful photographs of snowflakes.

Office: My boss always gives me a "Dog-a-Day" calendar for Christmas.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

My husband buys me a day planner every year for Christmas. I'm not sure why that started, but I always look forward to what he picks out for me. Usually it's not something I would pick for myself and in a way that makes it more interesting. This year he bought one with a circus theme--mostly vintage posters and pictures of performers in turn of the century costumes. It's a departure from my artist themed ones.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 07, 2009 12:51PM) (new)

I have a pretty plain day planner. It's an indie-sort-of one, designed to appeal to students, with many quotes of intellectuals and some artsy photos of European major cities and stuff.
(Admittedly, their design works... Almost every student in Germany has either one of those day planners or a Moleskine one. And the planner is pretty cool and nicely designed. Especially the photos are great)

message 6: by Leshawn (new)

Leshawn | 20 comments I have the Haruki Murakami 2009 Day Planner. It is worth every cent!

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 283 comments So far our only calendar is the calendar the city sends out telling us when our regular garbage pick up and recycling weeks are. (Pittsburgh has recycle pick up every other week, and has one of the countries best recycling programs -- all plastics and paper, as well as metal and glass, picked up curb side at no cost.) Years ago I started waiting until the middle January and buying a calendar on sale at Barnes and Noble. This year, though, I was thinking of making one.

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan | 118 comments My former college roommate and friend scrapbooked a calendar of photos of us through the years. It's the most creative calendar I have ever had. Previously I have places I have travelled to, cats, or Jackie Kennedy. My favorites pictures have been ripped out and laminated to keep forever--possible classroom decorations.

message 9: by Angie (last edited Jan 07, 2009 04:36PM) (new)

Angie | 512 comments I am a huge Erte fan, so I make a point every year to pick up this calendar and pay full price (plus every month even has glitter on it). Also this year I got a cute Disney day to day calendar.

description

message 10: by Synova (new)

Synova | 20 comments I have two wall calendars, one is called "reading ladies" and it's classic paints which feature women reading, and the other is a twilight calendar which has character pics every month. :)

message 11: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Okay, this year nothing special. However, last year my husband bought a bunch of football-shaped snausages for our dog, so that I could get a Steelers with their dogs calendar. Sigh...that was awesome!

message 12: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
So every year I have to get replacements for my Kate Spade pocket planner. One of the reasons I bought her planner the first year it came out was because the planner pages were so cute, every week or so having a little drawing on it. I just loved the style. But then she went cheap, changing printers and apparently artists. Now I begrudgingly pay for her planner pages because I still love the planner itself, but HATE the pages. (By the way, her bags are no longer made in Italy either, but China now. Bru-ther.)

I have this space in my room where only a certain size/type of calendar works. For the last four or five years I've gotten a Cavallini & Co. calendar with cool vintage posters - like old Italian film posters, or US travel poster, or Italian travel posters, etc. But last year I went crazy trying to find one I liked. And they aren't really all that inexpensive. So this year when I was actually at a shop (as opposed to online) looking for a Christmas gift, I found the AWESOME calendar of vintage posters of the US National Parks that is the exact same style/size as the others. It's so fabulous! AND, it was quite a bit cheaper than the others. I'm psyched!

message 13: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) | 36 comments Naked Clown calendar! It's really my roommates but I think I'm going to steal it. Totally one of the most amusing things I've seen in a long while. He got it cos his old girlfriend is in it, haha.

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I have a wall calendar with pictures from Italy. And a day calendar of insight from the Dalai Lama. I really wanted a crossword day calendar, but I couldn't find one.

message 15: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Buying a calendar after Christmas is my favorite holiday tradition. This year, I guess the theme is "vintage cityscape postcards." Anyway, it's vintage postcard photos of skyscrapers in big U.S. cities--very art deco. I love it!

I love the reading ladies (where'd you find it?) and Twilight. I have had many art ones in the past, but I seem to have gotten into the vintage posters lately (like Michele!).

message 16: by Kathryn (last edited Jan 08, 2009 08:06AM) (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Oooh, Alison--who makes your vintage cityscapes postcard calendar? That sounds like one I will have to check out!

Michele, I love vintage travel poster calendars! I almost got one for this year of Hawaii (where we honeymooned last year) but I thought it would make me miss it tooooo much! Maybe next year! ;-)

Angie, that Erte painting is gorgeous! I absolutely love art from that style/era. I'm checking out his website right now!!!

message 17: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

I will have to get back to you Kathryn. I purchased it at Borders (the actual store, not online). I just tried to find it online--but couldn't. But I found lots of others--including the Old Hollywood in Vintage postcards like Michele mentioned. Didn't know they made those!

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren On my desk is my "Shoe a day" calendar. My wall calendar at home is Dilbert and the page a day at home is a "Big words" calendar.

message 19: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristilarson) I have an Anne Taintor calendar. Retro pictures with 'sassy, misbehaving ladies.' Hilarious!

message 20: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hmatkins) I love calendars as well. Every year I get my mom a dog calendar that has just dachshund puppies on it (she has a dachshund named Buddy). This year she bought me a puppy calendar. then for my day planner I bought a New York themed with the most beautiful pictures of New York. And I bought a really awesome calendar at Barnes and Noble that has pictures of cities all around the word.... a current picture with a picture of the city from the past (black and white) underneath it. I loved it so I splurged and bought it for myself. :) I"m a bit of a calendar nut.

message 21: by Synova (new)

Synova | 20 comments Alison,

It's actually "The Reading Woman" (I took it down to check the title), and it was a gift from a friend, but it's made by Pomegranate. This month is La liseuse by Georges Croegaert.

message 22: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 283 comments Robbie wrote: "Okay, this year nothing special. However, last year my husband bought a bunch of football-shaped snausages for our dog, so that I could get a Steelers with their dogs calendar. Sigh...that was aw..."
Robbie - wow, Steelers with their dogs! Since I'm dogless right now, how many snausages would I have to eat ...

message 23: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Thanks, Synova.

message 24: by Sarah Mae (new)

Sarah Mae (sarahmae) My parents made desk calendars at vistaprint.com of our trip to Paris, that's what I have at work. I haven't bought a wall calendar for home yet.

message 25: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Jan 11, 2009 01:09AM) (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Kathryn, if you like the vintage poster ones, check out Cavallini & Co. I love the old art deco-type posters. They aren't always that, but I just love them. Especially destination ones. So yeah, the old travel posters are so beautiful that that's what I usually try for.

Sadly they haven't made the old movie posters one since that first year. I LOVED that one so much, I kept it!

But, like I said size and layout style are really important so that limits me.

message 26: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Thank you, Michele! I will enjoy checking out Cavallini & Co! :-)

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 16 comments My hubby and I always get the Jeopardy page-a-day calendar for home. We keep a running total throughout the year - if only we really won all that money! My calendar at work isn't really my choice - we have several fish tanks at home and received a couple calendars with orders in late 2008, plus the fish magazine he subscribes to sent us a free one also. So, I have a calendar of tropical fish, with advertisements for fish tank supplies. Exciting, huh?!

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 100 comments Oh I love The Reading Woman posters!!
I have a Pearls Before Swine Daily Calender. I love Stephen Pastis! My husband and I get one every year.

message 29: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 199 comments Now I have a calendar with pictures from Holy Land. I won it in end of October on 12th Cracow Book Fair.

message 30: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 5 comments For Christmas, someone gave me a Calendar with 12 of Salvador Dali's best paintings. He's my favorite artist! It's a pretty awesome calendar, if I do say so myself. Snaps for the Pearls before Swine Calendar, Jessica! Stephan Pastis is pretty hilarious.

message 31: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments Fun post Kathryn!
I've got a Harry Potter HBP calendar (the larger of the two) and an HP desk weekly calendar (can't get the day-by-day one this year because of the movie move I think... sniff... but, I've got the other two, so I'm good;>)
Also, I've got for the second year now a Cat Naps calendar - SO cute!!! It's all pictures of sleeping kittens - how could I resist!
I also have a calendar from the San Diego Zoo/Park that comes with my subscription but I'm not sure where I put it... sigh... Well, with three other calendars I don't think I'll loose track of time;)