Tudor History Lovers discussion

Tudor Book Recomendations > Books on Tudor etiquette---suggestions?!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lana (new)

Lana  (LanaBells) | 47 comments Hello all, I am looking for books on Tudor era etiquette including (but certainly not limited to!) the following topics: table manners (for various socioeconomic levels), courting rituals (i.e. pre-martial relations were okay as long as the couple had a pre-contract?!) etc...any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

message 2: by Lana (new)

Lana  (LanaBells) | 47 comments Oops! I meant "premarital" (。-_-。)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments There may be something useful in Liza Picard's Elizabeth's London: Everyday Life in Elizabethan London.

message 4: by Lana (new)

Lana  (LanaBells) | 47 comments Thank you, Susanna, for the suggestion. I will look for the book. (*^_^*)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments The Weaker Vessel makes fascinating reading, but it's for a century later than the Tudors.

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 9 comments There is also The Book of the Courtier, which was written during the period, and while it is centered around Italy, it was a very popular book in England as well. Everything that you wanted to know about good manners.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Family, Sex and Marriage in England 1500-1800 could also be useful, come to think of it.

message 8: by Lana (new)

Lana  (LanaBells) | 47 comments Thank you all for the posts!

message 9: by Karen (last edited Jun 17, 2012 08:11AM) (new)

Karen (2noelle) | 37 comments Lana wrote: "Hello all, I am looking for books on Tudor era etiquette includ(but certainly not limited to!) the following topics: table manners (for various socioeconomic levels), courting rituals (i.e. pre..."

Try author Alison Sim's books, she has a couple that deal specifically with Tudor mannerisms and feasts.

message 10: by Lana (new)

Lana  (LanaBells) | 47 comments Thank you, Karen!

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen (2noelle) | 37 comments Lana wrote: "Thank you, Karen!"

Lana,sorry about the typo in Alison's name,it should be Sim. Here's one of the books she's written http://www.amazon.com/Food-Feast-Tudo.... I have personally read this one and it's very informative

message 12: by Lana (new)

Lana  (LanaBells) | 47 comments Thank you! This information is really useful! Many thanks! (*^_^*)