Lord of The Rings discussion

Welcome

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mitchell (new)

Mitchell (mbjorgensen) | 4 comments This is a place to introduce yourself to the group. Please introduce yourself and explain some of your interests in the group ie: why you joined, what you are hoping to get out of the group and anything else that comes to mind.

message 2: by Mitchell (new)

Mitchell (mbjorgensen) | 4 comments I am Mitchell (sometimes Jorgie) I am a Educational Professional Development Trainer. I teach teachers/librarians and other educators how to use technology in their classrooms. I first read The Hobbit: Or There and Back Again and then The Lord of the Rings in 4th grade. My Dad was amazed and a little disgruntled he had read them when he was teaching 8th grade and said they were pretty complex. I have reread the series every couple of years, but it wasn't until after college and I, myself was teaching that I was able to finish The Silmarillion. I joined because the stories in the books have become such a huge part of my own personal story that I just wanted to interact with some other fans. I am not an immersed fan. I don't speak, or read any Middle-Earth Languages. I have only dressed up twice as a Middle-Earth character both times were for Halloween. Haven't been to any conventions, or the like. Just a huge fan of the books and their literary value. After all Tolkien is the Father of modern Epic Fantasy Novels.

message 3: by Pandy (new)

Pandy | 2 comments Hi everyone! I joined this group to read some others' thoughts on Tolkien's wonderful books.

My dad started reading The Lord of the Rings to me when I was in 2nd grade. By the time he reached the end of Book 1 of The Fellowship of the Rings, I could no longer wait for every night to hear the next part of the story, so I read The rest of The Fellowship, The Two Towers and The Return of the King myself, though he did continue to read to me to explain anything I might not understand. I read The Hobbit soon after I finished The Lord of The Rings. Since then, I've only read The Hobbit three times, but I've been reading The Lord of the Rings two to three times a year. I read The Silmarillion when I was 8, but what I got out of it wasn't much, since I found it hard to understand. I definitely need to re-read it along with all the other books edited by Christopher Tolkien that I have not yet read. I'm not an immersed fan either Mitchell, having not done any of the things you listed.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello, I'm hannah. I joined this group, because out of the many clubs and what not for LOTR, this one was the best. I joined because I've always been amazed at the way Tolkien created the world of Middle Earth and the languages and people. I've always respected and liked the series and I think they did a good job on the movies too. I can't remember when I first read the series, but I've only read the trilogy and The Hobbit.

message 5: by Mitchell (new)

Mitchell (mbjorgensen) | 4 comments Welcome Hannah, It's good to have you with us!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you...

message 7: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 2 comments I'm Lindsay! I've LOVED Lord of the Rings ever since I was, what? Five, I think. I went to the movie theater with my brother to see the third movie when I was only seven. When the teacher asked everyone what their favorite movie/TV show was. Everyone said Sponge Bob, except me; I said Lord of the Rings. I watched the movies first, and they're still my favorite today (completely amazing!!) and will read the trilogy someeday...

message 8: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 2 comments I'm Lindsay, with an "a" Lol

message 9: by David (last edited Mar 13, 2009 10:28AM) (new)

David Leaser (dleaser) | 1 comments Hello All,

David here. I am an Air Traffic Controller in Kalispell, Montana and an avid reader. I first read the Hobbit sometime about 1970 and since that time have read the Lord of the Rings at least a dozen times over the years. I watch the movies, great interpretation, couple times a year and just can't get enough of Middle Earth. I just wanted to join a group with people who still believe in a better life, real heroes and appreciation of great literary fiction.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome everyone. I agree with both of you.

message 11: by Tom (last edited Mar 13, 2009 10:28AM) (new)

Tom Harrington Hi, I'm Tom, and I've loved "The Lord of the Rings" for more years than I care to remember. I read "The Hobbit" and LOTR every couple of years. I remember when I was younger that I really wanted to be a Hobbit. I think I'm still that way to a large degree. Tolkien's works are my favorite pieces of fiction. I've never read any better. The movies were great, too.

message 12: by Maya (new)

Maya | 7 comments Hannah wrote: "Hello, I'm hannah. I joined this group, because out of the many clubs and what not for LOTR, this one was the best. I joined because I've always been amazed at the way Tolkien created the world o..
Welcome to our world,...:) I totally agree, one would think with all the characters that Tolkien created it would be confusing but its not, they all work together and some of it reflects on what's happing in the world in this day & age.

message 13: by Troy (new)

Troy (deadlifter) | 1 comments Hello all,

My name is Troy and Im happy to be here. I joined this group for the same reason as many. I love the LOTR!

Im 32 and just starting to get into reading. (shamed) Anyway, I've seen the movies first, but the found books are so much better. Of course the movie did help with some of the visualizing of how grand the settings are.

I've read The Hobbit, LOTR, and the Silmarillion which if just finished, in that order. My next on the list are Children Of Huron and The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.

Take care!

message 14: by Janna (new)

Janna Hey Ho!
I'm Janna and I joined this group because I love the Lord of the Rings... duh.
I read the books before I watched the movies which means I was 9. Back then I didn't like them as much, too complicated, but when I reread them I started liking them even better than the movies.
I hope we'll have some interesting discussions here.

Take care :)

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookosaurus_rex) Hey I'm Amy. I love LOTR. I love Tolkien- always will, always have. My first intro to him was The Hobbit. Hands down this is my favorite book or at least on my top ten. :) I love Tolkien's culture and world that he created and at times his books got me through some rough stuff b/c they are full of hope.
-Amy

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris | 21 comments Aiya. I'm Christina
I am an egith grade student in NY
Four years ago When I was Eghit I read the Hobbit I didn't understand it at that age now I am 12 I have re read the hobbit and love it though I like the LOTR triligy much bettter I have also read a few of Tolkien's other works and have watched the three movies I am excited for the movie of the Hobbit that is comeing out in 2012

message 17: by coeli (new)

coeli (goodreadscomboogaloo) hi i m coeli
i luuuv LOTR!!!!!!
i m going into 7th grd
there's a movie of the hobbit coming out?
i m excited!

message 18: by Sarah Morris (new)

Sarah Morris (sarahcm13) Hi, I'm Sarah

i am going into 7th grade and i can't wait for the hobbit movie!!

message 19: by Belladonna (~Miriam Daisy Rose~) (last edited Jul 28, 2009 07:23AM) (new)

Belladonna (~Miriam Daisy Rose~) (miriamdaisyrose) | 6 comments i don't know, but some of you guy's might be interested in this:

come, join middle earth , partisipate in and create engaging disscussions, talk with people who are just as crazy about Lord Of The Rings as you are, and live in our amazing lord of the rings adventure role play!
join us at:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Belladonna (~Miriam Daisy Rose~) (miriamdaisyrose) | 6 comments my family is craxy about the lord of the rings. everyone has there own character, and that's what we call each other by. everyone who's visited our house comes out with there character.
cool story:
but first: stoy side note:
whenever i do something, it seems many, MANY people from my small school follow. it's a small community, everyone knows everyone, so these things spred like wild fire.

back to story:
i created a wordpress.com blog, so, within a week to a month, many, MANY kids had done so to, and it became the big thing, and, everyone used there lord of the rings names, and i use my lord of the ring name for nearly everything on the internet, varring from: gimli11 to gimlimac.

story endnote:
my sister joined goodreads, and a couple months later, i followed, but i was followed by a crowd of good sheperd montissori schoolers. the principle, (or head of school) was already on, were're friends, same for a friend's dad, then a herd of other good shepperd people, kids and parents, who are also now my friends.

message 21: by raiN (new)

raiN (iamRain) | 1 comments Hi, my name's Rain! I'm 17. And I love LOTR so much!!! I can't even begin to describe how amazed I am of Mr. Tolkien's creation! Some of my friends even got annoyed at me before because I just can't stop talking about it when the movies came out. And when I look back at those infatuated moments, I think I really was annoying. lol

Anyway, It's great to know people still appreciate it as much as I do(Maybe even more).^_^

message 23: by Summer (last edited Sep 06, 2009 11:36PM) (new)

Summer | 1 comments I'd love to know other people who are nerds like myself. Plus I love debating things with other people and formutating thought about ideas, theories and such. Pluss J.R.R. Tolkien is the embodiment of fantasy awesomeness. Yes I did just write that statement for the public. Anyway. Love LOTR and everything about it. Btw Sarah, the Hobbit should be an amazing movie. Love Peter Jackson!

message 24: by Bill (new)

Bill Tucker (damndirtyapes) Salvete!

I joined the group just a few days ago, but am just now getting around to introducing myself. I've acquired the habit of reading the LotR at least once a year for the last three decades (give or take), but consider myself far from an expert.

Since Tolkien himself claimed to dislike allegory, it's up to the reader to attach special significance to plot, structure, narrative, symbolism, etc., so that each reading of the text becomes an entirely unique and compelling entity in and of itself.

I eagerly await learning what my fellow lovers of Middle Earth have to share about their own experiences there.

message 25: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 56 comments Um. Yeah. Hi. My real name won't be revealed on the internet for security reasons and my mom kicking me off but I read Lord of the Rigs all the way through this summer.

message 26: by Contrary (new)

Contrary (that-contrarian-librarian) My name is Lorian
(I’m no valedictorian).
I read and climb trees
More authors, please!
I know a quantization
Of useless erudition
To Tolkien pertaining
In my head remaining
His book’s geographics
The Fellowship’s traffics
Turin and Luthien’s too
I hope I don’t tire you?
So why not debate it?
So nice to relate it.

Hello! My name is actually inspired by Tolkien's various created languages. I like writing, being outside constantly, opening the car window on the highway (even in winter), and curling up to read in odd places.

Favorite Authors: Gail Carson Levine, Shannon Hale, Robin Mckinley, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Patricia C. Wrede, Clare B. Dunkle, and a ton of others that I can't think of at the moment. My really weird hobbies include but are not limited to; tree-climbing, editing/spellchecking EVERYTHING, and quilling (if you don't know what that is, Google it. That's what Google is for. It doesn't have anything to do with porcupines). I refuse to tree-climb with ropes and hope to one day be the world's leading climber at Tree Climbers International. No one ever looks up, by the way. That's why tree-climbing is so uncommon a sport.

I'm learning Sindarin (SLOWLY!) and have read (not in order) Children of Hurin, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, The Lord of the Rinds, parts of The Book of Lost Tales 1 and 2, The Tolkien Reader, Roverandom, and bits and pieces of some of his other works. I am very much so obsessed with Tolkien's lengendarium and writings. My favorite poem of his is probably The Last Ship.

His elves are the ONLY real ones. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! ;D

I love talking about Tolkien and his writings (although I'm much more knowledgeable about the latter) and learning odd facts that I don't already know, or that my best friend hasn't told me (she knows absolutely everything Tolkien). So, nice to be here. Thanks for making this a public group! ;)

P.S. the introductory poem was composed in under two minutes, so yes, it is badly written.

message 29: by Amy (last edited Dec 19, 2009 03:11PM) (new)

Amy Hey, I'm Amy, and it's been one minute since my last Tolkien reading binge. :D

I'm a Tolkien fanatic and a geek in the making. I've read the LotR trilogy, the Hobbit, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and I'm working on The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth right now.

If I could exist on any other plane of existence/alternate reality, I would exist in Middle-Earth. I shall most likely be studying Tolkien until my dying days, so I'm looking for some fellow geeks to spend the time with. :D

message 31: by Marlon (new)

Marlon | 3 comments Hi, I'm Marlon, I was a little afraid of writing here 'cause I`m not a native speaker, but as everyone here I'm a Tolkien's fan. I also read LoTR, the hobbit, silmarillion, unfinished tales, some biographies, etc.
Once I found a tape record about a BBC radio series of the Hobbit and some records about LoTR this one with Tolkien as narrator.
I recomend to all of you to listen these.

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris | 21 comments I have listen to the radio show lord of the rings and I didn't like it but each to his or her own I preffer the unabridged audio books. Any way HI

message 33: by Stephen light (new)

Stephen light Hello i am a big big big LOTR fan. Tolkien is my hero and inspiration for my writings! I lhave read all of the books mentioned so far except a few (Jusst a tad to lazy to list all o em). I agree with Amy that i would live in Middle earth, but i think i would choose to live either on the Numenorian island or the older Osgiliath (when it wasn ew and beautiful, Probably on the river too). I am so bloody excited becoase in february I am going to london and i am going to see J.R.R. Tolkiens grave!!! i wish I could have talked to him for even just an hour. I would give anything to just get tips or have a friendly conversation! He was awsome!

message 34: by Christina (last edited Jan 17, 2010 02:39PM) (new)

Christina | 16 comments I have not read the series yet, but have seen the movies, and just received The Hobbit: Or There and Back Againas a Christmas gift. I'm looking forward to reading this series! I also read Finding God in the Lord of the Rings which was immensely interesting, and I encourage any LOTR fan to read this

message 35: by Denise (last edited Jan 18, 2010 08:18AM) (new)

Denise Roper | 9 comments Hi! I'm Denise, and I am a huge fan of The Lord of the Rings, Narnia, and Harry Potter. I've even written a book comparing Harry Potter to The Lord of the Rings and Narnia which has been reviewed here on Goodreads. It is called The Lord of the Hallows if you are interested, and it's available at www.outskirtspress.com/thelordoftheha....

I'm going to MythCon 41 in Dallas this summer. This is the convention of the Mythopoeic Society, a group dedicated to the study of the works of Tolkien, Lewis, and Charles Williams. Is anyone else here going to that event?

Christina, Finding God in the Lord of the Rings is an excellent book. I really enjoyed reading it.

LOTR fans, please add me as a friend. I am new to this site and am trying to meet more people who share my interests.

message 36: by Christina (new)

Christina | 16 comments Denise wrote: "Hi! I'm Denise, and I am a huge fan of The Lord of the Rings, Narnia, and Harry Potter. I've even written a book comparing Harry Potter to The Lord of the Rings and Narnia which has been reviewed h..."

I'm glad someone else has enjoyed that incredible book too!
The conference sounds interesting, although I'm afriad I don't know Williams.

C.S. Lewis is an incredible author too! I still have yet to read his books besides the Narnia series.
Denise, There are Also several books that relate the Narnia series to the Bible, such as Narnia: Unlocking the Wardrobe.

Have a great Thursday~ :)

message 37: by Maria (new)

Maria Salinas (marias_13) | 3 comments I feel quite ashamed that I had never heard of the books or movies of Lord of the Rings until I was 14 and refused to read or watch any of the movies until I was 16. Still, I am thankful that I finally did because now I am completely hooked. I have read Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and of course The Silmarillion. I find Tolkien's philosophy and use of diction enchanting and he is currently one of my greatest hero's. I am extremely thankful to Tolkien and I love learning more and more about him as I grow older. Since I first finished the book a year ago I have made it my goal to read it at least once every year and have so far succeeded, I am currently re-reading the first of the trilogy. :)

message 38: by Katniss (new)

Katniss (katniss1986) | 5 comments I'm Katniss, 23, from Germany and I adore both the books and movies of The Lord of the Rings. I'm currently re-reading the books and joined this group hoping to find some other people who love it as much as I do and nonetheless to find interesting discussions about it.

I also read The Hobbit and after re-reading the Lord of the Rings I'm going to read the Silmarillion (for the first time).

=)

message 39: by Connor (new)

Connor (connork) I'm Connor, my dad read to me the Hobbit in second grade. I read Lord of the Rings in fifth grade after I saw the movies. As a fifth grader, I thought they were so cool. I read the books and they took forever. I was young in 2006. They did become my favorite books and I read them again the next two years. They have stood the test of time and are still my favorite series. Of course, it hasn't been that much time yet but still. In seventh grade, I read the Silmarillion. That was a very difficult book. It's written like a history book and was kinda hard in 7th grade. It was still good and made some small details in the Lord of the Rings easier to understand.

I read other stuff too. I mostly like classics and just finished A Tale of Two Cities. That was such a good book, it was close to reaching the top of my favorite books along with the Three Musketeers.

message 40: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 3 comments Hello Fellow followers and lovers of The Lord of the Rings! I am Lisa. I joined this group because I absolutely LOVE LOTR! I know this sounds bad but I have yet to read the books. Don't get me wrong, I love books. I want to buy them soon! But from seeing the films and the EXTENDED VERSIONS, I thought they were fantastic! To me LOTR trilogy are the best films of all time!! I fell in love with them when they came out. I can't wait to see The Hobbit. My sister and I always quote the movies. We are LOTR fanatics. I'm so glad to be a part of a group that loves this product of Tolkien's genius.

message 41: by Anne (new)

Anne Gazzolo Welcome, Lisa, my sister!! :) I came through the films also and agree with you. The books are wonderful as well. Do tell us what you think of them! I have blogged about both and I am writing a book about the tale myself - see below for links!

Namarie, God bless, Anne Marie :)
http://momentsofgracelotr.blogspot.com
http://wwww.momentsofgracelotr.com

message 42: by Haley (new)

Haley | 3 comments I was introduced to LOTR when I first saw the movies and I love them! I'm now reading the books and I really like them so far too.

message 43: by Venus (new)

Venus (nevusarmie) | 1 comments Hi!
I just joined the group! :)
I'm venus rojas. I got hooked to the book because of the movie. Although now I know that the book and the movie are different - each can stand on their own and are marvelous and creative works.
I read the Hobbit before giving LOTR I try. Then I was hooked :D
I'm now starting The Silmarillion.

message 44: by Anne (new)

Anne Gazzolo Welcome, Venus and Haley, two more of my sisters! I came through the same way.

Namarie, God bless, Anne Marie :)
http://www.momentsofgracelotr.com
http://www.momentsofgrace.blogspot.com

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 3 comments If you like LOTR, you might like the music group Mediaeval Baebes! Join the group here on goodreads!

message 46: by Faye (new)

Faye (asdfayeiouvwxyz) | 2 comments Hi all! I'm Faye. :D I was searching for fun groups and landed here. I love LOTR.