Charles Dickens discussion

Currently Reading > Summer Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (KTressler) | 15 comments I am starting Little Dorrit and wasn't sure if anyone else wanted to do a read through/discussion? I don't have a schedule or plan, just to enjoy the book!

message 2: by Blue (new)

Blue Owl | 1 comments Sure ! All summer ?

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (KTressler) | 15 comments I hope to finish it early July so I can read Our Mutual Friend on vacation. I am in chapter 3 right now and as usual, Dickens's details and methods if describing are second to none!

message 4: by L (new)

L (ljarnes) | 3 comments I'm in and will start reading Little Dorrit today.

κίρστεν (Kirsten) (kirsten_j) | 18 comments I loved Our Mutual Friend. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :) I should put Little Dorrit on my To-read list.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (KTressler) | 15 comments I am in chapter 9 of book 1 and have noticed the setting/character relations with the narrowing in at the Marshalsea and the Clennam's abode with the inhabitants. I am interested to see the connection Arthur will play between the Dorrit family and his own.

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian Grant | 1 comments L.D. is the only Dickens I've only read once. A little sentimental I think.
After the page I recommend the film version with Alec Guinness...

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (KTressler) | 15 comments I am sure it will be crammed full with sentimentality, especially because of his treatment of weak, petite females. I am hoping that the characterization and plot outweigh the overt sentimentality.

message 9: by L (new)

L (ljarnes) | 3 comments Currently finishing up Ch 9 of Little Dorrit. For me the sentimentality is outweighed by the emphasis on Amy being so small from lack of food and nourishment. I certainly don't think of her as weak. How could she be when her family depends on her so heavily (and unfairly)?

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (KTressler) | 15 comments I don't view her as a weak person or individual, but weak in the sense that she is frail. She certainly upholds the family and fulfills more duties than she should.

message 11: by L (new)

L (ljarnes) | 3 comments I see what you mean, Kevin, and I agree about Amy's fraility.

The chapter introducing Flora Finching was the only time I laughed out loud reading Dickens. I do feel for Flora, though. No one likes to be perceived as ridiculous. It seems that she can't help herself.

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (KTressler) | 15 comments Sorry I have been busy and fell behind on my reading. I was in a wedding out of town last weekend and with work this week, it has made it harder to catch up.

I've just started chapter 12 and look forward to the intertwining of the "conwicts" and the other characters. I am not surprised to see Dickens mix the broken government/court system into this novel, as with many others, and the continued look at the social implications of the broken results. Arthur's good intentions to find out the track record of the Dorrits debts runs him through one of the funniest parts of the book so far - Dickens rant about the Circumlocution Office.

message 13: by Connor (new)

Connor (connork) | 226 comments Mod
You're farther than a lot of us I'm sure, haha. I haven't really read at all this summer.