Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Book & Series Discussions > Inkworld Trilogy

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2686 comments Mod
Anyone looking forward to the movie Inkheart? That is the only book I have read so far in the trilogy and enjoyed the book.

http://www.inkheartmovie.com/

message 2: by Malena (new)

Malena (thefieryheartnz) | 21 comments The movie looks fantastic. I've never heard of the series. I'll have to add the book to my tbr pile.

message 3: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (court617) The books are great, but the movie isn't what I expected it to be. I mean, they picked Breden Fraiser for Mo?? I imagined Mo a bit...older-looking w/ a kind of soft voice..

Miss Bookiverse (missbookiverse) I watched it today and I thought it was great. I really liked the choice of Brendan Fraser as Mo, he did a great job! I also loved the actress that played Meggie. I found her character to be a little annoying in the book but much more likable in the movie. Great choices for Dustfinger as well. I didn't like Bast avery much either, I had always pictured him more like Cockerell was done (with really cool hair). They shortened the story a lot of course but I think they did a good job, it was easy to understand without having read the book (which I have but my sister hasn't who watched it with me), the characters were well displayed the story was gripping. I don't know what to think of Andy Serkis as Capricorn ... he was kind of cool but also kind of too joker-ish if you know what I mean ... furthermore I liked how they kept the movie a little lighter, with funny quotes in between like Dustfinger pointing out that his character flaws weren't his fault, he was written like that.

message 5: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

It is out?

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Is the movie based on the first book or the entire trilogy? My daughter has read the first one, but hasn't got a chance to read the next too. She loves to read, but the length of the first one made her reluctant to read it. Once she started and got into the book she couldn't stop reading it!

message 7: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

It is based on the first book only. I think it comes out January 23rd that is what the website says so I don't know if Spooky saw a sneak peak or what?

Miss Bookiverse (missbookiverse) Nope, I didn't, it's out in Germany already, I saw it at the cinema, no sneak peak or illegal download.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianes) I love these books, but as usual I'm worried that the movie won't be as good.

message 10: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Man I am so jealous that you got to see it already Spooky! I saw the trailer for this movie like a year ago and that is why I read the book. Usually it doesn't happen like that for me, but the original trailer really intrigued me.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the books... I'm jealous, Spooky!! It's not out here, yet... I just have to settle with screaming at the commercials...

message 12: by Miss Bookiverse (new)

Miss Bookiverse (missbookiverse) I'm really surprised it's out in Germany before the US. I mean, I know it's a German book but it usually takes forever to be dubbed and published in cinema here (like Twilight, it won't be out until next week!)

message 13: by Liana (new)

Liana | 5 comments I read Inkheart because the movie trailer looked so fun. I found the book to be excruciating. It was a great idea that didn't really develop as well as it could have. I am still going to see the movie, I hope that the translation to film will move the story along more quickly and be a little more exciting.

message 14: by Miss Bookiverse (new)

Miss Bookiverse (missbookiverse) I know what you mean, when I first read the book it took me ages, not only because it's quite a long book but mostly because it is not thaat gripping and exciting. I agree, the characters and ideas are great but it's just told too slowly. The found the movie to be much faster.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 9 comments Hoping to catch the movie soon, I love Branden Frasier but can't really imagine him as Mo, thought he was supposed to be a bit older. Bur Frasier has surprised me in the past so.

The first book was good. H/w I can't finish the second. Was halfway through but abandoned it a few mths back. Very slow. I found that Inkworld wasn't fascinating enough and the development of characters was too slow too. Was really painful and fell asleep too often after reading just about one page.

I hope to get back to it though, maybe the movie will motivate me heh.

message 16: by Kathryn (last edited Jan 23, 2009 10:17AM) (new)

Kathryn | 60 comments My sister and I are eagerly looking forward to the film but probably won't have a chance to see it until next weekend. I read INKHEART several years ago and I loved it!!! I have since attempted to read INKSPELL and couldn't get past the first seven chapters or so before I just lost interest. I kept wondering what was wrong with me, but maybe it's just not as good if others here also struggled...

Regarding Brendan Fraser as Mo... This is from a REUTERS article:

"n 2002, best-selling German author Cornelia Funke sent Fraser a copy of her young adult novel "Inkheart" with a surprising and flattering inscription.

"It said, 'Dear Brendan, Thank you for inspiring the character of Mo. I hope that you will one day be able to read this to your children. Sincerely Yours, Cornelia Funke,'" Fraser recalled.

Fraser was so moved that he hopped a flight to Hamburg, where he spent the day with Funke, her husband, her daughter, her son, their Icelandic horse, and their "crazy dog Ludi who ate the tea cakes," Fraser said.

When the time came to cast the film adaptation of the book, he was the first and only choice to play Mo."

SO I think it's very cool that he is playing Mo in the film. I have always liked him and, while I'm not sure he really fits MY mental image of Mo, I think he could be great. It's not often that authors get to have their own vision represented so perfectly when characters appear in movies, so yay for Funke and yay for Fraser! ;->

message 17: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (court617) The first one isn't as good as the others. And I blame the fact that its in our world(that makes it boring). Its not in the Inkworld, or Inkheart. I keep telling my friend that but she won't read the second one...She really hated the first one..

message 18: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

I didn't know the second one takes place in a different world? That sounds interesting!

message 19: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (court617) Yep...It takes place in the Inkheart world..

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianes) I just saw the movie today, and it was really good, although they did change some things and didn't always follow the book. I liked most of the actors and actresses chosen, but the way they portrayed the people Darius read out of books was a bit weird.

message 21: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Can't wait to see it! I am going to a matinee this week!

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments I'll be seeing the movie next week and can hardly wait!! :D
I read "Inkheart" last year and really, really liked it! The odd thing was, I did find that parts were a little long or drawn out, but for whatever reason I didn't mind and found myself wanting to keep reading and getting through it pretty quickly. I really liked it:)
I'm having a hard time getting into the second one though - I think it's because there's so many characters that it takes about 4 or 5 chapters of "starts" ... a first chapter for one character, a first chapter for another, and so on. But, I'm making a second try at it, and hoping the movie will aid me in that attempt, because I'm very curious as to what happens.
As far as casting Frasier as Mo: he's not really what I had pictured either. However, I *adore* him as an actor, so I'd think he'd do a good job - and even better that he is who Funke imagined and was inspired by, so it's probably as close as we'll get to what she'd envisioned. :)

message 23: by alisonwonderland (new)

alisonwonderland | 30 comments i haven't read the books (yet), but i took my 13yo daughter and five of her friends to the movie on friday night to celebrate her birthday. i thought the movie was amazing! the kids - most of whom had read the book - really liked it too.

message 24: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 60 comments I created a new thread for those who would like to discuss the film here, there will be spoilers:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 25: by Sara (new)

Sara I really loved the first and second book. I found the third slightly disappointing...not terrible but most certainly not the best of the series.
I still recommend them though. =) The first especially! The movie was okay. Cute! But not fantastic in my opinion.

message 26: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Cole (bookwink) Sara wrote: "I really loved the first and second book. I found the third slightly disappointing...not terrible but most certainly not the best of the series.
I still recommend them though. =) The first especia..."

I had trouble getting into the third book, at first. But then after about 100 pages it really started moving and then I couldn't put it down!

message 27: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 72 comments I never saw the movie, and since it's not in theatres anymore... I guess I never will... But from what I have heard, I have'nt missed much! I heard the book was a lot better than the movie.

message 28: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

It is about to be out for rent.

message 29: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 72 comments Oh good! So I will get to see it!

message 30: by Melyssa (new)

Melyssa | 30 comments I'm excited to see this one! I didn't get to see it in theaters. I've heard great things to not so great things about the movie though, so I'm a little nervous.
I read the first book and liked it, but had a hard time getting into the second book.

message 31: by Adris (new)

Adris (adristl) I didn't like the second or third books as much. They were really confusing. Cornelia Funke was supposedly coming out with a fourth where Meggie has a little brother and he wants to go to the human world. Maybe it was just rumors, but who knows?

message 32: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Walker (malcolmwalker) I tend to agree with Adris. The first book was an interesting story and well-written, but once you get into the alternative world in the second book the author seems to lose focus, the characters become rather stereotypical and the plot seems a little too predictable. I haven't read the 3rd book as yet.

message 33: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) I personally couldn't even get through the first 100 paged of Inkheart. I found it excruciatingly boring.

message 34: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) I think the story was an interesting idea, but the writing was boring. It was hard to get through. The movie bugged me because they wrapped it all up in the end so there's no possibility of a sequel.

message 35: by Eden (new)

Eden (tsalagi_writer) I've only read Inkheart so far and I loved it. I really like the movie too, I like the actors they picked to play the characters.

message 36: by Anna (new)

Anna | 31 comments I think Inkheart is the weakest of the trilogy. Funke is much better at writing when she is in he fantasy world of Inkheart. The 'real life scenes' are pretty unconvincing. Everything feels more 3 dimensional in her fantasy world. If you were unsure about book 1 give book 2 a chance.

message 37: by Anna (new)

Anna (clockworkorange) I actually loved book 1 too, but yearh, book 2 was a bit better. I only watched some of the movie, and it confused me a bit, but I might just rewatch it anyways.
I still haven't read the third, because many say it was very bad.

message 38: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Space (MLSpace) | 15 comments My youngest son and I read the trilogy and we both liked Inkheart the best. It was a fresh idea. Funke is an excellent writer (the translator did a great job, too). We were excited about seeing the movie but disappointed. It seemed to have parts of both Inkheart and the second book (Inkspell)in it.

message 39: by Anna (last edited Mar 01, 2013 03:14PM) (new)

Anna | 31 comments 'Duct tape. I love duct tape!' - best line in the movie!

message 40: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brlemon) | 149 comments The Inkheart movie did to the series what the Lemony Snicket movie did to that series.

In both cases, they tried to tie up all of the books into one movie. But along the way, they lost so much of the outstanding material that was present in the book.....they lost the expectation and slow buildup to the mystery.....the character developments.

I love a quote I remember reading from Entertainment Weekly about the Hunger Games movie......"movies tell you how but the books tell you why."

message 41: by Anna (new)

Anna | 31 comments For me moveis can work but I have to treat them like a separate entity. The Cacssandra Clare series this summer will be interesting.

message 42: by M.L. (new)

M.L. Space (MLSpace) | 15 comments Brenda, well said.

message 43: by Kerr (new)

Kerr (paein) | 8 comments currently trying to read these. I've seen the film, ages ago so I kind of remember the plot, but I am struggling and have moved on to a trilogy or two that have recently published their last book..