Amazonia Amazonia discussion

The Mysterious Amazon Rain Forest

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shubham (last edited Jun 07, 2012 01:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shubham I read Amazonia sometime recently, And I was completely amazed & bedazzled by the story and the plot!! First, it involved the fact that Agent Clarke's, missing alongwith a team of scientists on their expedition, resurfaced, and that too with his arm fully regrown, and adding to that the mysterious and sinister background of the world's largest rain forest- The Amazon.
Amazing Book!! Also, the unknown & large-scale pandemic caused by the undiscovered Prion, made it all a fantastic & edgy thriller!!
Anybody else who thinks so? Or what do you think? Which part/incident did you like best? What other secrets do you think the Amazon hides?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Amazomia was one of the first books I read by James Rollins and it got me hooked on his books. It was quite a while ago that I read it. Some of his newer books do not excite me the way the early ones did, but all of them kept me interested and wondering what he would create next out of his imagination.

Anand Amazonia is incredible in its plot, and thanks to Shubham for starting this discussion. This is the only James Rollins novel I have read, but it turned out to be one of the best eco-thrillers sci-fi ever! The only disconcerting issue for me, owing to my subjective taste, was the blood and gore narrated in some portions, but that apart, I think the novel was superb.

Shubham Yes, Rollins does depict some amount of slaying and killing of people, but that I think, adds up to the entire plot of the novel. The perspective through which you look upon a character is heavily affected by the incidents and effects of such high-octane and murderous action, and that is what the plot & the story finally builds on.
Amazonia is really one of the best eco-sci-fi thrillers that I've read, and I would advice you to go through more of his works. Individual Books like Subterranean, excavation are very nice, and so is the highly popular and loved Sigma Series.

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon Laiche Rollins is my guilty pleasure. Pure mind candy. wham bam shoot-em-ups with a little science thrown in for good measure.

Shubham Yes, Rollins is a world-class author with a panache for writing thrillers and stories. He is far greter than someone like Meyers, but it wouldn't be fair for me to compare Meyers and Rollins since they belong to different genres and are completely different from each other. Personally, I would prefer Rollins everytime!!
Hopefully, he will be more renowned than Meyers one day.

Tony Herrera I've read most of Rollin's book, and I think I enjoyed this one the best. Maybe it was the creatures.. :)

Sharon Dwyer This was a great book and I've read it several times. My favorite was Ice Hunt.

Shubham The kind of a topic that Rollins took in this book was fantastic. I believe we would see more authors following suit very soon..

Shubham How do you think Rollins compares to Dan Brown? They both integrate elements of Scientific pursuit and Historical Trails. Both of them create superb plots and weave the story in a very absorbing way! Whom would you prefer if you have only one among them to chose?

message 11: by L.Z. (new) - rated it 5 stars

L.Z. Marie Mind-candy--LOVE it! Love stories that integrate myth, history and science. Rollins does it with verve!
Novels by Preston & Child--not as much action--but the integration of reality and mysticism is fun and chew-worthy.

message 12: by Roni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roni I read one book from the Sigma Series, The Judas Strain, first and got hooked. I had to pick up the rest of the series, and have up until The Eye of God. Then I found out he had stand alone novels and had to get as many as I could find, and so far I've read 3 I think, the latest being Amazonia, and I loved it...I stayed up late into the early morning hours just to finish it.
The only thing I miss from his newer books that I would love in his earlier works are the notes at the end where he talks about what's real in the world of science and history and what he made up or filled in gaps with his own imagination. basically his authors notes and research, it's always interesting to see where his inspiration comes from.

message 13: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim I believe I have read all of Rollin's books except the last one. I still prefer the stand alone (Amazonia, Ice Hunt, Subterrarrian) to the Sigma Series although all are good.

Shubham Yes, even I'm to read the "Eye of God"

Shubham Roni wrote: "I read one book from the Sigma Series, The Judas Strain, first and got hooked. I had to pick up the rest of the series, and have up until The Eye of God. Then I found ..."

Yes, that's true.

Deepa Manju This was my first James Rollin's book.... amazing... just amazing

message 17: by Dave (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dave Edlund Deepa wrote: "This was my first James Rollin's book.... amazing... just amazing"

Yes, my first Rollins book also--read it many years ago and was hooked. Although I was disappointed with the "tree of life" ending, it was still a page-turner. I've since grown rather fond of the Sigma Force series.

Derek Thomas I have to agree with Jim, I enjoyed the standalone books the most. Rollins is such a great story teller with a creative mind. The mix of science and adventure is wonderful and Amazonia is one of his best in my opinion.

message 19: by Sabrina (new) - added it

Sabrina The Book Lover I recently read this book and I enjoyed it a lot, but I did think it took a bit of time to really take off.

Kaikobad Zico My first James Rollins was "Map of Bones"

to be honest, it was like reading another Matthew Reily...

But "Amazonia"...... was just AMAZING!!!!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Shubham wrote: "How do you think Rollins compares to Dan Brown? They both integrate elements of Scientific pursuit and Historical Trails. Both of them create superb plots and weave the story in a very absorbing wa..."

Rollins without a doubt

message 22: by Dave (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dave Edlund In my opinion, Dan Brown places the entire foundation of his more recent books (beginning with Angels and Demons) on historical facts and conspiracy theories, whereas Rollins (also in some, not all, of his books) uses historical fact and conspiracies as a relatively minor subplot.

Elizabeth I love James Rollins,his one of my 2 all time favorite authors,I love how he mixes historical facts and science along with conspiracies like he does in his SIGMA series.Question Does anyone knows what SIGMA stands for in his books,I thought in one of them he tells you what it stands for but I know its not the meaning of it

message 24: by Dave (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dave Edlund Elizabeth wrote: "I love James Rollins,his one of my 2 all time favorite authors,I love how he mixes historical facts and science along with conspiracies like he does in his SIGMA series.Question Does anyone knows w..."

I, too, am a huge fan of the Sigma Series. In fact, it's been an inspiration for my writing. However, I do not recall ever reading what Sigma means; if, in fact, it even is an acronym.

Dorman Groat Anybody else think that huge parts of Avatar's plot was cribbed from this book?