UIU Library discussion

Hunger Games > Reactions: Teens vs. Adults

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 47 comments Mod
Deb mentioned in a post that she was put off as a mother by the idea of the book, as it includes kids killing kids. Did this bother you as well? Were you hesitant to pick it up because of the premise? Do you think teens and adults respond differently to the book?

message 2: by Deb (new)

Deb (dpladsen) | 6 comments I think kids do respond differently - although maybe I shouldn't only single out "kids". I think a book like Hunger Games will draw lots of different emotions and focuses. Some will focus on the relationship between Katniss and her "boys", some on the bigger picture of problems with a society like that, some will read it just for the action - hoping for some good fighting. I have a "mom" friend who said if she had a 13 year old daughter, she wouldn't let her read it. I guess, I don't really agree with that....generally, books that get people reading and talking are a good thing.

message 3: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 47 comments Mod
Before reading it I was somewhat put off by the storyline, and the potential goriness. I can't stand gratuitous violence, especially when it involves children or animals, but in this case there was a reason for it. I think some people may miss the bigger picture of the correlation between that fictional world of oppression and the realities of what such oppression and conformity can lead to.

message 4: by Deb (new)

Deb (dpladsen) | 6 comments I hadn't ever heard of the series before, but I went to Breaking Dawn with my 18 year old niece and there was a trailer for the Hunger Games movie. She was excited because she was excited for the movie to come out. I remember saying VERY strongly that there was no way I would ever see a movie like that or read a book like that! I just couldn't bring myself to do that and didn't think I would enjoy such a horrific plot. Well, fast forward 6 months and never say never!