The Hairpin discussion

'Pinner recommendations?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helen (new)

Helen McClory I thought I'd ask what books you've all been reading lately and found awesome. Lit fiction, non-fiction, genre, whatever rocks.

I'm a huge huge fan of Zazen, by Vanessa Veselka - lit fiction dystopia which is challenging and wicked and sparky.

message 2: by Jade (new)

Jade OH DYSTOPIA'S. Best thing ever.

I haven't read Zazen but I'm putting it on the list! I read Dhalgren last year which definitely gets to sit in the lit fic dystopia category.

Stuff I've been reading lately has been 'good' but not awesome. Last 'awesome' book I read was 'Soulless' by Gail Carriger. It's light steampunk victorian somewhat chubby heroine with vampires/werewolves.

message 3: by Madeline (new)

Madeline (themis) I just finished On Manners, by Karen Stohr. It's sort of philosophy-for-a-general-audience (but not in a patronizing way), and it was really interesting! She draws on canonical philosophers and less-canonical philosophers. So, Kant and Emily Post, Aristotle and Judith Martin, Jane Austen, Seinfeld.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments Following the post about books about the sea, I've been reading the Aubrey/Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brian, which are very good and very funny, but I guess the last really awesome book I read was Brideshead Revisited, which I loved. On Manners sounds very interesting!

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I picked it up after the Nebula Award post, and I'm recommending Jo Walton's Among Others to everyone I know - it's fantasy, but is as much (if not more) a book about loving books, and aaaahhhhh so amazing.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1 comments Sarah wrote: "but I guess the last really awesome book I read was Brideshead Revisited, which I loved..."
FYI-I just noticed that the 1981 Brideshead Revisited miniseries is streaming on Netflix now. Rewatching it has made me realize I really need to read the book too!

message 7: by Diana (new)

Diana | 3 comments Kelly, Among Others is so great! Have you read any of Walton's other stuff? I am a giant Walton fangirl, I haven't read anything of hers that I disliked. My Among Others experience was definitely one of those "she wrote this FOR ME!" ones.

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly DianaH wrote: "My Among Others experience was definitely one of those "she wrote this FOR ME!" ones. "

YES, that's exactly how I felt!! I actually haven't read any of her other stuff yet, but I heard the Small Change series was great. Also really want to read The King's Peace because HELLO ARTHURIAN REINTERPRETATION WITH LADY KNIGHTS.

message 9: by Diana (last edited Jun 29, 2012 11:47AM) (new)

Diana | 3 comments Oh Kelly, the Sulien books are my second-favorite Arthur stories (after T.H. White). They are...fantastic. So, so good. I actually just wrote an overlong blog post about them, but I will not link it because it is full of spoilers. :B

Recs from my recent library trips: Bitterblue (YA fantasy), Midnight Days (a collection of some unpublished Gaiman comics), Chicken With Plums (graphic novel).

message 10: by Kelly (new)

Kelly DianaH wrote: "Oh Kelly, the Sulien books are my second-favorite Arthur stories (after T.H. White). They are...fantastic. So, so good. I actually just wrote an overlong blog post about them, but I will not link i..."

Thanks! I'll have to keep these in mind.

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan | 5 comments I am going through a "catching up on my fave fantasy series/authors from high school" phase, and just finished Blackveil by Kristen Britain, and just started Casket of Souls by Lynn Flewelling (which I am already almost halfway through just from last night, lesob!).

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan | 5 comments Kelly wrote: "DianaH wrote: "My Among Others experience was definitely one of those "she wrote this FOR ME!" ones. "

YES, that's exactly how I felt!! I actually haven't read any of her other stuff yet, but I he..."

OMG ARTHURIAN INTERPRETATION WITH LADY KNIGHTS I AM THERE Y'ALL

message 13: by Jenny Nelson (new)

Jenny Nelson | 3 comments The last books I've read that I absolutely loved were Ursula K. Le Guin's The Dispossessed and Julian Barnes's The Sense of an Ending, which actually I read a little while ago. I've read other things in the meantime that I really appreciated but didn't otherwise hit me in the guts, so to speak.

But I bought Among Others TODAY, so I am psyched to start that one. Zazen has been on my list, and I think I will move it to the top based on your recommendations!

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (electricmayhem) I've been trying to get Among Others from my library, but it's always checked out.

Just finished The Art of Fielding this morning and didn't think it lived up to the hype. Can anyone explain the massive popularity of it to me?

Has anyone else read Code Name Verity? It's one of my very favorites so far this year - I read it weeks ago and still tear up just thinking about it. Kiss me, Hardy! *SOB*

I also really liked (but didn't love) The Age of Miracles - It's a quiet dystopian novel! And that led me to Into the Forest, which I'm reading now.

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan | 5 comments Megan wrote: "Kelly wrote: "DianaH wrote: "My Among Others experience was definitely one of those "she wrote this FOR ME!" ones. "

YES, that's exactly how I felt!! I actually haven't read any of her other stuff..."

YOU CAN'T SEEM TO BUY IT ANYWHERE *cries forever, then remembers Toronto has a pretty good used book scene