Horse Whisperers discussion

Book discussions > The Brave

Comments Showing 1-50 of 143 (143 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Not out yet and according to his website, not even finished. Well, he can take his time as I haven't read the others yet. It sounds interesting though.

message 2: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Atishay | 229 comments Mod
Yeah, pretty different but intersting. In fact, all the books that he has written are different and super.

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Shit, another one. I have been sucked into the void.

message 4: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
No he can't take his time. It is over ayear I found out about this book and it isn't easy.....
When I read the first time what it was about, I had to tell immediately my friend. She is now also very curious because the summary of his new book makes me very curious but also makes me wonder if it will be good. But everytime I am wondering about that, afraid that he won't write a new treasure for me...

message 5: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) You should count yourself lucky he didn't go and kill himself with that poisenous mushroom in November! Then there would have been no The Brave and no nothing. So you must be patient!

And all that backs up my reason never to touch any kind of mushroom. They're foul tasting and out to get you.

message 6: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
shhh Fiona, don't make me think about that!

message 7: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Did you know Evans is into Hollywood as well? He is a writer and a director/producer.

message 8: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Atishay, I read that once too.
You know when I was living in London I felt even more close to his books becasue he was in England more to the west of London....but I even thought about making a trip once to where he lives. didn't do it in the end. Jsut liek I wanted to visit the place where Agatha Christie lived.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Jeane wrote: "Atishay, I read that once too.
You know when I was living in London I felt even more close to his books becasue he was in England more to the west of London....but I even thought about making a tr..."

Oh, Jeane, I'm so jealous. I really want to go to England. Also, I love, love, love Agatha Christie.

message 10: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Same here Kathy. I love Agatha Christie's too, esp Poirot ones and the independent mysteries. I hated the Miss Marple ones.

message 11: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
I love Miss Marple.
I think I would have felt like being ina wondeful dream when visiting the region, place she lived. It would feel so unreal for me!

message 12: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

So finally Jeane, we disgree on something. :)
I simply hated the idea of Miss Marple as an investigator. But of course, the element was mystery was superbly handled as always in all Agatha Christie novels.

message 13: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Never read an Agatha Christie. I do have the first book of Poirot though. I did grow up watching the tv series though, so strange I never picked a book up. I watch more crime dramas then I read them.

message 14: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Fiona, what? I mean, is that possible? Didn't every single person existing in this worl read at least one book by her????????? The world keeps suprising.....

Atishay, I started to know her books mainly through the Miss marple stories and later Poirot, then Tuppence..... In the begining I didn't knew she had also other characters and I thought she was Miss marple!

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Tell me it ain't so, Joe. Atishay, you used hate and Miss Marple in the same sentence. Nooooooooo! And, Fiona, you haven't read any Agatha Christie? Noooooooo! Jeane, you are the only one whose posting saved me from tearing out my hair. I, too, started out reading Agatha Christie with the Miss Marple ones, then went on to Poirot. I love Miss Marple. Atishay, please take it back.

message 16: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

I started with her too.But I really couldn't associate with Miss Marple. I read plenty of them and it didnn't work out for me. I was going to leave Agatha Christie hadn't it been for Poirot. He reminded me so much of Sherlock Holmes that I became an instant fan.

message 17: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "Tell me it ain't so, Joe. Atishay, you used hate and Miss Marple in the same sentence. Nooooooooo! And, Fiona, you haven't read any Agatha Christie? Noooooooo! Jeane, you are the only one whos..."

hah, you are wlecome thy. Your post saved me to of applying for the mad house..again!
I love Miss Marple. Whenever I watched the tv series I would hope it was with the little, thin old lady and not the bigger one.
But I adore it whenever someone says to Poirot he is French!

message 18: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Sherlock Holmes is boring. But did you know, Arthur Conan Doyle lived in Portsmouth for a bit. Yep. He lived not far from where I did once. That is as far as my literary connections go.

I used to like the TV series of Poirot and Marple, but they've gone down hill. Obviously written and directed by someone who doesn't appreciate the books. You know, they're 2hrs long but everything feels really thin, not like they used to be.

message 19: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Sherlock Holmes boring Fiona ?!! He is the most believable detective ever to born in the history of fiction. I don't think any other name has reached larger number of ears than this one.

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Fiona wrote: "Sherlock Holmes is boring. But did you know, Arthur Conan Doyle lived in Portsmouth for a bit. Yep. He lived not far from where I did once. That is as far as my literary connections go.

I used to ..."

I agree, Fiona, I liked the older ones better. Jeane, I too prefer the thinner Miss Marple. She just fits.

message 21: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Never got through a Sherlock Holmes. I've heard he's a little too perfect and knows everything too much... what's the word for such a character... anyway. Snore.

message 22: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments I have to say that I'm also a fan of Sherlock Holmes. I just love British mysteries.

message 23: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Me too Kathy.

message 24: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Me three Kathy :)

message 25: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Hey people! September 3rd! The release of The Brave as claimed by Amazon.

message 26: by Fiona (last edited Jan 25, 2009 06:33AM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Ages yet then. Leaves me enough time to get through all of his others!

message 27: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Oh goodie, Atishay. My daughter's due date is Sept. 1st, so I'll need a great book to read if I'm helping her out at her house after the baby comes.

message 28: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Atishay wrote: "Hey people! September 3rd! The release of The Brave as claimed by Amazon. "

Atishay, I am already waiting for more than a year and I know it is still more than half a year.....too long!!!!!!

message 29: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Fiona, what's next on your list? It had better be Loop or Smoke Jumper :)

I hope we all get it asap Kathy, me and Jeane have been waiting for it too long :(

message 30: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Oi! My poor booklist is starting to fall apart under all this strain. I will probs read The Loop next but I'm not sure when. And if I read them all too soon, I won't have any left to look forward to now will I?

message 31: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

You should read The Loop next. Its amazing.

message 32: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Fiona, that is the only problem with his books. he does so much research that it takes long before he writes a new book. Then the moment it is in the shop I buy it but can't wait to start reading it. And the moment i know I don't have to work I jsut take the book and read it in one time without breaks. And then the book is finished and have to wait more than a year for another one and longer... So I wait some years and in one day I read what I have been waiting for so long...

message 33: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Rightly put Jeane.

message 34: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Fiona wrote: "Oi! My poor booklist is starting to fall apart under all this strain. I will probs read The Loop next but I'm not sure when. And if I read them all too soon, I won't have any left to look forward t..."

Oh Fiona, read The Loop as soon as you can. It is wonderful!

message 35: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Hear , Hear Fiona! You've got to read it now!

message 36: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Can't hear you. I'm wearing earmuffs.

message 37: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

*Pulls out her earmuffs and shouts*

Start Reading!

message 38: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Fiona, you know it's useless to resist. You and I have become card-carrying members of this crazy group, so just admit it and read the book.

message 39: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Noooooooooooo

message 40: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Fiona, your mouth says "nooooo," but your heart says, "I loooooooove Nicholas Evans."

message 41: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Yeah, you've been hypnotized by Evans. Get up and start reading.

message 42: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Hahaha, it is wonderful how you are talking to Fiona! So beautiful:-))))
she will give in soon....

message 43: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) No I won't!

message 44: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Fiona wrote: "No I won't!"

You are so almost there.

message 45: by Atishay, The Brave (last edited Jan 27, 2009 09:44PM) (new)

Denial is the first signal that shows the prey is about to give in. Keep it going.

message 46: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Well, here's what a site says about Brave:

"The motto of the boarding school to which eight-year-old Tommy Bedford is dispatched is 'Fortune Favours the Brave'. It's England in 1959 and the school bristles with bullies and sadistic staff. Tommy, a quirky loner, obsessed with Cowboys and Indians, will need all the bravery he can summon - and not simply to cope with school. Everything at home is suddenly turned upside down when he learns that his sister Diane, a glamorous actress, is in fact his mother and that his elderly parents are really his grandparents.

When Diane finds fame and falls in love with one of Tommy's heroes, TV cowboy star Ray Montane, she snatches him from school and whisks him away to live with them in Hollywood. Suddenly all Tommy's fantasies seem to have come true. With a handsome new president promising a New Frontier, the world seems golden and full of promise. But as the Cold War casts its shadow, the sinister side of Tinseltown starts to show through. When scandal erupts, Diane and Tommy are forced to flee to Montana. There, Tommy learns about the natural world and the cruel truth of how the West was won. He also has to learn at last the true meaning of bravery.

Unmasking the brutal reality behind the macho cowboy myth and how that myth affects the world today, THE BRAVE explores our quest for love and identity, the fallibility both of heroes and of parents, and the devastating effects of family secrets."

England ---> Hollywood ----> Montana... What does this guy have in his mind? Sounds fast, this one..

message 47: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
don't wanna read it what you posted, don't want to read it....I already almost don't manage now so if I put in my head even more what it is about....nono..september is still to far away.

message 48: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Sounds differnt.

Gah I suppose I better read the others...

BUT NOT YET I shall save them up and brag that I still have unread beauties to read whilst you have to wait until September to read a new one.

message 49: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
every new book of him is sounding different in the beginning.

message 50: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Yeah. This one sounds so different! Unlike anything we have seen from Evans so far. Fingers crossed.

« previous 1 3