Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Naked Brando: Portrait of a Friendship
This topic is about The Naked Brando
Book Issues > Confusion with titles and editions of a book

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susana | 4 comments When I searched for this book, the edition I found is paperback with 304 pages. The edition I have is 189 pages long.
Whenever I search for this book in other websites, they say that the "Naked Brando: Portrait fo a Friendship" has these id's: ISBN 13:9781903933756 ISBN 10: 1903933757.
My edition has the same ISBN13 but not the same ISBN10. Is it the same book, but different editions? Should they be combined?
I'm also confused because when I searched these ISBNs on Amazon he title that shows is "Naked Brando: An Intimate Friendship", even though the cover is the same as my book.
I'm not sure how to start correcting this.

message 2: by Amara (last edited Jun 07, 2012 11:40AM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) It would appear that Naked Brando: Portrait of a Friendship and Naked Brando: An Intimate Friendship are the same book; it's just that the subtitle changed at some point.

What's the ISBN-10 you have? When I put 9781903933756 in a converter, it says 1903933757 is the proper corresponding ISBN-10.

Susana | 4 comments The ISBN 10 is 1903933756

message 4: by Amara (last edited Jun 07, 2012 11:44AM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) And when I put that in, I get "Coversion failed. Please enter valid 10 or 13 digit ISBN." Perhaps a printing error on the publisher's part and it was supposed to be 1903933757? If that's the case, I'm not sure how to proceed.

Susana | 4 comments I've been looking and the book "Naked Brando: An Intimate Friendship" has an edition with 304 pages with a different cover.

Is the ISBN 13 supposed to be unique too? Because I would say they are different books, but in that case why the same ISBN 13?

message 6: by Amara (last edited Jun 07, 2012 11:57AM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) Alright, so, first thing I found: Marlon Brando: The Naked Actor = The Naked Brando: An Intimate Friendship = The Naked Brando: Portrait of a Friendship.

ISBN-13's aren't supposed to be recycled, but it does happen from time to time, so I suppose it is possible.

But still, everything I can find claims that 1903933756 isn't a valid ISBN, so that's still a bit of a mystery...? I'll keep looking to see what I can find.

message 7: by Amara (last edited Jun 07, 2012 12:02PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) I also managed to find the proper cover for Intimate Friendship, so that's corrected now.

My best guess at this point is that Portrait of a Friendship is a reprint of An Intimate Friendship with a different cover and subtitle, and the ISBN was just printed wrong as is actually 1903933757.

Susana | 4 comments Wow! What a situation we found! =)

Do we consider reprints as different editions, in order to capture all the different covers and page numbers?

message 9: by Amara (last edited Jun 07, 2012 12:20PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) Yes, reprints should be considered editions. Though the link between The Naked Actor and the two Naked Brando editions is a bit questionable, since the original edition, as Worldcat claims it is, has far more pages (and presumably, far more content)...