Horse Whisperers discussion

Book discussions > The Smoke Jumper

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Atishay | 229 comments Mod
It has a very strong theme behind it. I think The Divide really catapulted Evans's image in my mind to a very mature author. Indeed now, as I'm reading The Loop which was the next book to come out after The Horse Whisperer, I do feel The Divide was pretty much more maturely written and completely different from his usual style of writing.

message 2: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
When I started reading The smoke Jumper I got very interested in the job. It was so pasionate the way he told about it.

message 3: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

That's his strength. The passion and intensity he puts into his characters is amazing.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments I'm planning to read The Smoke Jumper sometime in 2009. Of course, if Atishy uses his powers on me again, like he did on The Loop, I will be reading it very soon. Must start The Loop, must start The Loop, must start The Loop....

message 5: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
kathy, first read The loop now. when you have finished that one I think it will be nice to read The smokejumper ebcause I think it is a bit softer. The loop made my brain paralyze for the rest of the day. The smokejumper lft me with a feeling of having read a very good book, another treasure but it didn't absorb every little bit of my body and brain.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Will do, Jeane. Maybe I should plan on putting everything that requires thinking on hold while I'm reading The Loop.

message 7: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Hmm.. Jeane is right about Loop. It is building into a disastrous situation as far as I've read. I'm expecting a tragic end. :(

You "must start the Loop" Kathy :)

message 8: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Hey! I just said I think it'll be tragic. I'm still reading it.

message 9: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "Will do, Jeane. Maybe I should plan on putting everything that requires thinking on hold while I'm reading The Loop."

I think you might kathy. For myself, I am not able to read anything else in between. Also difficult because besides the smokejumper, I read them all in one day.

message 10: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Fiona wrote: "If it is humans dying I don't care. But if a wolf dies, I might fall apart... don't tell me though. "

shhhhh, just read it. I am the same about animals. It doesn't affect me when people get hurt or die, but animals.......

message 11: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 11 comments Hey Everyone!!
I'm going to start this one tonight!!

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Well, I finally finished the Outlander series last night, 6 books with between 850-1000 pages each. Now, I have some catching up on other reading to do, including The Smoke Jumper. It will probably be another month before I get to it, though.

message 13: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

I envy both of you. I've been wanting to read Smoke Jumper for so long! I hope you love it.

message 14: by Paula (new)

Paula I pulled this one out of my stacks to move it up but haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe soon, then we can all discuss it.

message 15: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Atishay, you should really read it. It is lighter, soft but really good too! Kellie how is it going?

message 16: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Yea Yea.. :(
Just 2 weeks more, then I'm completely free.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Atishay wrote: "Yea Yea.. :(
Just 2 weeks more, then I'm completely free."

Atishay, now what is it that you will be free from? You sound excited, so I am excited for you. So, does it mean you will have more reading time? That sort of freedom is the best.

Kellie, how do you like The Smoke Jumper so far? Jeane, I know it's Evans, so it must be good, but having read the others, I'm just afraid it won't stack up. Comments? Paula, if you can wait about a month, I'm going to try to get to it in June, but I'm not sure about then. I have so much to catch up on, and it seems all my favorite authors have come out (or are coming out) with new books. I think I'll have to hibernate in the summer instead of the winter.

message 18: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Lots and Lots and Lots of freedom, 24 hours reading time and more access to books. Exams are going on now and they will be over in 2 weeks. Then I'm gonna have a long vacation. ;)

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Atishay wrote: "Lots and Lots and Lots of freedom, 24 hours reading time and more access to books. Exams are going on now and they will be over in 2 weeks. Then I'm gonna have a long vacation. ;)"

Wonderful! Good luck on your exams, then take that much deserved vacation and read, read, read.

message 20: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 11 comments OK I see I have been missing some questions here....

I am on Part 2. Part 1 was fantastic!
I really like the way Evans writes. He jumps around in time a bit...kind of like a fast forward. But then he will fill in some gaps along the way. His descriptions of landscape and nature are beautiful and his character development is stellar.

I'll keep you posted!

message 21: by Paula (new)

Paula Congratulations Atishay! Hope you do well on them!

Kathy, yes, I can wait a month. I also have some things to catch up on so that may work for me. Keep me posted.

message 22: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "Atishay wrote: "Yea Yea.. :(
Just 2 weeks more, then I'm completely free."

Atishay, now what is it that you will be free from? You sound excited, so I am excited for you. So, does it mean you wi..."

Kathy, everytime he writes a new book I am so afraid it won't be as good as the other one but every time it is a different kind of book but as great as the other one!

message 23: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Atishay wrote: "Lots and Lots and Lots of freedom, 24 hours reading time and more access to books. Exams are going on now and they will be over in 2 weeks. Then I'm gonna have a long vacation. ;)"

Good luck and when you need some strenght think about the books taht are waiting for you.

message 24: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Kathy it is so true that his discriptions are so beautiful.

message 25: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Thanks everyone! And the prospect of getting so much time to read throughout the day is what is keeping me alive and going.

message 26: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Aahh! The descriptions that Evans gives, especially for Montana... it is so beautiful and has such a melancholy touch in it.

message 27: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 11 comments OK, I'm done.
I liked it. Horse Whisperer is still my favorite, however, I have to say this book did keep my attention.
It is split into 3 parts.
Part I is great and ends with a cliffhanger.
Part II is good, more character driven.
Part III is pretty good but I was a little disappointed in the ending. I felt it was a bit far-fetched and rushed.
Definitely recommend it though! I gave it a 4 out of 5

message 28: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Great Kellie! So, now you have read all of Evans?

message 29: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 11 comments The only one I haven't read is The Loop.
I own it though so it's just a matter of time.

message 30: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Kellie wrote: "The only one I haven't read is The Loop.
I own it though so it's just a matter of time."

Oh Kellie, read The Loop. After reading it, I had a hard time deciding between it and The Horse Whisperer as my favorite.

message 31: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 11 comments That's good to know Kathy.
I absolutely loved The Horse Whisperer.
I own a 24 year old Quarter Horse that I have had for 20 years. HE is retired to pasture now and I don't see him much but the book really hit home.

message 32: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Wow, that's cool Kellie! I love horses.

message 33: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Do try out The Loop now. I'm pretty sure you'll love it. :)

message 34: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Kellie wrote: "OK, I'm done.
I liked it. Horse Whisperer is still my favorite, however, I have to say this book did keep my attention.
It is split into 3 parts.
Part I is great and ends with a cliffhanger.
P..."

I can't say this was the less good one because it wa really really good. Maybe the best way for me is to say very good but less intense, heart stopping like the other ones. This one let me breath while reading it.

message 35: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Kellie wrote: "The only one I haven't read is The Loop.
I own it though so it's just a matter of time."

My favourite!!!!!!!! That one almost killed me because it felt like my heart didn't beat anymore. My brain and daily functioning between people for sure stopped for the rest of the day. And I only stopped once while reading it because I really couldn't wait longer to use te bathroom, but besides that I started and finished it in the same day.

message 36: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Atishay wrote: "Do try out The Loop now. I'm pretty sure you'll love it. :)"

yesyesyes

message 37: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 11 comments I'll add it to the TBR for this year....That's the best I can do. I have so many to read.

message 38: by Paula (new)

Paula I really enjoyed "The Loop" when I read it this month. Last night I was watching a program about surviving in Yellowstone Park and they had a part about the wolves. They were chasing an elk and I was yelling "go to the water"! My husband gave me a puzzled look and the elk went to the water. The narrator explained why and hubby was amazed! LOL I learned that from "The Loop". : )

message 39: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Goooo Paula!!!!!!

message 40: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Lovely!

message 41: by Paula (new)

Paula See, you can be entertained AND learn at the same time. : )

message 42: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Paula wrote: "I really enjoyed "The Loop" when I read it this month. Last night I was watching a program about surviving in Yellowstone Park and they had a part about the wolves. They were chasing an elk and I w..."

So cool, Paula. Reading is indeed a useful activity.