Horse Whisperers discussion

Book discussions > The Loop

Comments Showing 1-50 of 233 (233 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Well, haven't read this one yet but thought I may as well encourage discussion!

message 2: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Wrong folder, damnit!

message 3: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Atishay | 229 comments Mod
I know its Jeane's fav and I'm liking it too. Its about a wolf biologist and how she is sent to a town in Montana to protect wolves who have been causing some trouble. The town has had a history of deep loathing for wolves and she falls in love with the son of her most formidable enemy.

message 4: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I love wilves, so looking forward to reading this soon. I found all of his books in the second hand shop. :D

message 5: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Wow! The Smoke Jumper too ?!!

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) All of them. Well, apart from The Divide but then I was reading that at the time so that didn't count for me.

I was quite surprised! You don't expect to go into a second hand shop and expect to jsut find all of them!

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Yes, Atishay, I am going to start The Loop as soon as I finish my current read, which should be finished in a few days. Fiona, you do realize that we have been brain-washed by Atishay and Jeane, don't you? Ha, ha. It's a good brain-washing, as brain-washings go. I think we all need to find a venue where Evans is attending and go as his biggest fans.

message 8: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Atishay, Fiona was a hard one to convince but when you left the work to me I completely went for it!!!!! And she was so negative about it that she made publicity for the books!!! haha...

message 9: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Oh shush. Horrible people. You are the reason my bookcase, poor thing, is creaking under the weight of all those blasted books.

I'd never bought that Chinese one with the fan if it wasn't for you either, Jeane. I was in that second hand shop picking up books by the arm full. Your fault entirely. If my bookcase breaks in middle of the night and falls on me as I sleep, I shall be sending the bill to you, for a new one!

message 10: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Hahaha, I was hoping it wasn't because of me when I read you took that one too!!!! :-)
Hope you will enjoy that one too.

message 11: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Ha Ha Ha !!!
Lolz !
Thats the way to go Jeane :)

message 12: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Don't encourage her, you.

message 13: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Its only for the good of you Fiona. Thats the only way we can persuade you to read Evans.

message 14: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
fiona, I am only enriching your life:-))))))

message 15: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) If you say so. A book a day keeps the doctor away?

message 16: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Oh yes, for sure. That is the best recipy for body and mind I think!

message 17: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Absolutely.

message 18: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Pssst psst move this thing down into book discussion folder you lazy moderators!

message 19: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Happy girl? ;-)

I think atishay and me, we get so into the posts we might forget we are the moderators and not only have to enjoy it...hehe

message 20: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Moderator?
Who is the moderator?

message 21: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
we are Atishay, but we are sometimes too involved and enthousiastic to remember:-) But better like this than not enthousiasm at all! And there is miss Fiona, so she will put her nose in our business and make sure we are put back on track!

message 22: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) You two should be given the sack!

message 23: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
A boss can't give himself the sack!!! Only of course if he is fed up... :-))))

message 24: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Well, Bugs gives you the sack then :P

message 25: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

No sacks please! Its recession already! :P
Yeah, you're right Jeane. I think we forget because Fiona gives us such a hard time, first we have to convince her to read Evans's book and then coerce her to read another one. Of course that gives us much to rant about Evans and praise his writing, which we love to do.

message 26: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
hehe

message 27: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Boo Hoo Hoo Hoo, Boo Hoo Hoo Hoo, I'm not finding time to read The Loop and the worst part is I can see it sitting right in front of me and I can't touch it :(

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments I started The Loop last night. Atishay, let me know your progress on it. I am only about 25 pages into it, started it right before going to sleep.

message 29: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

I'm some 100 pages into it. Glad to know you finally started it. :)
Did you like the opning lines? About that whole death thing leaving its marks in the soil etc etc? I loved it just as I loved the opening of Horse Whisperer ! I think Horse Whsiperer started something like 'There would be death at its beginning and death at its end...'.

message 30: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Com'on you two!!!! have that book with you aherever you go and even one minutes readings will help!!!! Just put an alarm for that one minute!

message 31: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Yes, Atishay, I did like the beginning. I'm on p. 65 now and getting ready to go read some tonight. I think I can safely say at this point that I have fallen in love with Nicholas Evans' style of writing. His detailed descriptions don't seem overdone at all, nothing tedious about them like some writers who try to do it. It's like every word of his flows so perfectly that you want to scoop it all up or wrap yourself inside of it.

Jeane, you are so right on with your advice about keeping the book with us. I went out of town today and took it just in case I got stranded (not much of a chance of that, but one never knows) or had any chance at all to read it.

Now, for my great big wonderful news today. The reason I went out of town was to meet my daughter and son-in-law for lunch (only 40 minutes away). They gave me the fantastic news that my daughter is pregnant with my first grandchild. Yipeeeeeeeeeeee!

message 32: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Congratulations Kathy! Or should I call you granny now?

message 33: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Whoa ! Hearty Congratulations Kathy ! I know you'll make a terrific granny :)
And Jeane, you're so right about taking out The Loop everytime we are going out. But then, I've been taking it out with me everytime but still I'm dead stuck on somewhere around 100 pages. Today, I'm gonna spring myself out of this deadlock, once and for all.

message 34: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "Yes, Atishay, I did like the beginning. I'm on p. 65 now and getting ready to go read some tonight. I think I can safely say at this point that I have fallen in love with Nicholas Evans' style of..."

Congratulations!!!! Happy for you and also happy for me that you fell in love with Evans' writing style!!!! And the good thing is that there are more books of him!!!
Hey Kathy, maybe you can give your daughter The horse whisperer as a present when she is in the stage that all she can do most of the day is sitting down!!!!

message 35: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Atishay wrote: "Whoa ! Hearty Congratulations Kathy ! I know you'll make a terrific granny :)
And Jeane, you're so right about taking out The Loop everytime we are going out. But then, I've been taking it out wit..."

Did you manage Atishay? That is why I plan a whole day of when I start reading his books. I drift away from this world when starting to read his books and if I would have to do other things that day...well I wouldn't realize in time.

message 36: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Jeane, you're now not just bamboozling people into read Evans on here, but also the families of GR members who may not be? Talk about striking them from every possible angle.

:P

message 37: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
But Fiona, it would be egoistic if I would keep all the good to myself and not let it reach other people... :-) (that was such a prefabricated sentence that I just wrote....).

message 38: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Thank you Atishay, Jeane, and Fiona for your congratulations on my new grandmother-to-be status. I think we're going to go with Gram or Grammy for my title. My daughter and her husband have legal custody of his niece and are raising her, too, and she has started calling me Gram. I, of course, love her dearly and will love her right along with my new grandchild. I'm just so excited that my baby is having a baby, and I will get to experience the whole process from pregnancy to birth and so on with her.

Atishay, I hope you are doing better than I am with The Loop. I am going to get some reading time in this afternoon for sure. I will, I will, I will.

message 39: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

I did, I did, I did !!!
I sprung out of my deadlock and read ONE page in bed, right before falling off to sleep (I was so tired :( ). How much did you read Kathy ?

message 40: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

And Gram sounds so nice Kathy, please do wish your daughter heartiest congratulations from all of us. And yeah, Horse Whisperer would make such a nice present as Jeane said. ;)

message 41: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Whats up Doc ?!
An apt reply Jeane, keep it up :D

message 42: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments LOL, Atishay! One page. With 500 pages and you've read 100, oops, 101 pages, you should finish by which year? Ha,ha. I managed to read 20 pages, but not nearly what I had hoped to. I fell asleep early, damn it. Someday someone in my family is going to take a picture of me after I've dropped off to sleep before I've actually settled down to do so. I will be sitting propped up in bed with a book on my lap, head lolled over to the side with drool gracing the side of my mouth. Isn't that a lovely visual? I am really going to try and get some serious reading done this weekend.

I rather like "Gram," too. It sometimes gets turned to "Grammy," but I like that, too, even though I'm not getting a music award. Keeping true to my book loving nature, I gave my daughter a basket full of books on pregnancy yesterday. I included one for her husband entitled My Boys Can Swim, thought he would get a kick out of that. I, also, included a book on a new baby coming into the house for Journie and a fiction book for her, too. I think I've mentioned Journie before. She is my son-in-law's niece that they have legal guardianship for and are trying to get full legal custody. My daughter and her husband are raising this wonderful 7-yr.-old whom I love dearly and consider a grandchild, too. I am just especially excited over my baby having her own baby and getting to see the whole process, from beginning to birth.

message 43: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Atishay wrote: "I did, I did, I did !!!
I sprung out of my deadlock and read ONE page in bed, right before falling off to sleep (I was so tired :( ). How much did you read Kathy ?"

Yahoo!!! Great. Nice last thought before falling asleep:-)

message 44: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Atishay, just read everytime you're sitting down. Read when you're eating, read on the bus, read on the loo there's no such thing as no time.

message 45: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "LOL, Atishay! One page. With 500 pages and you've read 100, oops, 101 pages, you should finish by which year? Ha,ha. I managed to read 20 pages, but not nearly what I had hoped to. I fell asle..."

How great Kathy!!!! I have never heard of anybody giving a basket with book for a pregnancy but I love the idea!!!!! Enjoy Grammy!!!! I recently found a way to have more to talk about to ...okay the girlfriend of my boyfriend's brother. She is I think like a year old or two maybe she just has the same age) and she has more to talk about with the sister of my boyfriend. She is really nice but I never managed to really have a loooong conversation. But since my last long period in Italy at my boyfriend's place, we saw more of each other and she gave me a wonderful book for my birthday. Before coming to Ireland I recommended her a book i was reading and she loved it. Now every mail we write to each other, there is at least something about books in!!!!

message 46: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Yeah you're right. All of you. I ought to read more, more and more. I'm planning to read a lot tomorrow as its gonna be a half day at the uni.

message 47: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Wow Kathy! A basket of books. It would be the greatest gift anyone could give me ! You deserve a Grammy !

message 48: by Atishay, The Brave (last edited Jan 16, 2009 11:55AM) (new)

Nice to see that you got a nice friend to talk to about books Jeane. Isn't it wonderful when books unite people so well?

message 49: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Of course, anytime that I can find an excuse to give my children books, I do. With the books I included a heart-shaped dish filled with dark chocolate Hershey kisses (my daughter loved that extra touch).

And, the good news is, Atishay, that you don't have to wait for someone else to give you a basket of books. For Christmas each year, I give myself a big ole bag of books, putting the giant sized bag beside the Christmas tree and going through it Christmas like I'd never seen them before.

Jeane, it is indeed nice to have a friend who likes to talk books. I must say, if I haven't already said it, that I am so jealous of you, Italy and now Ireland. I will live vicariously through you.

Fiona, keep cracking that whip. If Atishay starts reading more on The Loop, it will get me moving more on it, too. It's not that it isn't a great read, life has just conspired against my reading time lately.

message 50: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Atishay wrote: "Nice to see that you got a nice friend to talk to about books Jeane. Isn't it wonderful when books unite people so well?"

I wish I had more like that! Most like books but just norma;. She is as crazy as me. Okay, no. She is almost as crazy as me.

« previous 1 3 4 5