Christian Fiction Fans discussion

Anything important going on?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Mitchell | 177 comments Happy Birthday to everyone who has a birthday this month!
Happy Anniversary to anyone having one this month!

message 2: by Jean (new)

Jean Coleman | 89 comments Thoughts on the Newtown Tragedy on my Blog

I have just posted some thoughts about the Newtown School Tragedy on my Goodreads blog. You can read it by clicking on my little photo on the left and scrolling down to Jean Coleman's blog. What I have written I believe will touch your heart and perhaps give you a different perspective on the horrific event that took place at Sandy Hook School.Chapter 29 Revisited

message 3: by Jean (new)

Jean Coleman | 89 comments Why Did God Announce the Birth of Jesus to Shepherds?

Did you ever wonder why the announcement of Jesus' birth was made to the shepherds? Why didn't God send the angels to farmers or ditchdiggers or bakers? I believe that these shepherds were the ones who were in charge of the temple flock, the sheep who would be used as sacrificial lambs. They were the ones who inspected the sheep for spots and blemishes and looked to be sure they had no tumors or broken bones. Only perfect lambs could be offered as sacrifices. Consequently the Lord selected them to go to see the newborn babe who was destined to become the Lamb of God without spot or blemish and would be offered for the sin of the world. Behold the Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world. Just a little thought to ponder in your heart over Christmas. Blessings!

message 4: by Carlene (new)

Carlene Havel (chch) | 43 comments Another thought on this subject - if I understand correctly, shepherds were at the lowest stratum of the social order. The wise men were at the top. God send both groups an invitation--angels to the shepherds, a star to the maji--to signify that the birth of Jesus was for everyone, regardless of social position. I believe among His many other attributes,God is the supreme artist. He uses motifs and symbollism masterfully.

message 5: by Jean (last edited Dec 22, 2012 09:30AM) (new)

Jean Coleman | 89 comments Yes, that is also a wonderful way of looking at those who sought Jesus. And I am sure that you are familiar with the saying, "Wise men still seek him today." Did you know that the wise men DID NOT go to Bethlehem to see the baby in the manger? They are only seen there in our nativity scenes. A close study of the scriptures shows that forty days after the birth of Jesus when Mary's purification was complete, Mary and Joseph left Bethlehem to go to Jerusalem to dedicate Jesus to the Lord. They then returned from Jerusalem into Galilee to their own city Nazareth (Luke 2:39). The wise men took a long journey from their far off country and many months later arrived in Jerusalem seeking the child. Note that the king asked the wise men what time the star had appeared. Then King Herod after consulting with his scholars told them to go to Bethlehem (Matt.2:8)to search for the young child. But as they left the palace, the wise men saw the star again that they had seen in the east and followed the star until it (the star) came and stood over where the young child was (verse 9). When they came to the house, they saw the young child. Probably Jesus was at least a toddler because Herod ordered the children that were two years and under to be killed. A lot of tradition has crept into what we believe about Christmas. I'm a Bible teacher so forgive me for getting a little "teachy" on the scriptures. Glad to have you as a friend Carlene. You sound like a really nice person.

message 6: by Jean (new)

Jean Coleman | 89 comments It's our anniversary and I am remembering our wedding day! We eloped on a cold December Day. We were both too young to obtain a marriage license, so we lied about our ages. I got locked in the bathroom at the old courthouse in Wayneboro, Virginia and thought I was going to have to call the fire department to get out. Jack was so excited we were getting married that he ran into the car in front of him at a stop light. We arrived at the church twenty minutes late. Fortunately the minister was still there. The temperature in the church sanctuary where we were married was about 35 degrees. I was married in a mouton coat with the collar up. My hands were so cold that I dropped my engagement ring onto the floor and Jack and the minister crashed heads when they both bent down at the same time to pick it up. We had four friends who attended the wedding. One was Jack's old girl friend. The minister refused to take any money because Jack was just a poor private in the army. I was then expelled from my girls' college because no married women were allowed. And the end of the story is that we have lived happily ever after. P.S. My parents finally forgave us and God saved us!

message 7: by CarolynB (new)

CarolynB (carolynlb) | 36 comments Happy anniversary, Jean! What a story!

message 8: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Doherty | 11 comments Since this is a place for Christian Fiction Fans, I want to be sure you all know that the Grace Awards voting has begun! Grace Awards are for original novels presenting a Christian worldview written in English, published in hard cover, trade paperback, or in Ebook format. Traditional publishers, Small press, Indie publishers, self-published works. To us, Pbooks and Ebooks all compete on the same level playing field.

The novel must have been released between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012.

Go to the webpage for all the details, then vote for your favorites of 2012! http://graceawardsdotorg.wordpress.co...

message 9: by Jean (new)

Jean Coleman | 89 comments I see where 175 people have added my book to their shelf, but nobody is reading it. Isn't there somebody who wants to take it down from the shelf and read it? I can almost promise that you will be blessed by the testimony of how I met Jesus in 1972 and where He has brought me to today. You'll laugh and you'll probably shed a tear or two as you see that miracles can still happen today.Chapter 29 Revisited

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason Wellnitz | 4 comments Thanks for the heads-up on the Grace Awards Tammy. They look great.

I'm guest posting at the Food For The Hungry blog this month. Take a look:

http://blog.fh.org/2013/01/novelist-i...