Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > The Maui Quest

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 07, 2012 10:18AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6659 comments 9781477491225

Publisher is Create Space (is that not Amazon?) and not available elsewhere.

The Maui Quest
D.W.M. Beck
May 18, 2012
paperback (there is also a kindle edition)

"The island of Maui. A lost secret. An oral chant involving Captain Cook. A young man following the footsteps of his family around the island and into the past. Will Maui reveal her centuries-old secrets? Will Kai find what he seeks? In this thriller-travelogue, a young man's journey to deliver his father's ashes becomes a mad search when an oral chant suggests a valuable artifact may be hidden near an ancestral altar. As Kai races to find his family's sacred sites, he must navigate between the worlds of art theft, resort development, family secrets, and Hawaiian ethnic identity. The book is both the coming-of-age story of a young man, and the story of Maui itself --- the radical transformations of the culture, religion, and landscape of one of the world's most beloved islands."

This book was brought to my attention by a GR member who is a school librarian. One of her students is the author, together with his brother and mother.

However, the only location I can find is:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Maui-Quest-...

I checked a couple of major libraries, but as it is so newly published, probably is not yet shelved anywhere. I guess I don't know the policy for this situation, so am not just adding it.

message 2: by Amara (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) CreateSpace is an Amazon program, I believe.

But the information you listed in your post was supplied to you by the GR member, yes? If so, there's no reason you can't add it.

message 3: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 07, 2012 12:44PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6659 comments I got it from Amazon, but the GR member has it and would be glad to supply it. I'm not certain about the description, but since she received her book from one of the author's, I'm thinking this is the description provided by him.

In any case, thanks for the verification and I will jump through the hoops. Might have to add without a cover, but I'll try to get that too.

message 4: by Amara (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) In that case, I think it would be best to inform the GR member of the issue with Amazon/bookseller data (if you haven't already) and just ask her to supply what she can.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
Amara wrote: "CreateSpace is an Amazon program, I believe."

True, but we would use CreateSpace as the publisher -- because they are.

message 6: by Amara (last edited Jun 07, 2012 01:22PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) rivka wrote: "Amara wrote: "CreateSpace is an Amazon program, I believe."

True, but we would use CreateSpace as the publisher -- because they are."

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to imply otherwise; just to confirm the connection between the program/company. :)

Although, come to think of it, your comment reminded me of a question I'd wondered on the subject of self-publishing services like CreateSpace, Lulu, and Smashwords.

I've seen at least a few Smashwords books with "[author's name] via Smashwords" in the publisher line. (There may or may not be CreateSpace, Lulu, etc. books with similiar treatment; I don't can't recall off the top of my head having seen any.) Is it best to remove the "[author's name] via" from the publisher line and just leave Smashwords, or is that way acceptable, too?

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
I didn't think you were. Just clarifying. :)

Amara wrote: "Is it best to remove the "[author's name] via" from the publisher line and just leave Smashwords"

That's what I do, but only if I'm editing the book anyway. I don't think it matters enough to go looking for those.

message 8: by Amara (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) Okay, thanks. :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6659 comments Just an update, and thanks, everyone. All that I have posted has been confirmed by the GR friend, and she will get me a scanned copy of the cover.