Weekly Short Stories Contest and Company! discussion

Weekly Poetry Stuffage > Week 125 (June 7th - June 14th) Poems: Summer Festival DONE!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 114 (114 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments You have until June 14th to post a poem and between May 15th and 16th we’ll vote for which one we thought was best — or maybe just enjoyed the most.

Please post directly into the topic and not a link and do not use a poem previously used in this group.

Please keep your poem to LESS THAN 3,500 words long.

REMEMBER! A poem can take any size shape form.

This week’s topic is: Summer Festival

The rules are pretty loose. You could write a poem about anything that has to do with the subject. I do not care, but it must relate to the story somehow.

Have fun

message 2: by Christa VG (last edited Jun 07, 2012 12:14PM) (new)

Christa VG (christa-ronpaul2012) Sorry I didn't post a poem last week, I had not inspiration. Here is mine for this week.

A Realization too Late

Music fills the still air
Songs bringing back memory's
Terror takes me captive
And quietly I flee

The lights whirl around me
Colors flashing by
And despair fill my heart
For no one can hear my cry

Black all around me
Why did I awake
Another day of foreboding
Another day of pain.

My wrist are rubbed raw
The chains biting deep
My blood splashed everywhere
But still no one see's my fate
Still no one hears.

Will no one save me
Please someone come.
But they cannot hear me
And I do what must be done.

I awake in a place I never knew existed
and now I see my flaws

But it is too late to change my life
I have tarried too long
And to this place of evil
Is now where I now belong.

I cried aloud to those up above
“It is unfair to give me such luck"
"Then treat me as though I were dust”

What evil did I do,
To deserve such a fate.
Will you not let me come up?
Will you not open the gate?

The words came back
and I knew I deserved them
I shunned the way to life
And so I spurned Him

If only I could go back
And lie in dungeons deep
Only one more day of suffering
And my payment would have been complete.

But I would not heed the warning
To the words of life I was blind
And now I must suffer silently
Because God was there all the time.

message 3: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments I didn't post a story last week either.

That's an amazing, well crafted, and deeply important poem. I have literally only one problem with it: What does it have to do with Summer Festival?

message 4: by Christa VG (last edited Jun 07, 2012 01:55PM) (new)

Christa VG (christa-ronpaul2012) Well the story starts at a carnivel which is sort of a Festival, thats what the light and music is, they are suppose to be coming from the rides. She was kidknapped at the carnival. She gives up hope of ever being rescued so she kills herself and wakes up in hell only to find out that if she had held on a day longer she would have been rescued and might be spared her fate.

message 5: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Oh ... right. Music and flashing lights. I thought that was some sort of concussion or dehydration induced hallucination.

Well then ... flawless.

message 6: by Christa VG (new)

Christa VG (christa-ronpaul2012) Thank you.

message 7: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Hmmm. It's going to be hard for me to come up with a poem for this one. *drums fingers on keyboard* Well hopefully the next time I come to this thread I'll have a poem to post.

message 8: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Christa - Ron Paul 2012 wrote: "Sorry I didn't post a poem last week, I had not inspiration. Here is mine for this week.

A Realization too Late

Music fills the still air
Songs bringing back memory's
Terror takes me captive
And..."

This is very nice. Confusing to me considering I only read it once, but I'm sure after another read it will click. Anyways, I like it.

€ℒᓰzᗩßℯЋ ツ Oh snap...I don't know what to write D:

message 10: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments I'm having the same problem. Everything I think of is cheesy

€ℒᓰzᗩßℯЋ ツ Yea, me too. Crap...this has never happened on this group :P Usually I can write it in 5 minutes and be done.

message 12: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments This happens to me a lot. I have an old poem I might recycle to make suitable for this topic.. Hmmmmm

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Okay. I wrote this last night and fixed it up today. Hopefully, it's half way decent. I apologize if it isn't.

High Maintenance Corpse

Will you cry for me?
Will you pause to think,
not only you need the tears?

Rain pelts the summer festival
Mud splashed on carriage wheels
Dirt caked travelers' shoes
It breathed life into the very atmosphere

Now, red paints the streets
It runs bright through mud and rain
It stains the travelers' shoes

Flies populate the air
But hands do not wave them away
A rotten stench sends scares scavengers

Crickets can be heard
Crows circle overhead
And the sky continues to cry

For no one cries for the dead
Oh, they cry for themselves
For it is the living, they think, who suffer

Selfish it may be
But no one cries for the dead
Dark, stormy skies know of the injustice

So the rain pours in heavy sheets
The summer festival died in haste
And the living abandoned me

But no one stopped to cry for me
They denied their tears
And now the sky must cry

message 14: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Wow. Nice one!

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Thanks!

message 16: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Also gave me the inspiration needed to write a poem. Though it's odd that your poem prompted mine yet mine turned out to be completely different than yours... Hm. I won't question it.

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Haha. You take what you can get, right? It's funny how that tends to happen when you start a project prompted by something someone else wrote.

message 18: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Yeah. You know, I'm going through my bookshelf to see what books I've forgotten to put on goodreads and there are more than I expected!!

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments I have tons of books to read....

message 20: by Cheyenne (last edited Jun 08, 2012 03:53PM) (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments I have a few. Binh (my boyfriend) gave me a book like eight months ago to read, but I found out it's the sequel to a series. I can't find the first one anywhere which sucks because the 2nd actually looks pretty good.

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments You could always try reading the second book anyway.

message 22: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Albert: Uh oh.
Me: HUSH!

I hate reading books out of order. I don't know why, but it ruffles my feathers. Reading a series out of order is somewhere close to impaling puppies on my list of horrifying things someone could do.

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments I don't like reading things out of order either. But if you can't find the first book....

message 24: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Speaking of reading, I've got a book calling my name.

Albert: And a poem to revise.
Me:........

I'll probably be back on here sometime later today though. Bye! :)

message 25: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Stephanie wrote: "I don't like reading things out of order either. But if you can't find the first book...."

Yeah if I end up not being able to get it anywhere I might end up reading the second one. But hopefully I'll be able to find the first.

€ℒᓰzᗩßℯЋ ツ Shoot, I still need to write this :P

message 27: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments :)

message 28: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments I looked at my poems for this week and they prompted me back on here for some advice... Stephanie I sent you a message :)

message 29: by Stephanie (last edited Jun 08, 2012 04:28PM) (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Yup. Saw it. And answered.

message 30: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Thanks!

message 31: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments No problem!

message 32: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Stephanie wrote: "I have tons of books to read...."

I have five on a single subject. Additionally, three fiction books, a magazine, two languages books, and one more non-fiction. That's eleven books and a magazine ... This is going to be exhausting.

message 33: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Excellent poem, Stephanie.

message 34: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Wow. Can't say I can top that. I'm "curently reading" eight books and have two other books I've promised to review. Then there's the other books I want to read on top of that. Like the one my mom bought for me that I still haven't read....

message 35: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Thanks, Edward!

message 36: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Edward wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "I have tons of books to read...."

I have five on a single subject. Additionally, three fiction books, a magazine, two languages books, and one more non-fiction. That's eleven ..."

Heheh. Bet I can top it. I have about five books in my room I have to read, many on my sister-in-law's shelf I need to read, I need to work on my sci-fi book, I need to edit my fantasy book, and I have to read, summarize, and write a paper analyzing ten different articles. The majority of these things need to be done before the end of summer... *big sigh*

message 37: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Oh, are we counting writing projects too? In that case....

message 38: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Stephanie wrote: "Oh, are we counting writing projects too? In that case...."

Ditto. I'm still working on After Dark, I have to start a rigorous fitness program, get a job, and work on a complex project with my friends.

message 39: by Stephanie (last edited Jun 08, 2012 05:43PM) (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments I have to finish editing Project: Darkness, keep rewriting a query letter until it's perfect, find a job, write several papers, study for the SATs, write my novel for this month, do some church stuff, and finish at least four classes this summer.

message 40: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments I wrote a thousand words of nothing today. It was sad.

So ... good luck to us all. Maybe we should stop distracting each other so much.

message 41: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Oh for me that was just everything that has to do with reading. I also have an a**ton of vocabulary words I've got to define, make the final decision on self publishing vs traditional, and make the needed measurements. And I need to get a job, get in my fifty hours of driving so I can get my license, and probably a lot more that I can't remember. But I waste most of my time on goodreads instead of getting stuff done...heheh

message 42: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Hah. I haven't even reached 1000 words yet today. Perhaps we should stop distracting each other....

Oh, yes, driving. I have yet to study for my permit.

message 43: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments License? Permit? What nonsense is this?

message 44: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Haha

message 45: by Cheyenne (last edited Jun 08, 2012 06:57PM) (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Nonsense? Pfft. I get my first driving lesson on sunday, and then I can start driving! The funny part is that I got my permit like two or three weeks ago....

I for one, am excited to start driving. The next step is to get a job, save money, get a car and my freedom increases tremendously.

message 46: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments I hate driving. Passionately. The cruelest fact of the modern world is that it is virtually impossible to establish an acceptable life without learning to drive.

Guess I'll have to establish an unacceptable life.

message 47: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments Lol. I want to learn to drive but I don't want to have to study....

message 48: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Really? Hm. Odd.

Stephanie, how many questions are on the permit test where you live?

message 49: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (chasmofbooks) | 2875 comments I think it's like 40 or something like that. I don't know for sure.

message 50: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 815 comments Here everyone says it's 46, but I think mine only had 42. How many are you allowed to miss? You can miss 8 in Cali.

« previous 1 3