Harker Heights Public Library Teens discussion

Dystopia

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa Delaine (new)

Lisa Delaine Youngblood (lyoungblood) | 27 comments Mod
Dystopian societies are all the rage in young adult and adult literature. A dystopian society is one in which the majority of the population is repressed physically, emotionally, and/or financially. Usually hunger and poverty are common in these worlds. One small sect of individuals are generally in charge and live a far different and more pleasant life. What are your favorite dystopian novels? Why is dystopia so popular now? What are some older dystopian favorites?

message 2: by Lisa Delaine (new)

Lisa Delaine Youngblood (lyoungblood) | 27 comments Mod
We cannot talk about dystopian novels without mentioning Hunger Games. This novel depicts one of the most obvious dystopias I have ever read. The incredibly small ruling class represses all other areas. While the Capitol boasts of affluence and luxury, all other districts (some more than others) are kept in poverty and constant hunger. Control is the central theme of this book in which all sides attempt to influence, corrupt, and control the others. What do you think?

message 3: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 5 comments So far, I have not had good luck with finding a good dystopia. I read Matched and was annoyed and Shatter Me and was annoyed. I am going to read The Hunger Games series, so that might end up being the first one I like (keeping fingers crossed).