Beantown Bookworms discussion

Summer Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 7 comments Hey guys- I am gearing up for a vacation next month and am looking for some recommendations for good summer reads. Preferably quick, fun reads, nothing too heavy or processy.

message 2: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (bawidget) Last Summer I was all over books by Sarah Addison Allen. Allen's novels are quick and girly without being as heavy as let's say Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells
Garden Spells and the girl who chased the moon would be my top, summer recs from her.

What was your last favorite, Summer read? It might help me to suggest some more. :) Hope you're having a good Summer so far!

message 3: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 7 comments Boston folks, I just want to say "thank you" for all your suggestions! My sisters and I had an AWESOME trip to Boston. What a great place!!!! We did Freedom Trail, USS Constitution, a Whale Watch, JFK Museum, MFA, Prudential, tons of shopping, and tons of eating. The people in Boston were GREAT! The Back Bay Hotel was excellent, and we were sad to go home. I can't say that about all my vacations. So I want to say thank you, and I'm forever a fan of the City of Boston!
Jenna and her sisters from the Midwest

message 4: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (bawidget) Jenna wrote: "Boston folks, I just want to say "thank you" for all your suggestions! My sisters and I had an AWESOME trip to Boston. What a great place!!!! We did Freedom Trail, USS Constitution, a Whale Watc..."

Jenna I'm so happy you all had a good time! You'll have to come back in the Fall sometime when the leaves change! Happy reading!

~Bridget

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (acctnt_shan) I'm going to revive this thread because I'm leaving on vacation Saturday and would love to find a new book to take to the beach with me! I'm going to copy & paste an email I sent to a work group for suggestions because I'm too lazy to type it all up again, haha.

"I’m going on vacation next week and of course will grab any excuse to buy a new book! Can you guys offer up some recommendations?

Since this will be a beach read, I want something that’s a page turner with some length to get me through a week of mostly down time (however buying a couple shorter novels is not out of the question) – usually when I’m on vacation I pick something that will take me away and absorb me into its plot/characters. Genre is fairly open, although I would prefer to stay within the confines of fiction.

Ideally I want something already available in paperback, since it’ll be coming in the sand with me!

Thanks!"

message 6: by Nancy (last edited Jul 25, 2014 10:14AM) (new)

Nancy (nancy_m) I highly recommend

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

If you can handle lugging around a heavy-ish book then House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

If you like biographies, there's a good one about Margaret Fuller.

Edited to add: Anything by Jasper Fforde. Nursery Crimes series or Thursday Next are great, fun reads.

How about Fantasy/Sci-Fi? There's a trilogy called Wool that's interesting.

Or you could go Young Adult - The Hunger Games + its two sequels.

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (acctnt_shan) Awesome, thanks! I'll check those out.

I had actually just added Wool to my list recently based on another's recommendation. :)