Karen Chance Fans discussion

Richelle Mead
This topic is about Richelle Mead
Book Corner > Richelle Mead Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 421 (421 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Lannister (new)

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 10911 comments This thread is for the discussion of the Dark Swan series by Richelle Mead. The first book is Storm Born.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on the books here.

message 2: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (new)

Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥  (mylheage) | 6029 comments Mod
Thanks for starting the thread, Lannister.

I've only read a small part of Storm Born. Not enough to already say anything. LOL

message 3: by Jax (new)

Jax | 831 comments I'll wait and see what others have to say (that way I can see more or less how far you guys have read) before I add my 2 cents... :D

message 4: by Lannister (new)

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 10911 comments I'll get started tomorrow. Should finish Night Shift tonight (have only 20 pages or so left to read). I'll probably get a fair bit of reading done tomorrow afternoon, since I'm having a lazy day!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm starting Storm Born today, should finish it today - provided I can keep trouble at bay. ;-)

message 7: by Lannister (new)

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 10911 comments Thanks Mello :)

message 8: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (last edited Jun 08, 2012 10:47AM) (new)

I'm in the middle of chapter 4.

So far I really like it. The possessed shoe was funny and that Wil guy cracked me up. I'd like to see more of him but have a feeling his stoy is only a means in this book to get Eugenie into the Otherworld.

I don't really understand how the whole entering different worlds works but I guess we'll see more of that in the series.

One thing... I'm not sure if she is human or something else. But I really hope her father is not some supernatural being and we get the usual human-turned-immortal plot device at the end.

I met Kiyo!!! OMG! He is hot! Half-Japanese, likes animals, is rough/dominant in bed... Please sign me up! Btw, Eugenie, don't do that 'surrender to me' shit ever again with him!!!

I really hope Jasmine will be saved!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm halfway through the book - I won't give anything away, but I figured out long ago that she's more than she appears. It just follows that the heroine always has to be something more just for the mileage.

message 10: by Tangled (new)

Tangled  Speculation (TangledSpec) | 36 comments I really liked this series. The heroine is funny and tough, and the world is interesting. I remember really liking Kiyo when she first met him too. He's sexy, sweet and heroic. What could go wrong?

message 11: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (new)

Post your thoughts, Duane.

Maybe at the top of our comments we can post how far we've read. Then those who don't want spoilers can avoid them.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 08, 2012 02:22PM) (new)

Well, I'm done with the book. I have many thoughts, and some issues, but I am hesitant to post them yet as it's more fun when we're "all on the same page." I will say this, (view spoiler)

message 13: by Tangled (new)

Tangled  Speculation (TangledSpec) | 36 comments Duane wrote: "Well, I'm done with the book. I have many thoughts, and some issues, but I am hesitant to post them yet as it's more fun when we're "all on the same page." I will say this, [spoilers removed]"

I agree with you at the end of this book. Our heroine isn't always perfect either. :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

@Tangled - I agree with you, and I would like to delve deeper into her issues as well - I am just hesitant to do so until everyone is ready; while I love to argue and state my princely views, I already talk to myself enough! And I must admit, I don't always see things in the same light as others - my myopic sight sometimes makes me fixate on things that are maybe not as important as others.

message 15: by Lannister (new)

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 10911 comments I'm starting shortly. Haven't read any comments yet, but will check in again later this afternoon with my thoughts. I'm having a Kindle and Couch day! :)

message 16: by Tangled (new)

Tangled  Speculation (TangledSpec) | 36 comments Duane wrote: "@Tangled - I agree with you, and I would like to delve deeper into her issues as well - I am just hesitant to do so until everyone is ready; while I love to argue and state my princely views, I alr..."

In other words, you are human?

We'll just wait for the group to catch up.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

@Tangled - Nice of you to think so! LOL!

message 18: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (last edited Jun 10, 2012 01:37PM) (new)

I read up to chapter 14.

I like the Otherworld so much with it's different landscapes. I also love the idea that it is changed by the mood of the King. That's how I understood it when they were talking about Dorian.

That Eugenie is the Storm King's daughter wasn't a surprise. Dorian's and especially Gawyn's (sp) comments made it pretty clear. Well, looks like the human - immortal dilemma for the unavoidable HEA is already solved.

The sidekicks are so funny. I love Volusian, especially when he explains how he wants to kill Eugenie. I hope we see lots more of him throughout the series.

I don't really like that it's not only the wish to procreate but suddenly also Eugenie's looks that make the gentry want her. I don't like stories where every male wants the heroine because she's so beautiful.

Kiyo is a kitsune, how cool! I like shifters but have never read about a fox. Very interesting. Wonder how he met Maiwenn. Not sure what I think of her so far.

But I really like the story.

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2012 comments I'm happy to see that someone else loves Volusian. He is awesome.

message 20: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6376 comments I love this series. I'll reread it with you guys!

message 21: by Tangled (new)

Tangled  Speculation (TangledSpec) | 36 comments Volusian is great. You know exactly where you stand with him--and objectively his advice is awesome.

message 22: by Lannister (new)

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 10911 comments I can't remember what chapter I'm up to, but I'm about 75% through. Spoilers ahead ....

So far, I'm really enjoying it. It's a lot better than I thought it would be. I like the two love interests, though I think I'm slightly more on Dorian's side right now (mostly cos he's into tying her up with intricate knots and weaves - it sounds so much fun LOL!)

So how do we all feel about Kiyo knocking up Maiwenn? Do you think he's trust-worthy? Do you think Eugenie and Maiwenn will come to blows eventually? Kiyo might be quite torn if he had to take sides.

I like Dorian because his motivations are a little murky too. I think he's mostly keeping in with Eugenie in the hope that he can win her over to his side, and she seems to be getting a taste for the power, but I can't see her ever turning her back on the human race. I think Dorian makes a good friend, but he could be a bad enemy and I wonder if they'll have a fall out possibly a book or two down the line.

I like characters where their motivations and their morals aren't always clear-cut. It makes for a far more interesting read.

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 11, 2012 03:59AM) (new)

First, let me say I like the story. I will read all the books in the series as the series itself is not bad. The world building seems to follow what is laid out by others on how the Fae world relates to the rulers feelings. I would also like to see how the characters develop.

Volusian is the best character in the book - I'm not sure what that says about the rest of the cast, but that is my opinion. He states what he believes, and he offers Eugenie sound advise - she would do well to take it.

And yes, we all knew that Eugenie would turn out to be the Storm King's daughter. As soon as I read the part where Dorian is talking about this great ruler, I knew he was the long lost father.

I guess two things that bothers me most about this book are:

1) It is now just one more Fae tale of "girl having to produce an heir before the other sister/brother/cousin in order to stay on top" scenario setup in numerous other books. In fact, it seems almost a ripoff of the Merry Gentry ultimate plot.

2) Why is it that no matter how much shit the heroine gets shoved in her face by her man/boyfriend/whatever she continues to "love" him and keep him. Do I misunderstand human nature that much? Or do I just misunderstand women that much. And let's not start the "oh - she's only half-human" schtick - she was raised by human parents strickly as a human - she only knows human feelings. She had no Fae teachings to fall back on as far as how being treated like a dolt, lied to, and generally misled is genetically acceptable in the Fae. Somewhere along the line the girl has to say - "Screw this, I like myself (or respect myself) too much to keep this asshat!" Or maybe not - it seems to be a theme in various series.

And I have to agree with Sarah - why can't the heroine ever be homely or, dare I say it, ugly? Everyone wants to jump a gorgeous person, and throw in power as the icing on the cake? Yeehaw.

Also @Sarah - there are numerous series with Kitsune as either a major role, or just a character in a one book entry - October Daye comes to mind as a series with a Kitsune in a major role. Most Kitsune are female type units, so I guess Richelle threw us a curve with a male Kitsune. But then I have to wonder - where are the tails? Kitsune's power as reflected in the number of tails they have, ranging from 1 to, I believe, 9. If Kiyo has any amount of power, which is indicated by his abilities, then why only 1 tail?

And at the risk of sounding like a dolt, I take it "HEA" is the old "Happily Ever After" acronym?

message 24: by Jax (new)

Jax | 831 comments Okay, I'm still reading through the posts...

However just one thing... Sarah...
Its not so much her Beauty that attracts the fey...
As far as I recall from when I read it, the Fey women aren't exactly curvy... so its more the human form which is attractive to them, as humans actually have boobs and butts! LOL....
Other than that, I'm sure they'd all be happier killing her than mating (if not for the appeal of said procreation...) :D

message 25: by Jax (new)

Jax | 831 comments Alrighty then! lets see if I can respond without too many spoilers for the rest of the books!! :D

I have to agree with everyone so far on Volusian - I Adored him from the start! Without giving anything away, we do get more info on during the series, which only made me love him more!!!

Duane: on issue # 1 - I won't give anything away - but there is a nifty twist coming up in the series.. be patient! :D

Issue 2 - I must agree with you on this one... it kind of annoyed me! But as it seems to be a theme throught the numerous UF and Paranormal books I've read - I try to overlook it as much as possible.
I can tell you though, that I would have helped them get smacked in the ass by the door on the way out! I have no idea why they put up with the crap!!!

As for the homely heroine... I didn't see Eugenie as some great beauty - in this case, we should take into account that the Fey have been "sneaking" into "our" world for a while and raping or conning human women into having sex with them... so I felt it was more the human side they fancied, and not so much Eugenie herself.

Lannister - on the issue of Kiyo - I found he irritated me from pretty early on. Why Eugenie put up with his crap I have no idea... I had no issue with his knocking Maiwenne up - but that he kept running back even though it was "over" seriously pissed me off... LOL (I know, I'm an insensitive bitch... what can I say??)

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2012 comments @Duane Yeah, that's what HEA stands for. I get what you mean about the Kitsune and their tails, too. Not sure why Kiyo only has the one.

I hadn't thought about the similarities to the Merry Gentry plot when I first read this. It had been a while since I'd read Merry by the time I'd gotten to this series. I never would have even thought about it if you hadn't pointed it out.

I am totally loving the appreciation of Volusian. He's the most honest person there is. Even if he mostly just wants to kill Eugenie. But if I were Volusian, I'd want to kill her, too.

@Lannister I'm with you on Dorian. I was always firmly in Camp Dorian. Kiyo should have brought up that whole situation with Maiwenn earlier. That's some secret to be keeping to yourself.

message 27: by Lannister (new)

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 10911 comments I agree with everyone else, that it was fairly obvious early on that Eugenie's father was going to be important, then as soon as the Storm Lord got mentioned, it was obvious that was him!

I'm curious about the whole heir thing, and the fact that it's been mentioned about 20 times that Eugenie's on the pill. I feel like this is building toward something. Knowing damn all about Fae DNA, is it possible that the human pill might have no effect on Fae sperm? Could it be totally different biologically? I feel that there is some greater significance to this whole storyline.

Duane, on your second point, I don't understand either why some women behave this way. If a guy will lie or conceal stuff, he just ain't that trustworthy. And if he's lying to you now, it's probably only going to get worse as your relationship develops. But hey if he's hot, it's OK, right??

I like Kiyo, but I agree with Mello. Not telling your new girlfriend that your old girlfriend is preggers is pretty bad.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

@Lannister - worse than that, Kiyo's always popping over to see the ex. I'm not real forgiving, so were I the chick I'd have to say "don't bother coming back!" I don't care what anyone says, no sex is that good.

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2012 comments I never understood why she was so willing to put up with that after she found out the truth.

message 30: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6376 comments I'm rereading, and trying to remember my thoughts through the point I'm reading. (I'm gonna start making notes in my kindle lol)

reread through chapter 9:(view spoiler)

The nerd in me loved this line, "If only our kind had some sort of scholarly journal. The Journal of Shamanic Assassination and Otherworldly Encounters. I could have used this “research” to write a compelling article to share with my fellow professionals."

message 31: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6376 comments Eugenie is a strong character, but she is ruled by her emotions. She makes decisions based on how she feels. She "hates the gentry", etc. Many a strong women are like that--growing up usually curbs that problem. But Eugenie is not there yet. It is annoying, but it makes sense why she puts up with Kiyo so much. and why she tries to hold off Dorian when she clearly likes him :)

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I dunno - I'm halfway through book two and my head hurts from banging it on the wall. I'll say it again - "NO SEX IS THAT GOOD!" I'm beginning to serious dislike Euginie and her needy antics. I think she must be brain-damaged. At least Dorian offers her training along with the sex, all Kiyo offers is, well, nothing! He just expects gratification in between popping over to see his ex.

message 33: by Lannister (new)

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 10911 comments Aw, no love for Kiyo!! :D

I think if it were only sex with no strings, it wouldn't be so bad, but Eugenie does seem to start becoming emotionally involved with him. And it's risky for her, more risky than Dorian.

I like how Eugenie is having to confront her prejudices against the gentry. It's quite interesting to see how she has to reassess as she realises that Dorian isn't as awful as she thought. I'm not certain that I would let him tie me up if I were in her shoes, cos there is a lot of implied trust there. At least she realises that Dorian has more to lose by breaking her trust, instead of just going "I hate the Gentry". I do have an awful feeling that things might blow up in her face at some point down the line, given that he wants to destroy the world.

message 34: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6376 comments Dorian can tie me up whenever he wants . . . . lol

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2012 comments Zeenat wrote: "Dorian can tie me up whenever he wants . . . . lol"

Dorian ftw!

I so can't wait for you guys to get to a certain point. I don't blame Duane for his frustrations over Eugenie's actions. She made me feel the same way quite often.

message 36: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (new)

Lannister wrote: "Aw, no love for Kiyo!! :D"

I love Kiyo!!!

message 37: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6376 comments Mello luvs Gin, Illium & Jaqen J'ghar wrote: "Zeenat wrote: "Dorian can tie me up whenever he wants . . . . lol"

Dorian ftw!

I so can't wait for you guys to get to a certain point. I don't blame Duane for his frustrations over Eugenie's acti..."

lol Mello I'm with you. I read the whole series ;) I like watching people reading stuff I already have . . . it's like watching myself read it all over again.

message 38: by Missdevora (new)

Missdevora | 2142 comments Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ wrote: "Lannister wrote: "Aw, no love for Kiyo!! :D"

I love Kiyo!!!"

Me too, especially in fox form. Do you think he's 'cute'?

message 39: by Missdevora (new)

Missdevora | 2142 comments I finished the 1st and 2nd books and I'm starting the 3rd. No worries I won't say things out of the 1st...

I see that most of you like Volusian, too bad he's a bit spooky, but he also gives fantastic advice about almost everyting and I like the way he describes how he will end his mistress. He's a fabulous character!

Kiyo is sexy, handsome, funny and almost perfect. Almost is because of his nature as a fox. He does or says (or doesn't say) sth and if it suits him he runs or evades, but as it seems natural for him to come back, smile and be forgiven because he's hot and confident and the hero.

Dorian knows what he wants and says so, subtly, with half lies but in the end you could know where his mind goes.

Q. Who do you think was the spirit that gave Will the info about Jasmine?

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmm, crazy like a fox! Maybe I can use that excuse when I knocking up the neighborhood. ;-)

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2012 comments Zeenat wrote: "lol Mello I'm with you. I read the whole series ;) I like watching people reading stuff I already have . . . it's like watching myself read it all over again."

It is like that. I'm actually getting a kick out of this.

message 42: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (last edited Jun 11, 2012 12:27PM) (new)

I don't get either why Kiyo only has one tail. Maybe MR just wanted a shifter and thought a fox/kitsune would fit since he is half-Japanese but didn't want to delve too deep into the mythology.

At first I didn't know what to think of Dorian. Some moments he was funny but others I found him kind of ridiculous. Like some caricature cartoon fea/prince. But he grows on me. I imagine his bondage techinques like shibari which is cool.

So far I think Eugenie is a pretty good heroine but there was one incident when I wanted to slap her. I really hated it that the moment she and Kiyo had trouble/broke up, she was ready to sleep with Dorian. Yeah, she said it was because of Jasmine as well but she also mentioned Kiyo and that it was to get back at him. Sorry, but what a bitch she was there!!! In addition she only wanted to rely on the pill! I know there wouldn't have been a condom at hand but still. And wasn't it that special Beltane night? Seriously, I didn't like her in that scene.

I'm a bit irritated that the pill is mentioned like a gazillion times. What is up with that? I hope Eugenie doesn't forget it one day and gets pregnant! I think if I were her, I'd get my uterus ripped out to prevent the human world from getting conquered.

I also seem to be the only one who is not that pissed at Kiyo. Sure, he lied and I would be mad as well but he seems to really regret it. I would give him a second chance. What was he supposed to say when they first met: "Hi, I'm Kiyo. I'm a kitsune and my ex is pregnant." I really don't think he is that bad.

I'm still kind of WTF about the fae thinking she is hot. I know what you mean, Jax. But shouldn't some of them have already seen a human female. Why the "after they've seen you" comment? It still sounds to me as if Eugenie is more pretty than others.

Am I the only one who is not happy that Dorian said she'll be more powerful than everyone else? Why does the hero/heroine always have to be the best of them all? I really hope someone else stays stronger than her.

I find Rurik kind of hot.

message 43: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6376 comments (through the first book spoilers)
I don't think she is just hot. The fact that she is the storm king's daughter makes her hot to the nth power.

You know, I kinda like Rurik too. If you ignore the whole rape thing, lol when he put her on his horse I was like "oooooh potential love interest?" but by the end of book 1 I thought he was too small of a character to be a love interest.

message 44: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6376 comments spoiler for whole series: (view spoiler)

Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru | 2012 comments You're right about that, Zeenat. It's why that decision that makes me angry was made. I understand it, but it still makes me angry.

message 46: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (lacr1mation) I finished the 2nd book a couple days ago. I am not a Kiyo fan. Mostly because (view spoiler)
I enjoy demon guy that name begins w/ a V as well. (I listened on audio. I dunno how to spell it.) I also, like whatshername...She's the captain of the guard for Dorian... starts w/ an S... I dunno. You get a better feel for her in book 2.
Ya know, this is just a really weird series. Especially w/ the potential rape scenarios. I may start book 3 tomorrow. Book ADD permitting, of course.

message 47: by Jax (new)

Jax | 831 comments LOL - Definitely NOT a lot of love for Kiyo!!
Not that I'm complaining - I wasn't a big fan myself when I read the books... He was just too obstinate, opinionated, and judgemental... not to mention having double standards... :D

Duane - go easy on the wall - your head too! LOL...
I feel I should let you know that Eugenie does eventually come to her senses - But it really does take a while... It was one of her less appealing qualities...

I see no one has anything to say about Jasmine yet?

message 48: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (last edited Jun 12, 2012 03:57AM) (new)

Zeenat wrote: "You know, I kinda like Rurik too. If you ignore the whole rape thing, lol when he put her on his horse I was like "oooooh potential love interest?" but by the end of book 1 I thought he was too small of a character to be a love interest."

When I read that scene I thought "I wouldn't mind being on that horse with him." ;-)

Maggie wrote: "I enjoy demon guy that name begins w/ a V as well. (I listened on audio. I dunno how to spell it.) I also, like whatshername...She's the captain of the guard for Dorian... starts w/ an S... I dunno."

You mean Volusian and Shaya. I think that was her name. I like both. Her power made me think of the Ents of the Lord of the Rings. LOL I love how loyal she is but have a feeling she might die later in the series.

Jax wrote: "I see no one has anything to say about Jasmine yet?"

She is a psycho. In the beginning I felt sorry for her but when I got to know who she is and what she did, I hated her. I hope she gets killed later.

Eugenie is cool 80% of the time but I'm so pissed that she slept with Dorian. I know Kiyo didn't tell her about the baby but she had sex with another guy. WTF! And it wasn't only because of Jasmine! Argh, I hope he doesn't forgive her for that. Bitch!

Btw, she's not that bright sometimes. When Dorian asked her to put the hand in the earth after killing Aeson it was so clear what was happening, also the guards then fighting for her. But she seemed to have no clue.

It was cool how they attacked Aeson with Shaya's trees and then Eugenie calling the liquid part of his body to her. I liked that!

message 49: by Jax (new)

Jax | 831 comments Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ wrote: "I'm so pissed that she slept with Dorian"

LOL - I was actually rootin' for Dorian... I'd already decided Kiyo needed to go by that point... so I wasn't miffed...
And you can't really hold too much against Eugenie, as Kiyo keeps a LOT of things from her...

On Jasmine's side - I was highly amused - it takes sybling rivalry to a whole new level! LOL... but she got on my nerves a bit... (I say a bit because I took into account she's a 16 year old girl with issues...lol) but I'd have to agree - definitely psycho genes at play there! :D

message 50: by Missdevora (new)

Missdevora | 2142 comments What do you think about the journey Eugenie made after Kiyo? Especially the vision in front of the army?

Jax wrote: "I see no one has anything to say about Jasmine yet?"

First I felt bad for her, being kidnapped and suffering the same as Eug's mom, but then seeing her side by side with the Aeson and wanting to fullify the prophecy I began to hate her!
Probably she wanted to stay in the Otherworld because of the attencion she recives and as a form of evasion from her paranoic brother and school. Or maybe it's just a age thing and this is how she found a way to rebel saying " Hey! Look at me! I have powers, I am a princess, the king loves me and you cannot do anything to stop me!"

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9