The Sword and Laser discussion

Movie/TV Book Covers

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alu (new)

Alu (aluhealz) I'm not sure if this is an older topic that has been covered before but I'm actually really curious.

When I get a book I go out of my way to avoid getting a cover with an image from a movie or Tv series version of it. I'm not sure why exactly, I just really don't like them. Like for instance, I started reading ASOIAF before I had even heard of the Tv series. I borrowed them from a friend. I realized this was a series I really wanted to own for myself. Shortly after deciding this the show was in full promotion. Then when it started we had tons of the books in the Target where I work all of them were cover images from the show or " Now a series on HBO" (which counts as the samebthing to me). I've been trying for months now to find older covers at different used stores. So far I have the book 4 left since I need to wait for the paperback of the last one anyways.

For me that's with any book. I just won't get it usually if I can't get a "clean" cover.

So I wanted to know how others felt on this topic. Do any of you do the same? If so what are your reasons behind it?

message 2: by Andy (last edited Jun 07, 2012 07:46AM) (new)

Andy (andy_m) | 311 comments I agree with you. I avoid the "tv/movie" version of books.

I feel like getting those books buys into the fanfare of the movie or tv show rather than the original material. Do not get me wrong, sometimes the show is great, but I am a purist.

I am also a little OCD and I know that if I buy books in a series that the rest of the series tend to have the original covers. Example "A game of thrones" will have a cover related to the show but "A clash of kings" will have the original published cover. My neuroses require me to match my series as closely as possible. I struggle when I have a series of books that is partially hard cover and the rest are soft. My transition to e-books has really messed me up with some of my longer loved series :)

message 3: by Alu (new)

Alu (aluhealz) Yea same. I try to keep series covers within the same edition or publication if I can. I feel the same way to that I don't want it to seem like the adaption had any influence on why I'm reading the book. Almost always A book and movie/tv series are very different. One can argue them almost being a completely different story entirely.

message 4: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2501 comments Me too. I recently gave away a copy of I am Legend: And Other Stories because I hated the cover with Will Smith on it:)

message 5: by Alu (new)

Alu (aluhealz) Ironically enough I had been wanting to get I, Robot for forever but all I kept seeing was the cover with him on it. I was finally on the verge of breaking down because I really wanted to read it and as I was standing there holing it willing myself to walk to the counter with it I look slightly to the left of where it should have been and BAM! There was a much older version tucked in the wrong spot. you can imagine the mini-gasm I had with that one.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments I knew a person who refused to read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream with this cover: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream by Hunter S. Thompson .

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments I only see people around with The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins and A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin never ever The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins and A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin .

message 8: by Alu (new)

Alu (aluhealz) Kevin wrote: "I only see people around with The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins and A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin never ever The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins and A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin."

See even that first Clash of Kings one you posted has something mentioned about the series. Those are the same ones we sell in my store. Hunger Games I did notice with the pre-movie covers a lot more though.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments The only books that I want all the TV and Movie covers of are all the Stephen King books.

message 10: by Jack (new)

Jack | 46 comments I have gone out and purchased books (some of which I had already read) when I heard the movie was coming just to avoid the movie cover...

message 11: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments I don't mind if the cover is still pretty.
What I don't like is having the 8 pages of interior photos--they throw off the pace of the book.

message 12: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments I once heard an author say this about book covers.

What starts on page 1 is mine. Everything else belongs to someone else. If you like what I wrote, I'm happy.

message 13: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2290 comments The reason I finally broke down and bought a copy of The Postman many years ago is that I wanted one that looked like this:

The Postman by David Brin

rather than

The Postman by David Brin

message 14: by Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth (last edited Jun 10, 2012 12:57AM) (new)

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1890 comments Haha, aren't we a picky bunch, but yeah, I'm the same. I had the Sin City graphic novels before the film was made, and after lending to a few friends the first book it went missing. I can't bring myself to replace it with anything other than the original, so...:( I'm worse though, because it's not just film related differences - I've shuddered at American covers that differ so greatly from the English covers I'm used to....and they say never judge a book by it's cover! :P

Ebook readers make it easier not to worry about covers though. I probably wouldn't have liked to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo if the film related cover had been on constant display, but it was happily hidden away so I could forget about it. :)

message 15: by Candy (new)

Candy (heartlessone) | 10 comments Huh, and here I thought I was the only one with this strange neurosis...

message 16: by Jared (new)

Jared (jdhenze) | 11 comments Yeah this is one of my things too, I find I enjoy a story more as its original print form rather than the adaptation so the reminder that it was adapted on the cover causes me pain depending on the book. Also I work in a used book shop and it's ridiculous how many people come in asking for the set of books based on the Game of Thrones tv series... It takes everything in me not to slap them