The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2012: WIND/AIR > 20.4 - Author! Author! - Jecca's task: Let’s Go Camping

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 12, 2012 08:41AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17583 comments Mod
20.4 - Author! Author! - Jecca's task: Let’s Go Camping

When I think of summer, I think of my family’s annual camping to trip to Hermit Island. When I think of SRC, I think of finding new good reads by new authors. So for my very first task creation I am blending the two together.

Roll a die and read the book that corresponds with your number.

For this task you must read a new to you author.

**Please note each option has a required element to add when you post

Die Roller Please set to 1

1. S’mores – When I go camping s’mores are served every night. But s’more is not really a word at least not according to Word; it gives you the red squiggly line when you type it. Read a book that has a word in the title, subtitle, or series name that gives you a red squiggly. It cannot be a person’s name or a place. Examples: Mockingjay, Skinwalker, Darkfever or words like ain’t and wanna, Wanna Get Lucky?.
Required: Please identify the "squiggly" word

2. Hermit Island – Is an island located in Maine, for this option read a book whose author is from or is living in Maine, or a book that is set in Maine.
Required: Please include in your post the place in Maine the author is from or where book takes place.

3. Campfire – some people tell ghost stories around the campfire, my sister and I talk books. Read a “talked” about book. Examples: Fifty Shades of Grey and The Hunger Gamesare current “talked” about books (on TV, in magazines, and highly reviewed). Book club recommended reads would work, as would, books someone talks to you about and recommends and Goodreads recommendations
Required: Please include in you post where the book was “talked” about.

4. Bump-in-the-night – So, I am normally a heavy sleeper that is until we go camping and every little sound makes me jump. Read a book that makes you jump in alarm. You don't have to literally "jump;" books that are listed as horror, zombie or sound like they will be creepy via their description or reviews are fine.
Required: Please include in your post why it made you jump.

5. Beach – Most of our time camping is spent on the beach, but it is not just for swimming and sun bathing. It’s about exploring and finding new things. Read a book where someone finds something or someone. It can be something that they lost or something new; a new love, friend, themselves, an item, or conclusion.
Required: Please include what was found in your post.

6. The family – there is 10 of us that go camping together, read a book that has ten in the title or subtitle . Ten can be spelled out or numerical, or it can be part of another word in which "ten" is found intact, ex. "often"
Required: Please identify how you used "ten" when you post

Required: Please state the number you rolled when you post and that the author is new to you.

message 2: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments Books that will work and ideas:

1. S'mores-

2. Hermit Island -

3. Campfire -

4. Bump-in-the-night -

5. Beach -

message 3: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments Books that won't work

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17583 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 5: by Dee (last edited Jun 07, 2012 03:18PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7583 comments whee, i found some good ones for 2 ;) and this list from the maine state library might help people - http://www.maine.gov/msl/maine/writer... - you can select by genre, time period they wrote etc

message 6: by Fran (last edited Jun 07, 2012 04:07PM) (new)

Fran | 736 comments Fun task Jecca! I rolled a six. Checking out my tbr shelf I have these-

Ten Things We Did
Song of Oestend
Lover Reborn (tenth in series)
Demon from the Dark (tenth in series)
Bitten by Cupid
Love Me Tender

message 7: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments I rolled a five. Could rediscovering an old love be considered finding something new? I'm thinking of reading Spring Fever and the MC falls in love with her ex-husband again.

Thanks!

message 8: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Yay! I think I got one for Option 1:
Watership Down

message 9: by Riya (new)

Riya (riyaishere) | 191 comments I also rolled a six, and will be happily reading Blood Canticle (tenth in series)

message 10: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Will this work for option 4?
I wanted to read The Book of Lost Things

I found this link saying he lives in Maine and Ireland.
http://www.maine.gov/msl/maine/writdi...

Thank you

message 11: by Sara ♥ (last edited Jun 07, 2012 04:42PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I got a 1! I'm totally excited to find a red squiggly title! ;) How fun!

From my TBR:
Gregor the Overlander
Everneath
Wanderlove
The Everafter
Dramarama
Warbreaker
Intrinsical

All of these gave me red squiggly lines... I really thought intrinsical was a word, but I'm getting more red squiggles right here in this text box (thanks to Google Chrome)!

message 12: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments Dee,
Great find!

message 13: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments Fran,
While I cannot tell you which one to read because they all would work...but if you read all of the other JR Ward books, I recommend Lover Reborn! <- that would count as a recommended book :)

message 14: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments Sassafrass wrote:
I rolled a five. Could rediscovering an old love be considered finding something new? I'm thinking of reading Spring Fever and the MC falls in love with her ex-husband again.

Yes,and it is also finding something that was lost.

message 15: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments ★Meghan★ wrote:
Yay! I think I got one for Option 1:
Watership Down

I got the red squiggles! Enjoy!

message 16: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments Kathy G. wrote:
Will this work for option 4?
I wanted to read The Book of Lost Things

Yes. Split residence will count.

message 17: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3924 comments I rolled a 1 but I am lost. How do you check for the "red squiggly"?

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7583 comments i'm reading lover reborn right now and enjoying it (for the SRC member that joined during a summer month)...and did you guys see that the cover for Qhuinn/Blay's book has been released?

Jecca wrote: "Fran,
While I cannot tell you which one to read because they all would work...but if you read all of the other JR Ward books, I recommend Lover Reborn! <- that would count as a recommended book :)"

message 20: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Bea wrote: "I rolled a 1 but I am lost. How do you check for the "red squiggly"?"

You can either open a Microsoft Word and start typing in random words. If the incorrect spelling red squiggly shows up underneath the word it will work. Or if you have Google Chrome as a web browser or download it and in the text box you get the red squiggly then it will work. (By the way I did not realize squiggly was a real word :) )

message 21: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments Bea wrote: I rolled a 1 but I am lost. How do you check for the "red squiggly"?

When you misspell a word in a document it underlines it with a red squiggly line (usually). So read a book that has a word in it that is not a "real" word or when you type it in a document you get the red squiggly underline. Ain't and wanna are 2 words that come to mind and some one had a few that I am going to post as suggestions later.

Does that help?

message 22: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments Dee - I did not know the cover was released but just checked it out. I am SO excited! Thanks ;)

message 23: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Dee wrote: "i'm reading lover reborn right now and enjoying it (for the SRC member that joined during a summer month)...and did you guys see that the cover for Qhuinn/Blay's book has been released?

Jecca wrot..."

I saw the cover- can't wait for Quay!

Jecca, I am up to 10 so it works - but I know when I'm done I will be so impatient for the next one, so I've been putting it off...

message 24: by Chris (last edited Jun 07, 2012 06:58PM) (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments I rolled a 4, but I don't know which book will make me jump until a read it. I have a number of options that fall into what I consider scary/creepy and are new to me authors

New England Witch Chronicles by Chelsea Bellingeri Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

message 25: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments Fran - I hear you - I read it when it first came out and the wait is killer. But in anticipation for Thor I reread John Matthews and it was better the second time around. So I am thinking in anticipation for Quay, I will reread them all :)

message 26: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Thank you Jecca! :-)

message 27: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments I just re-read the task and it says new-to-you author is a must. That rules out a few on my list, including Lover Reborn.

Jecca, when I need a little BDB fix I re-read Father Mine: Zsadist and Bella's Story :)

message 28: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 371 comments This is a fun task, Jecca! I love Maine in the summer, especially around Ogunquit. I rolled a 2.

message 29: by Bea (last edited Jun 07, 2012 08:37PM) (new)

Bea | 3924 comments Thanks, Meghan and Jecca for the explanation of "squiggly".

message 30: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katmcv) | 457 comments Fran wrote: "I just re-read the task and it says new-to-you author is a must. That rules out a few on my list, including Lover Reborn.

Jecca, when I need a little BDB fix I re-read Father Mine: Zsadist and Be..."

Thanks, I didn't notice that either. Will have to change my plan now, was going to read the 2nd book in a series, haha.

message 31: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments I got all excited about JRWard I forgot about the new to you author part. I feel silly since this is my task...and sorry for the confusion I just caused. :(

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7583 comments lol Jecca! I was almost going to read a Tess Gerritsen since she is from Maine, then I re-read and saw the new to you author ;)

message 33: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Jecca wrote: "I got all excited about JRWard I forgot about the new to you author part. I feel silly since this is my task...and sorry for the confusion I just caused. :("

Found a few 'ten' titles that are new author for me so no worries! It's always fun to chat about BDB ;)

message 34: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) | 520 comments Jecca, I rolled a 4. I chose House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. The blurb seems like it will be a pretty scary book, but since the author (and the book) is new to me, I'm not certain it will make me jump. Is that ok?

message 35: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments I rolled a 2 so I will be reading Maineby J. Courtney Sullivan

message 36: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments Chaitra wrote: Jecca, I rolled a 4. I chose House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. The blurb seems like it will be a pretty scary book, but since the author (and the book) is new to me, I'm not certain it will make me jump. Is that ok?

Yes, it sounds pretty creepy to me. And you don't have to literally jump. Freaked out, scared, heart-racing, are all satisfactory.

message 37: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments Sam, that sounds like it will be interesting - Enjoy!

message 38: by Katy (new)

Katy | 646 comments I rolled a 2 -- in researching, I found a book I already read but that some of my fellow 2-rollers might enjoy -- Here If You Need Me: A True Story -- it's a memoir. Slightly sad but I really enjoyed the book.

message 39: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Regarding option 4, would it be safe to assume that books with zombies or with horror as genre on the book's main page would work for this task? As this requires a new to me author I can't estimate beforehand if a book will make me jump (or any of the feelings described in message 36).

I was thinking of perhaps The Forest of Hands and Teeth, Dracula or Interview With the Vampire.

message 40: by Jecca (last edited Jun 11, 2012 03:45PM) (new)

Jecca | 518 comments Isabell, Yes, because it is a new to you author, horror in the description will be fine. And/or someone in their review said it would cause that reaction. I actually read 2 of those. I have not read Dracula, but my husband did. From what he says, if you are looking for a "jump" that's the one. But any of them would be fine.

message 41: by Hettie (new)

Hettie | 131 comments Jecca, I rolled a 5. Would finding a murderer count as finding someone. I was thinking that I could read a mystery.

Thanks for the fantastic task

Hettie

message 42: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments Hettie wrote:
Jecca, I rolled a 5. Would finding a murderer count as finding someone. I was thinking that I could read a mystery.

Yes that would count and thanks I am glad you like it!

message 43: by Jayne (new)

Jayne (ceremie) | 31 comments I rolled a 3 - would a book talked about in university lectures and seminars work?

message 44: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments Jayne wrote: I rolled a 3 - would a book talked about in university lectures and seminars work?

Yes that will work :)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Checking this one would be ok for option 5:

That Summer in Ischia

"A young woman’s adventurous quest to find the truth about her mother’s past in Italy. - Her curiosity and persistence forges surprising links with two families she'd only heard about from Liddy, as she seeks her father and discovers what really took place during that summer in Ischia."

message 46: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments Pigletto - Sorry I was on vacation!!! Yes that would definitely work for the option.

message 47: by Dee (last edited Jul 16, 2012 07:29AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7583 comments Jecca for #2 - does the town in Maine need to be a real town - I was debating reading Town in a Blueberry Jam which is set in Maine, but the town doesn't actually exist - in the description is says "They conceived the idea for the Candy Holliday mysteries while driving around the Maine countryside, stopping at different small towns throughout the state."

message 48: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments Dee - it does not need to be a real town, as long as it is set in Maine.

message 49: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7583 comments thanks Jecca ;)

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Jecca. No probs with the delay. I thought you might be away.

« previous 1