Pakistan discussion

Is this still the culture in Gujrat, Punjab?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Najibah (new)

Najibah Abu Bakar (najabakar) Assalamualaykum wbt

I'm a Muslim librarian from Malaysia, have been reading from a book Malik Ram: Felicitation Volume (1972). There's an article in the book telling about this Simabi cloth store in Gujrat, where Malik Ram used to frequent during his early adult years:

The cloth stores of Mohammad Yusuf Simabi in Gujrat* was the focal point for the city’s poets and litterateurs. He used to subscribe to famous literary and political journals of the time like Nigar, Paimana, Riyasat and Narang-i-Khayal and local lovers of literature used the place as a library and a debating society. Though still a student, Malik Ram was admitted into the circle. His regular study of the literary journals and participation in the discussions as an interested observer kindled in him a real love for literature.

Is there anyone from Gujrat here, who can tell me more of the history of the clothes store (is it still there?), the literary culture of that city, etc?

Thanks!

message 2: by Furqan (new)

Furqan Hameed (fhameed) | 80 comments It will be hard to find someone from Gujrat :)

message 3: by Najibah (last edited Jun 12, 2012 02:00AM) (new)

Najibah Abu Bakar (najabakar) Just trying my luck :) - I believe in 'a message in the bottle'.

message 4: by Mansoor (new)

Mansoor Azam (azam69) | 21 comments don't think it would have survived... Gujrat isn't famous for literary circles nemore... though i pray every place shall be, God willing

P.S love the attitude of "msg in a bottle" belief. its always worth a try

message 5: by BookLove (new)

BookLove sorry, I'm from gujrat but have never heard of a cloth house by that name. hope this helps :)

message 6: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 1 comments I have little bit knowledge about Gujrat but never heard of this type of store.

message 7: by Hassanv (new)

Hassanv | 2 comments I know someone from gujrat. I will ask them and tell you

message 8: by Maira (new)

Maira | 27 comments i know little about gujrat. but can ask around for it.