Goodreads Malaysia discussion

Khabar Pengarang > Ray Bradbury, dead at 91 (1920-2012)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

Khairul Hezry | 2357 comments Mod
Ray Bradbury died yesterday, aged 91. I thought he died years ago! Still, at 91 years old he had a good innings.

His collection of short fiction (Stories of Ray Bradbury) is one of the most treasured books in my library. Known best as a sci-fi author, I prefer to remember him as a writer of the mysterious with occasional sci-fi elements thrown in. His seminal work, Fahrenheit 451, is one of the most misunderstood books ever written. Lauded as an anti-censorship story, Bradbury was actually bemoaning the rise of TV replacing books as a medium of information and entertainment. So Fahrenheit 451 was against television not censorship...which is ironic because Bradbury had his own TV show called the "Ray Bradbury Theater".

Yes, he was a hypocrite but the man could write stories.

message 2: by Najibah, Penterjemah yang mencintai kata-kata (new)

Najibah Abu Bakar (najabakar) | 2843 comments Mod
Oh, I thought it was on anti-censorship also. I should dig further into discussions of any book I'm reading next time.

message 3: by Juwita (new)

Juwita | 98 comments he just passed away? wow, didn't know that. i was looking for a copy of Fahrenheit 451 in the bookstore last month. they didn't seem to have one. well they did, but a customer just bought the last copy. now i really must get my copy. is it a good book to start with if i've never read Bradbury?

message 4: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

Khairul Hezry | 2357 comments Mod
Yeah, it should be.