Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Audies 2012

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by binter (last edited Jun 06, 2012 10:11PM) (new)

binter | 216 comments Did anyone go to the Audies? Here's a NY Times piece about it.
I would love to go one day or hear from a fan who's been.

message 2: by binter (new)

binter | 216 comments Bossypants won Audiobook of the year.

Hmmmm, I have to admit I'm surprised by this. I listened to the first part of it, enjoyed it well enough but was distracted by a different book and haven't made my way back to it yet.

What do you think? Bossypants by Tina Fey

message 3: by D.G. (last edited Jun 07, 2012 05:56AM) (new)

D.G. I was surprised by that too. Not that I've listened to it though. I'm not a fan so I'm really not interested.

Of all the books, I've only listened to Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor , which was excellent (both story and narration.)

message 4: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 473 comments Ali-ef wrote: "Did anyone go to the Audies? Here's a NY Times piece about it.
I would love to go one day or hear from a fan who's been."

Great article...like the woman in the article, I'm officially adding my attendance to the Audies to my bucket list. It would be such an interesting experience.

message 5: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2002 comments I wasn't a big fan of Bossypants and I thought their selections for books as best audio were very odd ..Like Go the F**k to Sleep it was 6 minutes for god sake and it was funny and all but didn't deserve to be in the running for audiobook of the year.

But I am glad to see the NYT giving some audiobook love & respect!

message 6: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3654 comments MissSusie wrote: "I wasn't a big fan of Bossypants and I thought their selections for books as best audio were very odd ..Like Go the F**k to Sleep it was 6 minutes for god sake and it was funny and all but didn't d..."

I agree totally. I found this year's nominees in all categories less accessible than usual, but it's only one year... there's always next year.

message 7: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2002 comments Well Male Solo & Female Solo I was very happy with as I loved both of those books Simon Vance for The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy & Rosalyn Landor forThe Winter Sea Were both fabulous! And of course who doesn't love Katherine Kellgren's narration of the Bloody Jack Series.

For me it was just the audio of the year category that was odd.

message 8: by Regan (new)

Regan | 138 comments MissSusie wrote: "And of course who doesn't love Katherine Kellgren's narration of the Bloody Jack Series."

Errr...ummm...welll...

Anyway, aside from that I haven't read or listened to Bossypants so my critique is limited, but I agree that it seems like an odd choice for Book of the Year.

Go the F--k to Sleep is one fine book -- and getting Samuel Jackson to narrate was an act of genius. It wasn't just his great narration, but the whole package, knowing the kinds of characters he plays in films, etc. Still, not quite sure I'm up to "Book of the Year" with my praise.

I worry that we're getting too focused on famous actors as narrators. I know this issue has come up in other places, and certainly some famous actors are great narrators. But people shouldn't be narrating books because they're famous actors. Seeing both Tina Fey and Samuel Jackson in the book of the year category, when they aren't normally narrators, makes me a bit nervous.

message 9: by Sara ♥ (last edited Jun 07, 2012 10:58PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 243 comments Tina Fey wrote the book. I haven't listened to it yet, but it's autobiographical and it kinda makes sense for her to read it herself...

But I agree with you about the famous actors as narrators. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it REALLY REALLY doesn't. Just because you're a great actor doesn't mean you'll be a great VOICE actor.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1584 comments i haven't listened to the Tina Fey one, but I am listening to Seriously...I'm Kidding right now and Ellen narrates it herself and she is hilarious in spots and probably one of the top 10 narrators i've listened to recently, if i had to pick

message 11: by D.G. (last edited Jun 08, 2012 06:23AM) (new)

D.G. Not to take away from Tina Fey or even Ellen (I'm sure they're very good) but I don't know that I would put in the same bucket narrators that are basically reading a book about themselves with other narrations that bring to life dozens of other characters.

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1584 comments pardon a dumb newb question, but how are nominations made for the audies?

message 13: by D.G. (new)

D.G. I'd like to know the answer to that too!

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1584 comments is it kinda like when you see movies nominated for Oscars and you are like huh...ummm....KWIM?

message 15: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 243 comments D.G. ~Shameless Hussy~ wrote: "Not to take away from Tina Fey or even Ellen (I'm sure they're very good) but I don't know that I would put in the same bucket narrators that are basically reading a book about themselves with othe..."

Oh, I completely agree with you on that! I just figure if Tina Fey is going to write a book about herself, who better is there to narrate than Tina Fey? Aren't there different categories for the Audies? I really don't know anything about them.

message 16: by binter (new)

binter | 216 comments Link to application form. A few tidbits....

Judges will consider the following:
-Creativity of Marketing and Publicity
-Results of Marketing and Publicity
-Quality of Production
-Sales
Please include SIX packets of your marketing materials for judging. The following materials, as available for the work, will be considered:

message 17: by D.G. (last edited Jun 09, 2012 03:13AM) (new)

D.G. Oh so it's about marketing and not the actual books? Oh well, now I see why big names are winning!

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1584 comments that's what is looks like to me - 3 of the 4 items for consideration are all about marketing, the 4th about production...I mean, that just irks me...I don't pick up books because they are popular or highly marketed...in fact, seeing a book shoved in my face, is a good way for me to not pick it up

message 19: by Regan (new)

Regan | 138 comments I work in public relations, and I have to say that I think those criteria just don't make sense either. I'm all for awarding creative marketing campaigns, but don't conflate them with a great book.

I want audio book awards to be about the writing and the performances.

message 20: by D.G. (new)

D.G. I work in Marketing and they don't make sense to me either, Regan. When I see awards to audiobooks, I think of the book and performance, definitely not who has more money to spend on a campaign.

No matter what people say, the money put into a campaign can have a significant effect in the results.

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 50 comments I think I've died and gone to heaven. Someone mentioned this group in another group, and I had to check it out. I've loved audiobooks ever since they were mostly abridged versions on cassettes that my local video rental place offered.

I listen to at least 30 books a year. My favorite narrators are Jim Dale, Simon Vance, and Kate Reading. I sorely miss the late, great Anna Fields (Kate Fleming) and would have listened to that woman read the phone book. (Her voice makes Bel Canto my all-time favorite audiobook.) I totally loved Katherine Kellgren's narration of the first Bloody Jack book and already have #2 downloaded. And now that I know Rosalyn Landor reads The Winter Sea, I may have to put it back on my TBR list. (Took it off because I didn't think I'd ever get to it.)

I enjoyed Bossypants quite a bit, and can't imagine anyone but Tina Fey reading it. That said, not sure it was the best of the year. The two best books I listened to last year were
Cutting for Stone and Doc.
As for "famous" narrators, I think it depends on the person and the book. I've listened to some of Henry Winkler's Hank Zipzer books on road trips with my son, and I can't imagine anyone else reading them like he can. On the other hand I remember listening to an Alex Cross book a long time ago read by Robert Guillaume and thought he was terrible. I'm lookikng forward to listening to Alan Alda read his Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself.

message 22: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3684 comments Welcome to the group, Chris!

I can remember back when my local public library had a few classics, and some mysteries, on cassette ... and that was about it. Renting audiobooks by mail, and sending them back in their postage-prepaid boxes (actually more like a "collect" phone call).

message 23: by D.G. (new)

D.G. LOL, you guys are old timers! :p

I listened to my first audiobook with an Audible free trial back when they first started. It was Pride and Prejudice read by Kate Reading. I loved it and it started my love of audiobooks AND Jane Austen (I've never read her before.)

message 24: by Mejix (new)

Mejix | 112 comments Kenneth Branagh reading The Heart of Darkness? I want to look that up!

message 25: by Karen (new)

Karen White (karenwhiteaudiobooknarrator) | 175 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Tina Fey wrote the book. I haven't listened to it yet, but it's autobiographical and it kinda makes sense for her to read it herself...

But I agree with you about the famous actors as narrators. ..."

Bless you all for this conversation - those of us who are career narrators get worried about the trend as well! On the one hand it is understandable that publishers are using celebs to heighten awareness of audiobooks in general. But it was quite sad to me to be present at the Audies where so often veteran narrators (who were present and would have appreciated being honored with an Audie) were shut out by a celeb (not present so I am assuming it was not on their radar or important to them) won the prize.

Audie nominations are made by publishers. They pay to have books they feel are worthy put into the pool. Then a committee of volunteer judges winnows down the list to 5 -7 finalists, which are then listened to by others on the committee to chose the winners. It is considered a great honor by narrators and publishers to be a finalist. Hope that answers your questions! You can find out more from the sponsor of the Audies, the Audiobook Publisher's Association.
http://www.audiopub.org/audies-contes...

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1584 comments the fact that paying is involved in nominations is scary, that in itself windows the potential nominations to publishers who can afford the nomination...

message 27: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 50 comments I am sorry to hear the "career" narrators are being passed over for celebrities. That's terribly unfair. But as to the pay-for-participation, that is the way ALL industry awards that I'm aware of work. I worked in television for more than 20 years, entered lots of productions for awards and judged a lot of others. I don't know of a single award (even those handed out by universities) for which entrants don't pay a fee.

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1584 comments maybe that is the way that all industry awards work, but to someone not in the industry, it makes no sense to me and would provide an unfair advantage to groups that can afford to enter multiple nominations, have the money to spend on the marketing (which seems to be a huge factor in the decisions) as compared to a smaller organization that might not have that money

message 29: by Regan (new)

Regan | 138 comments I don't have issues with paying a fee to enter. I do have issues with "successful marketing campaign" being a criteria for a good book.

message 30: by Lee (new)

Lee Howlett | 360 comments Karen wrote: "Sara ♥ wrote: "Tina Fey wrote the book. I haven't listened to it yet, but it's autobiographical and it kinda makes sense for her to read it herself...

But I agree with you about the famous actors..."

That's really a shame that actors nominated for an Audie don't always bother to show up. I realize that they may have scheduling conflicts but I find it depressing since they already have the advantage of being familiar to most people.