The Bridgeburners discussion

Reading Order

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Antonio (new)

Antonio (niografix) | 2 comments Could i start reading Deadhouse Gates rather than Gardens of the Moon first.?

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) I tried that twice and failed to finish it. I started with GotM and things started to make a little more sense.

There is so much in later books that refer to the story of Gardens, I think you would end up going back and reading it anyway.

message 3: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 172 comments Mod
Hello Antonio!!

You really need to start with Gardens of the Moon! I won't spoil anything for you, but I can tell you that as you reach the end of the series you will see HOW important Gardens is/was and that SE knew where he was going right from the beginning!

My recommended reading order is:

Gardens of the Moon (SE)
Deadhouse Gates (SE)
Memories in Ice (SE)
House of Chains (SE)
Midnight Tides (SE)
Night of Knives (ICE)
Bonehunters (SE)
Repears Gale (SE)
Return of the Crimson Guard (ICE)
Toll the Hounds (SE)
Dust of Dreams (SE)
Stonewielder (ICE)
The Crippled God (SE)
Orb Steptor Throne (ICE)

This is truely the best thing you are ever going to read Antonio, so enjoy the hell out of it! :)

Shells:)

message 4: by Antonio (new)

Antonio (niografix) | 2 comments thank you. I was just asking because I heard gardens was a lot harder to get into reading. looking for an epic series, besides wheel of time. I stopped at book 4 years ago. id rather check out a new series.

message 5: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

You're welcome! Honestly this is the best series written in the last 20 years, easy!

Gardens is a hard book to get into because it feels like you were dumped right in the middle of an ongoing story, and you have. Yet at the same time it really is the beginning! I think that the thing you need to remember is everyone was lost at first, but things will make since by the time you finish! :)

Finally, with the exception of Gardens, all the later books feel like they are going somewhere, and they are! :)

One of the best aspects of this series is that SE/ICE both created this world and each book enhances the other's work!

Hope you enjoy the series, and let us know if you need any help understanding any "what the hell just happened" moments you will no doubt have! :)

Totally worth the read!

High Fist Shells:O~

message 6: by Igor (new)

Igor (igork) | 1 comments Lots of people suggesting to read Orb, Sceptre, Throne after The Crippled God so that you don't break two last books.
Although I'm just on the 2nd book of the series I found GotM to be the excellent one which actually push me to continue with the series :-)

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Ward (chriswardfictionwriter) | 1 comments Interesting to read the other comments about Gardens being hard to get into. I gave up the first time I tried at about page 50, as I got lost with so many characters. I started reading it again recently and did better, I'm now over two hundred pages and its really good so far. Very impressed.

message 8: by Brent (new)

Brent Nevada (BrentNevada) | 2 comments I think all the books have lots of stories, plots, characters etc. But you just need to stick with it, Gardens is a must read for (and if only for) one moment in The Bonehunters.
Hope you stick it out and enjoy one of the best books out there.

message 9: by Cameron (new)

Cameron | 2 comments Shelley wrote: "Hello Antonio!!

You really need to start with Gardens of the Moon! I won't spoil anything for you, but I can tell you that as you reach the end of the series you will see HOW important Gardens ..."

Without trying to hijack this thread, I've heard mixed strategies on whether or not one should read the ICE additions in with the SE novels, or on their own at the end. Are there any thoughts on this?

message 10: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

Hey Cameron!

Sorry for the delay in responding, it's been a fun summer here!

Ummm honestly my thoughts are this; anyone coming to Steven Erikson now with the series complete is lucky to have the choice. For me I was introduced to Erikson when the first six books were released and ICE's first released and I read whatever I could get me hands on!! Waiting the year for A Dust of Dreams and a year and a half for The Crippled God to come out almost drove me mad!

For me I want to read a series in order, jumping around doesn't appeal to me at all.

After reading the series several times, putting in that kind of time, I stand by the reading order I listed above! :)

message 11: by Cameron (new)

Cameron | 2 comments That is the sort of impression I've been given both here and at reddit.com/r/malazan. I think I'll mix ICE's work in as per suggested when I get there.

Thanks for getting back!

Cameron

message 12: by Dwheelz (new)

Dwheelz | 2 comments Thanks for posting the reading list Shelley. As someone who is just now starting Midnight Tides, the idea of weaving in the ICE series is great. However, I notice that you don't include shorts like the Bauchelain/Korbal Broach books. Is there a good time to fit these in or is it best to read the main series first?

message 13: by David Sven (last edited Sep 27, 2012 10:35PM) (new)

David Sven (gorro) Dwheelz wrote: "However, I notice that you don't include shorts like the Bauchelain/Korbal Broach books. Is there a good time to fit these in or is it best to read the main series first? "

These can be read anytime. I believe they occur some time before the first Malazan book. The pair make a cameo appearance in Memories of Ice as well as Orb Scepter Throne, so if you had read their stories beforehand you would better appreciate their brief entries.
But ultimately you can read these anytime as they don't intersect the events of the main series at all.

message 14: by Dwheelz (new)

Dwheelz | 2 comments Thanks David. Do you recommend reading the Bauchelain/Korbal Broach books in any order other than publication date? Seems like there are 5 novellas plus the ice novel.

message 15: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) I would do those in publication order

message 16: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

Dwheelz wrote: "Thanks David. Do you recommend reading the Bauchelain/Korbal Broach books in any order other than publication date? Seems like there are 5 novellas plus the ice novel."

Hey Dwheelz!! :) Cool name! :) Welcome to the Malazan Book of the Fallen, you will never be the same again!!! :)

I would read those after I finished the entire series (both SE and ICE), which is how I read them! :) They're kinda like back fillers and pretty damn funny!! :))

message 17: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) I'd agree with Shells on that. The Korbal books are a bit of fun. If you enjoy the Korbal books I would recommend reading Joe Abercrombies First Law series and Best Served Cold. To be honest, he is the only author I have enjoyed reading since finishing Malazan as Erikson ruins your expectations. All the other books I read after seemed to have shallow characters and a thin plot. Which is unfair I know, its hard to compete with 500 characters and 13000 pages of story. But that is the way it was. Or is.

Anyway, I started the Malazan series in June last year and finished in Feb, so I did not have to wait for a book. I read the Malazan and the ICE books in the order that Shells told me to. I listen to her in all matters except poems and what the ending meant in CG.

I enjoyed my read through, but didn't think that ICE made to much difference, I think if when I read again, (2013, we are planning a group read) I will just read malazan straight through.

message 18: by Ed (new)

Ed [Redacted] (ed__) Lee wrote: "I'd agree with Shells on that. The Korbal books are a bit of fun. If you enjoy the Korbal books I would recommend reading Joe Abercrombies First Law series and Best Served Cold.

I would recommend Abercrombie even if you don't like the Korbal books. Abercrombie is just a fantastic author.

message 19: by Lee (new)

Lee (kiwifirst) Even if you can't read, I'd recommend Abercrombie. Pacey does an awesome audiobook.

:)

I guess Erikson fans make for good Abercrombie fans eh?

message 20: by Shelley, High Fist Shells (new)

Lee wrote: "I guess Erikson fans make for good Abercrombie fans eh?"

Ummmm....Yeah!!! They're both dark and realistic writers, BUT they write some hilarious characters too!!! Which puts them both over GRRM for me, because his work is dark and ONLY dark! :)