Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

Minichallenges > June/July '12 minichallenges

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Sorry everyone! I had to make an emergency unpleasant unannounced trip this weekend that threw a lot of my schedule into uproar. I just got back yesterday and wanted to get these challenges up before it becomes embarrassing to say 'Hello June!'

Here are the challenges for the next two months. They start today and end on the last day of the July readathon - July 28th 2012. Each minichallenge carries a few points. A separate thread for reporting points will be set up, where you can share all your reads and the points you got.

1. Chunkster tremor: Read one 700+ page book. (Since different editions have different number of pages, please go by the number of pages in the hardcover edition of the book, even if you are reading a different edition)
Give yourself 5 points for each book finished.

2. Summer Project. Not.: Halfway into this year, spend some time looking at your reading so far. Is there something you haven't had a chance to get to yet? Maybe start reading for a challenge, maybe plan a reading project, maybe read a book that everyone's been talking about this year (or last year), maybe read some of the award winners. Whatever it is, get started on it! (Note: this challenge is meant to help you get to the TBRs that you planned for this year but never got to yet for whatever reason.)
Give yourself 3 points for each book finished.

3. Country spotlight: This month, choose a book set in Greece or written by a writer of Greek origin.
Give yourself 2 points for each book finished.

4. Monthly specials: In the US, June is celebrated as the Gay Pride Month. Whether or not the day is celebrated elsewhere, there is a ton of literature out there dealing with this subject, in both adult and young adult categories. Choose a book that features a principal gay character (eg: Middlesex).
Give yourself 4 points for each book finished.

5. [Rachel's challenge]Author special/In memoriam: The news just came out that Ray Bradbury passed away yesterday. Did you know that he has more than 500 published works, including novels, poems, short stories and screenplays? Choose at least one of his works for this challenge. (eg: Fahrenheit 451)

6. Fortune cookie: Go to http://random.org , enter Min=1 and Max=. Click on Generate, and read the book in your pile corresponding to that number. (If you don't have access to that book, feel free to do this again and again until you come to a book that you have at home or can pick from the library.)

You can overlap only #1 with any other challenge.

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (thedoctorscompanion) | 107 comments I hope everything is back to normal now Athira!! Thanks for posting this. :)

The Summer challenge is such a great idea! And I've never read anything by Ray Bradbury, so I might give him a try!

message 3: by Zakiya (last edited Jul 23, 2012 12:34PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Let's see what I can do this month!

2. Summer Project. Not. (Been meaning to get to for a while) (3 pts)
Blue Bloods finished 20/6/2012 +3
Eighth Grade Bites finished 5/7/2012 +3
Fallen finished 8/7/2012 +3
Firelight finished 23/7/2012 +3

6. Fortune Cookie (4 pts)
#984. The Big Field
#366. Evolution Me Other Freaks of Nature

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 776 comments Mod
you guys were really quiet in June - not a lot of reading going on?

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy All the postings are on the Reporting June/July thread Dee.

message 6: by Dee (new)

lol, even so, only 14 posts...lol!

message 7: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Yeah I guess we or I mean they are busy reading.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (thedoctorscompanion) | 107 comments hahaha I'm kinda in a reading slump right now....And the fact that the 2 books I'm trying to read now are pretty thick doesn't help my numbers!

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Rachel wrote: "hahaha I'm kinda in a reading slump right now....And the fact that the 2 books I'm trying to read now are pretty thick doesn't help my numbers!"

That's when you pick up a light read. Throw something short in there that you know you will get through in no time. That has happened to me many times.

message 10: by Denise (last edited Jul 03, 2012 06:54PM) (new)

Denise Lippy | 115 comments I was on vacation in california visiting friends and family. Hpefully July will be better. Though the farmers market starts this Friday and I need to pick fruit and make jams, jelly, applesauce and fruit butters!

message 11: by Dee (new)

only if you agree to send me some Denise ;) otherwise i'll crack that get your butt reading whip ;)

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (thedoctorscompanion) | 107 comments Tracy wrote:

That's when you pick up a light read..."

hmmm...not a bad idea. One of the super long books I'm reading is actually really good, I'm just not as motivated since it's the 3rd in a series, and my enthusiasm is starting to wane.

message 13: by Tracy (new)

Tracy I know what you mean Rachel. I read Eragon and another big one back to back and I thought I was never going to get through them. I picked up a YA trilogy and was back on track. It makes you feel like you haven't read anything.

message 14: by Karrie (new)

Karrie Simone | 1 comments just came across this thread. love the idea. is it too late to join?

message 15: by Dee (new)

nope, feel free to join Karrie - you can even go back and count books that you read from the end of the last read-a-ton in May when this one started to now ;)

message 16: by Denise (new)

Denise Lippy | 115 comments Dee wrote: "only if you agree to send me some Denise ;) otherwise i'll crack that get your butt reading whip ;)"

Would love to send you some! Jams, jrllies, and fruit butters are $6 and applesauce is $8. Don't have a website yet but it's coming. I'll evern send you a list if you'd like or if you're in the area we're in the Bozrah Ct farmersmarket.